PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 01-18-2011, 01:29 AM   #1  

Default Carb or no carb?

I have dieted for the last40 years and saw success with low carb..or should I say NO carb. I hung on until I couldn't do it any longer...gave up and went back out and ate and gained it all back. I have done all the self help programs and am now a full blown diabetic. Insulin makes me gain weight and i am at my whits end. Is it really possible to do a low carb diet and gain some success? I know i sound CRAZY but i am not...I have bought all the books and have been searching frantically for a way to gain some control over myself before i die from the diabetes. How many carbs should I eat? Should I exercise? Any advise from someone who has been there and is having success would be gladly accepted...Thanks Patty
PStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 01:45 AM   #2  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Def. exercise. That helps get rid of extra insulin in your bloodstream. Start with simple walks if you need to.

Do you have a blood glucose meter? Are you under doctors care? Have you been sent to diabetes class?

Spend some time thinking about yourself and your habits.

How do you like to track? Just calories? Diabetic exchanges? On paper? Online? Measuring cups? Scale?

Do you drink a lot of your calories? If so, maybe switching to water could be a first goal.

Are you eating every 4 hrs or so? Pairing the carbs with protein so you don't spike? Do you have trigger foods? Can you avoid buying them?

Do you eat for non-hunger reasons? Stress? Lonely? Bored?

What do you like to eat? American? More exotic? Here's some basic diabetic plans. They are links in red after you scroll down to about the middle of the page.

http://diabeticgourmet.com/Food_and_...Meal_Planning/

If you need it more like a 40-30-30 split, the PCOS exchanges are here:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/pcos...uide-pcos.html

I'm happiest on low-gi, and for that I like Helen Foster's book. Very colorful, very straight to the point, and the recipes aren't anything crazy or hard. It is easy to find used:

http://www.amazon.com/Good-Carb-Diet...5333108&sr=8-2

HTH!
A.

Last edited by astrophe; 01-18-2011 at 01:50 AM.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 09:28 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

I also want to know if your using the term carbs to refer to breads, pastas, rices and other grains, or if you mean the carbs in vegetables and fruits?
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 09:31 AM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I really like things like South Beach diet which emphasize low GL/GI vs low carb. I have PCOS, lost weight via reduced starchy/refined carbs. I used South Beach diet as somewhat of a guideline in terms of what I should be eating and what I shouldn't. I've since gone vegan and my carb intake is 60-70% of my calories.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 10:16 AM   #5  
It is what it is...

Hi, I have diabetes type 2 ...I dont do low or no carb but I definitely do "lower" carb ...I dont really eat sweets or potatoes or white rice...I limit my carbs to "good" carbs only ...I am sure you would see positive results just by doing that ...
Satine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 10:22 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 163/142/130

I eat a lot of carbs, but they are not equal. One cup of swiss card is carb and so is white bread. The trick is to find carbs that are nutritional such as , vegetable, fruits, whole grain and dairy.

I do not eat anything that is white such as bread, rice and pasta. Whole grain for me but in small limited quantities, I need the fibers and nutrient they provide and the slow release of energy and beside they conquer my hunger.

Dairy consist of skim milk and fat free yogourt that have no artificial sweetener. I gave up cheeses to difficult to control my consumption.

I drink water mostly beside a black coffee. No fruit juices too many calories without the of the fiber. Beside juices increase my appetite.

I eat a lot of bean again they provide a good source of energy and also increase my protein.

Lots of vegetables, zucchini, sweet potatoes, red peppers, swiss card, asparagus, etc, most grilled in the oven with herbs. Fruits for desert.

I consume some fish also for protein since it is low fat and a good source of Omega 3.

My calorie intake average 1200 a day, no hunger, plenty of energy that is steady through the day and loosing weight. So you see lots of carbs for me but the right kind.
Michou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 11:09 AM   #7  

Default Thanks for carb or no carb support

I went to a overeating support group years ago and lost weight..It was 3 weighed and measured meals a day with nothing in between. No flour or sugar or starchy veggies. One fruit a day, lots of green veggies. I was 30 years old when I did that. I was able to stay strict on that way of eating because every night I would go to a meeting and socialize with the other people there and became obcessed with the lifestyle. Never mind I had a husband and 2 kids at home. I couldn't stay clean perfectly anymore after a few months and quit going. It was becomeing a social event for me. Life goes on and here I am many years later with diabetes. I still try to eat that way but I can't stay abstinent for 1 day. Since the last day I went to the program I've graduated from college, gotten a teaching job and went on to get my masters degree...but I am still struggling with the food. I do go to the doctor, I have a meter, I have been to the diabetes classes, I have oral meds I take, I have insulin I am supposed to take, but I don't like to because I hear it makes one fat..(Go figure my way of thinking) I sound like a big LOSER not knowing the right thing to do...but I figure you all know more about the agonizing way I feel better than any doctor or nutritionist. How many carbs a day should I eat to see some success on my meter and the scale? Thanks for letting me vent...Patty
PStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 11:29 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

Well, personally, I would start taking the insulin.

The problem with diabetes, if it's Type II, is that your pancreas isn't providing the right amount of insulin in your body.

Insulin helps you digest the carbohydrates that you are eating.

So, I would start by actually following your doctor's orders and seeing if that helps you in the first place.

Then, I would start following the diet that worked for you. I agree that you may have food issues and you may want to consider going to a therapist to help you figure this out.

You have to manage your diabetes to see success in the meter and the scale. But if you ignore it because you "heard" it makes you gain weight, then you're never going to succeed.

Yes, you have to exercise to help you balance your blood sugar and yes, you have to eat lots of vegetables and avoid the cookies and cakes and chocolate bars and potato chips and ice cream and pretzels.

