General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 01-23-2011, 12:48 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 341/321/250

Height: 5'9"

Default Is water important?

I have been trying my hardest to lose my weight and it is coming off so slowly. I eat about 1400-1700 calories a day, workout for 1/2hr (biggest loser DVD's), 2 mile walk up and down hills and a 1/2hr with wii fit everyday.

My only thought is that I am not drinking enough water. I just now started to make sure that I drink my full 64oz a day and am hoping that the weight will start to drop off.

Are there any thoughts about how much water I should be consuming?
LeslieWendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 12:56 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 195/172.8/145

Height: 5'2

There are TONS of thoughts and love and hate for water all over this site. A good rule of thumb I go by is the urine test. If it is a pale to clear color you are good. If it is dark in color you need more.
DisgruntledOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 01:08 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 234.5/ticker/130

Height: 5'4

That's good advice. I also try to pay attention to the color of the urine. I drink about 3 bottles of water of day and those are 16 ounces each. My weight is coming off super slowly too but I just keeping reminding myself that a little is better than nothing or gaining.
CurryMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 01:09 AM   #4  
155LBS LOST

S/C/G: 300/145/140

Height: 5'3"

I agree with DisgruntledOne and yes water should help aid your weight loss. You can also go by the "half your body weight in oz.'s" method.
JennieLovesKisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 10:33 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

I don't think I've read the touchy subjects on water on this forum, but I will say what I learned about water (and i think there is some truth to it).

I read that water actually helps you metabolize your fat. So, that's why so many people recommend that you drink enough when you're in weight loss mode.

Also, if your sodium is high, you will retain water and more water is the best way to get rid of that water retention.

It's also good for your skin and for your organ functions.

I drink tons of water, my only drink really, is water. I don't waste my calories in soda or juice or Starbucks.
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 11:01 AM   #6  
Smile :)

S/C/G: 180/Ticker/Ticker

Height: 5'8"

How much water one should drink is definitely a topic for discussion but I agree with a lot of what these ladies already commented. Water is definitely an important aspect of nutrition though, as we know our bodies are mostly water.
My only drinks are (mostly) water, green tea and skim milk. I used to be a big coffee drinker and I've read about the benefits of caffeine, but also that it can be bad if consumed in excess. Green tea has caffeine so I think i'm good ;-) To some that may seem too restricting, but to each their own. For me, I feel like my body doesnt need (even healthy) fruit or vegetable juices, because I eat a lot of fresh fruits and vegetables and it definitely doesnt need anything else.
I take each day differently on how much water I drink. I always have water with me (I carry one of those metal reusable bottles) and I sip throughout the day and with every meal.
I follow the oldies but goodies "your urine should be clear" "if you're thristy you're already dehydrated" ps. I'd never heard the half of your body weight in oz thing...I usually exceed that everyday but thats interesting!
Personally, if I've slacked on drinking my water (forget my bottle, get too busy) I can feel the difference.
KellyMarie90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 11:43 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 255/ticker/135

Height: 5'6"

Vitamins can change your urine color. I drink a ton of water and my pee is still pretty yellow.
rachael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 11:54 AM   #8  
Strong is the new Pretty!

S/C/G: 245/ticker/1??

Height: 5'2"

There are other tests for those that are on meds that change the color of their pee. If you pinch your skin lightly it should snap right back in place when you let go, if it is slow to go back then you need more water. There's also the once you're thirsty, you're dehydrated thing. When working out if you aren't sweating as much as you normally do it probably means you haven't been drinking enough. Your urine should also not have a strong smell if you're drinking enough and meds probably won't change that. Also the smell of sweat should be mild if properly hydrated unless you use really strong spices in your food (curry, lots of garlic, etc.).
FitGirlyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 04:42 PM   #9  

S/C/G: HW:300 Pregnancy: 160/167/185

Hydration is important. IMO, however, it doesn't matter whether or not it comes as water. I've lost 140 lbs drinking maybe 2 glasses of pure water a MONTH. But I drink tons of crystal lite, and I used to drink tons of diet soda and coffee and tea (before I gave up caffeine while trying to conceive). Also, what you eat makes a difference--water in food is just as usable to your body as any other. So if you are eating tons of fruit and vegetables, that's a serious amount of water. I pretty much live on cottage cheese and soup, and that also provides a lot of water.

