General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 01-21-2011, 02:34 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 220 (2007) 159 (now)/159/140

Height: 5 feet, 8.5 inches tall

Default Vacation!

The husband and I take a trip for our anniversary every year rather than getting one another gifts, and we're stuck on where to go this year. We're both terrified to fly but decided that since this may be our last totally uncomplicated trip (about to try for a baby), we want to bite the bullet and get on a plane.

We thought about Vegas, but we hate to gamble. Considered locations in Colorado, as well as NYC. And San Francisco.

So we're open to suggestions at this point...where have some of you "chicks" been, and what were some of your favorite destinations?
MindiV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 02:36 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

As a new mom, I'd say go wherever is the most pain with a baby Hehe. I'd probably go for NYC myself so you can really experience some of the amazing nightlife, restaurants, etc

Last edited by sacha; 01-21-2011 at 02:36 PM.
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 02:40 PM   #3  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Total aside, but what about flying terrifies you? I'm a former fearful flier who has to fly quite a bit for work (now I'm just an "uncomfortable" flier...no longer terrified, though it still isn't my favorite activity) and might have tips to help you get through it with as little pain as possible.

What time of year is your anniversary? That affects destination a considerable bit. SF is nice, but this time of year is sort of cold and blah...but it's magical in late summer. NYC is good year round, if you're OK dealing with cold/snow, and lots of things there could qualify as a last hurrah before baby...shows, nightlife, big fancy dinners, etc (but it is pretty expensive). Vegas is something you either love or hate.

Last edited by mandalinn82; 01-21-2011 at 02:41 PM.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 02:43 PM   #4  

I've never been on a plane. I also get HORRIBLY motion sick. My husband has been on a plane once, and it had to make a rough emergency landing after starting to lose its engines. He hasn't been on a plane since...

Our anniversary is July 4, and we're wanting to go on a trip from June 30-July 3 (to give us time to recover when we're both off work on Monday, July 4). We've got some time to plan, still.
Old 01-21-2011, 02:50 PM   #5  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

The first time I went to NYC, I actually didn't like it very much but the subsequent trips were awesome. I do recommend it and say go, see a show! I've seen Wicked and Mamma Mia!

I like Washington DC (which I live outside of) a lot but I think it is pretty kid friendly as there are lots of free museums and things to do with kids.

Denver and Colorado Springs are great for hiking but again, pretty kid friendly overall.

I grew up in CA and I've only been to San Francisco once (although I've been 'near it many times). I wasn't too impressed when I went and I'm not a big Northern Cali fan. I did like Monterey, CA (south of SF) a lot when I went there though. I like San Diego but that is because I'm from there. LA has some interesting points but I'm not sure I'd recommend it.

I'm not a Las Vegas fan at all.

I've been to Chicago quite a few times and I liked it but I think I'd recommend NYC over it.

Philly is interesting to visit but again, I'd recommend NYC over it.

Miami/Florida keys is fun for relaxing vacation and I have great memories there but it is also pretty kid friendly.

Asheville, NC is a nifty small town which I've been to a few times and I like a lot. If you like mountains, it is fun but Denver/Colorado springs is fun for mountains.

I absolutely love Albuquerque, NM but being in Texas, that is a shorter trip for you than me.

So I think I'd say NYC
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 02:53 PM   #6  

Nelie, we were also looking at spots in Arizona and New Mexico. Ruidoso, NM, is a popular place for people around here.
Old 01-21-2011, 02:58 PM   #7  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

My advice - be bold. Take some anti-motion sickness pills and get on the plane. Of course that is just me

I like NM a lot but the thing that drove me crazy there was things closing early. There was some decent hiking (with plenty of rattlesnake warnings) and good food. Sopapillas are one of my favorite things.

Oh I also forgot Atlanta which I thought was interesting but I think there are a lot of other cities I'd recommend before it.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 03:03 PM   #8  
Berry and Me

S/C/G: 235/ticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Seattle, WA was where my husband and I went on our honeymoon and I loved it there. I also like San Diego, CA.

