Old 01-23-2011, 04:14 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 180/173/125

Height: 5'4"

Default i guess i need help

hey everyone ive been fat since i was in 5th grade. im motivated to lose weight now finally. the only problem is my friends see it as a huge joke. whenever i look at a pic or in the mirror all i see is a fat person that i dont want to be anymore. does anyone have tips on how to get past people who say you cant do it?

Last edited by dmm493; 01-23-2011 at 04:15 AM.
dmm493 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 05:49 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 163/142/130

Do what you need to do to feel better about yourself regardless of your friends opinions. It is your body after all, you have to deal with the issues not them. If they have this attitude dont share with them your goal just do it. Good luck
Michou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 06:37 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 216/210/140

I agree that you just shouldn't discuss weight loss with them if they have a negative attitude. Just go on about your business and do what you need to do. In the end, you're the one losing weight and you don't need their approval. Once they begin to see your progress, maybe they'll start to feel a little silly and rethink.
Northern Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 09:30 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 230/170/150

Prove them wrong
lynx101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 10:10 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 161/143/120

Height: 5'1.5"

That's horrible!! I agree with lynx101 - prove them wrong! Use their disbelief as your motivation - how great will when they notice that you are doing it??

Furthermore, I'd stop talking about it with them. I've found I can't discuss my weight loss attempts too much with others because then I feel like they're constantly policing my food and activity choices, and that drives me absolutely insane.

Best of luck!!
shadetree20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 11:02 AM   #6  
On the way down!

S/C/G: 226/ticker/150

Height: 5'10.75

Agreed with shadetree. Especially when you meet new friends/make friends when you're closer to your goal or in the very beginning. I never talk about weight stuff with anyone because then you'll never hear, "I thought you were on a diet" on your off days. Just use your other outlets for support.
redliss7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 11:12 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 168/168/135ish

I agree Prove them Wrong! I understand how horrible people can be sometimes (i used to be a waitress) usually it stems from thier own insecurities and has nothing to do with you. Its just them not likeing themselves. plus sometimes being told you cant do soemthing gives you the motivation to do it! let that be your power! and you have all us on this website we're very supportive
jackiedavis87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 12:30 PM   #8  
Its Alana Time

S/C/G: 217/ticker/150

Height: 5'4.5''

Results are the easiest way to stop people in their tracks. But you aren't losing weight for them. You are losing weight and getting healthier for you. Find the real reasons why are you starting and focus on those goals throughout this whole process. If your friends are talking negatively about your weight loss journey, stop talking to them about it. Only talk about it with those that are positive reinforcements to your goals. That is what this site was designed for. Everyone here has their own stories, but we are all like-minded in the end.

Its here where we share stories about dropping pounds, hopping back on the band wagon, fitness and food finds, etc. You can do it. We all know you can. You just have to know you can too. Best of luck (though its not luck that loses weight) and we can't wait to hear your success story too.
starmac13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 12:40 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 280/see tracker/200

Height: 5'5"

My friends are great, but they have seen me try and fail at losing weight many times, so they sometimes don't take me seriously. I agree with other posters who say to just prove them wrong.

I have been going stronger than I ever have for the past month and my friends are starting to ask ME about it. I joined a gym before my friend did and once she started going with me, she was shocked at how hard I work myself. She was trying to keep up with my pace sometimes!

Do it for you. If they push you to make bad food choices then you may have to sacrifice some of the time you hang out with them or talk to the one who you feel is most supportive and hopefully they can defend you and support you if the others are pressuring you.
somethingnew912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 12:46 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 202|200|150

Agreed. Don't talk to them about it. That's what I'm doing. I'm not talking to anyone about it - I'm just doing it. I have some very negative people in my life & talking to them about it just makes me feel worse. So, I'm just losing weight & when they see me, they'll be able to see how hard I've been working.
MaddieBPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 02:25 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 335/TICKER/180

Height: 5'8"

They're wrong, they're so wrong you can lose weight! Don't discuss your weightloss with them and they will see that THEY WERE WRONG. Prove them wrong girlie... use that as your motivation!

Last edited by aasshhlleeyy; 01-23-2011 at 02:26 PM.
aasshhlleeyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 03:41 PM   #12  
This is not a test.

S/C/G: 187/132/127.8

Height: 5'5''/165cm

Tell them where they can stick it and point out whenever they make a mistake in something important to them :P I'm a spiteful person
Iconised Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 02:19 AM   #13  
Set and determined...

S/C/G: SEE TICKER

Height: 5'6"

Maybe it's time to find new friends... friends are supposed to support you, not put you down...
Call Me Stephanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 08:51 AM   #14  
Working it out!

S/C/G: 219/ticker/135

Height: 5'4'

I disagree with not talking to them about it, unless they are blatantly making really rude comments. Sometimes friends see us trying so many times and failing that hey get tired of hearing about the same old thing and not seeing results. REAL friends, once they see you actually TRYING to make a difference will be there for you.

I'd lost and gained the same 20lbs over and over again. When I finally got serious my friends were like ehhhhh...so I started a blog. I post it on my facebook and after the first month my friends all started coming around and encouraging me, **** I get calls from people from HIGH SCHOOL (ten years ago!) telling me how I inspired them etc.

It's not for everyone but it really helps me track my progress. I've had people from all over the wrld find my blog and start reading it and emailing me...it is an amazing feeling when you know you are doing it and you have the support.

Just keep on pushing and they will come around! Real friends always do =)

Last edited by Krizstyling; 01-24-2011 at 08:52 AM.
Krizstyling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 09:26 AM   #15  
Lifes a Journey

S/C/G: 195/Ticker/170

Height: 5'5

I agree with Kriz sometimes we say we are going to do something and turn around never doing it yet we ***** about it constantly and we haven't realized yet the only people sabbotaging us, is really ourselves.

I feed of negative energy from people, so when someone tells me I can't do something I smile and nod and continue on and prove them wrong. Once the weight started shredding people began coming around more and encouraging me.

Sometime its the start of the process you need to prove to YOURSELF you can do it. Not have the mind set of needing to prove to everyone else you can. If the weight starts falling and they still don't support you, then I'd say you need to find a new group to surround yourself by. Until then forget what they've said and do it for yourself, not for them but at the same time get the awsome feeling that you just proved them wrong!
MiZTaCCen is offline   Reply With Quote