So don't burn up your will power forcing yourself to drink tons of pure water if you don't like it. There are other options, and better battles to fight.

ETA: what, for you, is "coming off so slowly"?

Last edited by Shmead; 01-23-2011 at 04:43 PM.
Shmead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 05:09 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 264/202/163

Height: 5'4"

Let's start a thread on HOW MUCH WATER is needed! I am curious about all's opinion...

here is what I hae to contribute...

I drink a lot of crystal light in lieu of water and my dr. says that is fine.

I drink the same amount of water everyday. About 64 - 80 ounces a day and if I go below I see les results on the scale from what I believe is water retention. I was told once to always drink the SAME AMOUNT of waer everyday.
stacygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 12:46 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 341/321/250

Height: 5'9"

Thanks everyone for the thoughts. Never heard of the half of body weight in oz of water. I have no problem with water, it is the only thing I drink other than coffee and tea and I don't drink soda anymore.

Shmead - I have only lost 3 lbs since the beginning of the month, and I know that is good, but I would like that to be more.

Stacy - I was also wondering what is a good amount of water is needed, everything says 64oz. I have had double of that today and am still thirsty. Maybe that is just because I am reading all about water right now.
LeslieWendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 07:35 PM   #12  
Smile :)

S/C/G: 180/Ticker/Ticker

Height: 5'8"

I'm going to have to slightly disagree with some of the previous posts...and this is why its all a matter of preference (and a touchy topic) haha As the previous poster said, they had success on their plan so find what works for you. This is based on the latest studies and current information. I'm a health sciences major with a focus on health promotion (nutrition, fitness (sports and general))
The method in which you hydrate is extremely important for optimal results. Water carries nutrients to cells, carries waste away from cells, lubricates the body and helps to maintain body temperature. Fun Fact: Even a 2% loss of your hydration affects performance during a sporting event or workout.
You do get a lot of water from fruits and through beverages like tea, coffee, milk, sodas(if you drink them) and when mixed with things like crystal light which is great! The main culprit is the caffeine in tea, coffee and sodas. Caffeine dehydrates the body and is counter productive if these items are a large part of your hydration method. Drinking pure water, especially if you're following a fitness plan, is the best way to hydrate the body.
Besides, water is calorie free and can help control cravings and work to help portion control!
KellyMarie90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 07:47 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Wow, there have been a lot of threads on this topic over the years. Some people swear by drinking lots of water, others find a lot of success without paying a lot of attention to it.

Hydration certainly is important, and drinking beverages may help you feel full.

However, the recent research seems to indicate that the hydration can come from many places (as noted above) AND that the issues around caffeine aren't as big a deal as people used to think. Caffeine seems to be a diuretic as people first start ingesting it, but as their bodies get used to it, the diuretic properties decrease.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 07:54 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 290/283/150

Height: 5'10"

I don't think it hurts to drink 8 glasses a day, but when I was trying to go for 64 oz a day, I was peeing like once an hour, and it was absolutely clear. I don't know about you guys, but I don't want to have to run to the bathroom 15 times a day! Now I drink a glass with every meal (so maybe 24 oz) and my pee is not clear but not dark either. But I'm willing to give up a little hydration to only have to use the bathroom a few times a day.

But your results may vary. I eats lots of fruits and veggies, and I also love soup, and I think I get a lot of my water needs from that! I think that if we're getting lots of water from our food, we might not need to drink a full 64 oz.

Anyway, for me, I find that when my urine is a deeper color and I can really smell it (stronger odor), I need water, but otherwise, not really.
megwini is offline   Reply With Quote