When we went to Seattle we purchased city passes and for around $100 we got to go to a bunch of museums, the zoo, the space needle, a cruise around the bay, the aquarium, the science place, ect. We had dinner at the Space Needle's Restaurant and it was the best meal I've ever had. We had so much fun. In the evenings we would explore the city and did a ton of walking.

When we went to San Diego I got passes for Sea World, San Diego Zoo and the Wild Life Park so we did those three parks and also the beach. That was a great trip too. Exhausting, but very fun.
Lauren201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 03:42 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

We had our last "childless" vacation (well, I was 5 months pregnant) in Seattle too, and it was amazing. We only live 2 hours north in Canada so we just drove, but Seattle really is a beautiful city. The Argosy romantic cruise is fantastic, along with the walks, the scenery. Not sure about the night life (wasn't really in a party shape at that point lol).
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 03:51 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 183/ticker/120

Height: 5'2"

I would pick NYC. Go see some shows (hard to do once you have young kids) and some shopping.
Rated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 05:13 PM   #11  
I was born this way hey!

S/C/G: Not telling/Shh/150

Height: 5'3

My husband & I do the same thing! For our anniversary in Dec, we went to Atlantic City & NYC. We stayed in a HUGE suite at the Trump Taj Mahal. We did a little bit of gambling, and hubs won $$$ playing Blackjack!! Then on our actual anniversary, we rented a limo to take us into NYC, and it was totally perfect. It was my 2nd time there, and hub's first time. We walked around the city for the most part..and used the limo when we needed to escape the coldness or go to someplace that was too far to walk to. We LOVED seeing all the Christmas decorations. It was hands down, one of the best anniversaries ever. I dunno how we're going to top that for our 7th. (unless the hubs finally surprises me with a trip to Europe! LoL!!)

For our 5th anniversary, we went to DC (we're stationed in MD, so it's a nice half hour drive there) We were broke on our 4th anniversary, so we just stayed home, lol! On our 1st, 2nd & 3rd, we spent the weekend in Seattle. But then, we were stationed in WA during that time.

Last edited by Shopaholic1204; 01-21-2011 at 05:32 PM.
Shopaholic1204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 05:23 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 252/see ticker/199

Height: 5'7"

If go to New Mexico I'd recommend a stop by Carlsbad Caverns. It's about 2 1/2 hours away from Ruidoso so it would depend on your final itinerary.

If I was to go somewhere without kids in the continental US, hubby and I would go to Key West. He's been there serveral times on detachment in the Navy but I never have. He loves it and it's really laid back. He drove from Fort Worth to Key West with only a one hour nap (not recommended!).
XLMuffnTop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 05:29 PM   #13  
I was born this way hey!

S/C/G: Not telling/Shh/150

Height: 5'3

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLMuffnTop View Post
If go to New Mexico I'd recommend a stop by Carlsbad Caverns. It's about 2 1/2 hours away from Ruidoso so it would depend on your final itinerary.
OMG!! That is one of my fave places!!!
Shopaholic1204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 06:39 PM   #14  
Clawing my way back

S/C/G: 290/ticker/140

Height: 5'

NYC. I love New York!

As others mentioned, you can take in a show on (or off) Broadway, which I did the last time I was there. I also went on a double-decker night tour that went from Times Square to lower Manhattan and out to Brooklyn. I went on an evening boat tour, a daytime helicopter tour around the Statue of Liberty (if you want to actually go to the statue, there are boats that can take you there). I went to the site of the former World Trade Center to pay my respects. I went up the Empire State Building, rubbed the bull on Wall Street, went out to Coney Island, and spent a bit of time in Times Square. There are a lot of museums you can go to if that's your thing. I cannot wait until I can go back sometime, hopefully after I am finished school.

Last edited by Ookpik; 01-21-2011 at 06:40 PM.
Ookpik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 08:06 AM   #15  

Right now we're leaning toward Ruidoso....he's chickening out on the plane!

I told him he has until our 10th anniversary to get over it, because we're going to Italy. Either WE are, or I am....but I'd like for him to be with me.