Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-26-2011, 07:02 PM   #1  
Slowly Losing it

S/C/G: 255/155.4/155

Height: 5'5

Smile The Dieting Baker?

In High School, I loved to bake and I was good at it. I have made 500 chocolate chip cookies in one night. Each one of my friends got a chocolate cake for their birthday. I would randomly make cupcakes and hand them out to everyone who walked by me. Soon I realized that this is what I wanted to do with my life, and still do to an degree.

Around my senior year, I had gained 60 pounds just during High School. When I finally came to terms with that, I started dieting. That meant no more random baking. I still bake for special occasions like birthdays, and when I do I get a taste of how happy the act itself make me.

Now that I am halfway to my goal, I am rethinking the Bakery idea. Even though it is still my passion, it is slowly being replaced by getting a degree in Accounting and staying healthy.

Any thoughts?
Casey4213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 07:06 PM   #2  
Fit Chick Summer 2013

S/C/G: 380/190/120

Height: 5'6

maybe you should open a healthy bakery modify the recipes so you can eat some and still not sabotage your diet there should be really more of those types of bakeries around
going2bskinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 07:07 PM   #3  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I love to bake. I bake all the time. HOWEVER, mostly my goods get given away. It's a challenge to have a bowl of frosting in front of you just begging to have a tasting spoon dipped in. On the other hand, I'd hate to give up something I love (baking) because of a lack of self control. So before I bake, I have a snack, then immediately pop in some fruity gum (gum + frosting = goopy mess). I still get the fun baking part, with none of the caloric damage.

I don't want to give up the things I am passionate about, and I haven't had to. I DID have to limit tasting, but I didn't have to give up baking. There are always people who want and will eat baked goods...neighbors, people with teenagers who eat like horses, my wife's coworkers, etc.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 07:24 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 261/see ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

I love to bake, too. In fact I baked a cake earlier this week (a rum cake, with a butter rum glaze). My wife and I are both on weight watchers so I calculated the points in a slice, we both had one slice after dinner, and the next day the rest of the cake went with her to work.
I think the key is to not have stuff lying around after you've baked it. At least it is for me. I can have the portion I've planned for and that's it and I'm fine. But if I have stacks of chocolate chip cookies in the kitchen I will eat WAY more than that.
There are plenty of thin pastry chefs out there, you don't have to give up your dream in order to be at a healthy weight. You can have both.
Spooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 07:42 PM   #5  
Happy Member

I bake quite often. Our church hosts various meetings of groups, and the breads and pies help feed these group meetings.

I keep a little bit of the breads and pies here at home for my DH, but I don't even taste my baking efforts.

I do enjoy the baking, and am glad I have found a way to bake things and not eat them.
JoJoJo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 07:48 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 160/135/130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooky View Post
I love to bake, too. In fact I baked a cake earlier this week (a rum cake, with a butter rum glaze). My wife and I are both on weight watchers so I calculated the points in a slice, we both had one slice after dinner, and the next day the rest of the cake went with her to work.
I think the key is to not have stuff lying around after you've baked it. At least it is for me. I can have the portion I've planned for and that's it and I'm fine. But if I have stacks of chocolate chip cookies in the kitchen I will eat WAY more than that.
There are plenty of thin pastry chefs out there, you don't have to give up your dream in order to be at a healthy weight. You can have both.
This is what I do. If I see a great cake or recipe I want to try I will make it, have a small piece and take the rest to my moms or someone's house and leave it there!
Ashley829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 09:11 PM   #7  
Slowly Losing it

S/C/G: 255/155.4/155

Height: 5'5

Those are great ideas. The best part of baking to me is seeing other people enjoy it. I am new to the healthy baking and I don't really have any good recipes. Any recipes that you recommend?
Casey4213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 09:27 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 302/ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

I bake a lot too - I just send it with my husband into work. His coworkers LOVE me.
fitkristi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 09:44 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 280/ticker/10

Height: 5'2

I'm in a similar situation. I'm on a strict low-carb no sugar diet and I'm planning a career either as a chef or pastry chef/decorator once I start school. I'm thinking that I might have to start a less strict diet like calorie counting just so I can account for bites and taste testings throughout my day without blowing myself out of ketosis or making myself sick if something has sugar in it like a sauce or a frosting.

Don't give up your dreams or your hobbies! You don't have to be overweight to enjoy baking. You could even experiment with healthier alternatives. I made a pumpkin bread with Splenda and almond flour instead of sugar and white flour that turned out delicious and moist. Bake to your heart's content and give away most or all of the goodies.
Linsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 10:18 PM   #10  
Set and determined...

S/C/G: SEE TICKER

Height: 5'6"

I love to bake too! I just made brownies, chocolate mint chocolate chip cookies, and a brownie/cookie dish for my husband's birthday. Luckily I packaged it allllll up and sent it to Texas where he's at school for the Air Force hahahaha No temptation for me!

But yes, you can find ways to make things more healthy or just give it away. ^_^
Call Me Stephanie is offline   Reply With Quote