There's a lot that's going on here but I really think following your doctor's orders and then taking baby steps with each thing you need to change (substitute juice/soda/coffee for water, add more veggies to your diet, substitute whole grains instead of refined) is the way to go.

You aren't going to lose all your weight in one week. In fact, this isn't about losing weight for you anymore. It's about your health and your quality of life. The scale doesn't matter as much as what that meter and your doctor is saying.

Take care of yourself. You're the only one that can do it.
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 04:25 PM   #9  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

First, I'm not your doctor. I would seriously go talk to him/her and if you can't, fire them and get one you CAN talk to.

My suggestions?

1)Take your insulin and your oral meds. (Metformin? Glumetza?)

2) How much do you weigh? Tack a 0 on. If you weigh 200, then 2000 calories. If you weigh 150, then 1500. Don't stress about it, just do it. You have to start somewhere, at that at least puts you in the ballpark. Pick a diabetic exchange plan close to whatever it is you are at. This is maintaining level for a sedentary person, more or less. Again -- here are several plans:

http://diabeticgourmet.com/Food_and_...Meal_Planning/

3) Keep a food log for at least a week, maybe 2! WITH your blood glucose readings: fasting, before eat and 1 hr after eating. Or go to 2 hr after eating. Just by doing that you will see which foods are causing you to spike, and how badly. Practice serving out your diabetic exchange portions with measuring cups/kitchen scale. Keeping it at 400 ish calories per meal spread out 4 hrs apart should be ok on your meter. Certainly not more than 500 cal at a time. Even if wonderfully balanced with the carbs, proteins and fats, too much at once it still to much at once at guess what happens? Yep, a spike!

If you are doing 400 calories at a time like 40% carb (about 160 calories or 40 g from carb), 30% protein ( 120 calories or 30 g protein) and 30% fat (120 calories or 13 g fat.)

If you don't like something on the menu, exchange it for an equivalent other thing you do like. That's why they are exchange lists!

There's lots of places online to download the exchange lists, but I like this pocket booklet:

http://www.amazon.com/Official-Pocke...5385629&sr=8-1

You can google "exchange lists" if you want to print them out.

4) Once you have kept your food log for a bit... NOW think about a baby change. If you were at the 2000 cal plan, maybe go to the 1800. Do NOT take a big jump down to the 1600 or 1200. Being hungry only makes people crazy, and makes it harder to stick to plan.

5) Start walking, or swimming or whatever other gentle exercise you plan to do. Like the food log, start wherever it is you are -- 10 min, 20 min, 30 min. But DO IT. Then add on when you are stronger.

6) If you did well with your group, can you find another again? Why not go back?

GL!
A.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:33 PM   #10  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

It sounds like you go overboard on whatever diet plan you are on. Atkins isn't no carb, it is low carb. why did you go no carb? Over doing is likely part of your undoing. You are not eating in a sustainable way. Why not look at some of atkins higher carbs eating, like owl etc. remember that induction is to help get rid of cravings. BUt you can move to owl very quickly and reintroduce healthy carbs. But I am worried that you keep dieting in unhealthy ways, and don't want to be guided by healthy plans. Until you are ready to make sustainable changes you may be making it too hard for yourself to succeed.
We really want to be supportive, so I am sorry if I sound harsh. I too have difficulty sticking to plan at times. None of us is perfect, but we have worked at getting it better, if not right every time. HOpe you connect here and keep coming for support and get things into control.
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 11:05 PM   #11  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

PS: I don't know how long ago your official diabetes dx was.

I forgot to add... if you feel like being in denial is a part of the problem, seek counseling for this. Sometimes people with the diabetes dx do go through this "denial" thing and don't want to make the changes or comply with meds because doing so would be "admitting" or "accepting" that there's a problem.

http://www.diabetes.org/living-with-...th/denial.html

I just would hate to see you stuck at the "don't want to embrace my condition" place.

I've been there several times over with PCOS, IR (prediabetes), hypothyroid... and YES! I had the tempter tantrum like "Why me!?" and "I don't WANT this! It isn't fair!"

But sooner or later one has to go "Screw it! I don't WANT it, it isn't fair... but it is what it is. I'm NOT going to let this control me! I'm going to beat it back!"

Then do what needs to be done. I've managed to get off the Metformin. (I didn't need insulin shots). My SIL got off her insulin shots and lowered her Met. She's working on trying to get off it too. It CAN be done. Start where ever it is you are at, and go forward from there.

GL!
A.

Last edited by astrophe; 01-18-2011 at 11:15 PM.
Old 01-24-2011, 02:56 AM   #12  
Funny Bunny...

S/C/G: 246/234/148

Height: 5'7''

I feel you, I have the best success with carb restriction too.

I do best on a gradual carb restriction.

Carbs in the morning are ok, carbs for lunch are acceptable, carbs for dinner are a no go. That way you can still eat carbs (Lord knows I love my carbs) and overall go Low Carb.

Generally I'd say my approach to carbs is more Low GI than Low Carb though, the quality of the carbs is more important than the quanity.
vexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:53 PM   #13  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I've also dieted on and off for about 40 years (since I was in kindergarten), and this is my longest and most successful attempt, even surpassing prescription amphetamines at 13 (my previous "record" of 70 lbs lost, which I regained when the meds stopped working).

Quote:
Originally Posted by PStanley View Post
How many carbs should I eat?
There is no perfect answer. Even for you. Pick a number and see how you do and how you feel. Keep a food/emotion/symptom journal so you can learn. I discovered that I lose best on low-carb. I lose very slowly on 1500 - 1800 calories of high-carb (and I'm insanely, painfully hungry). On 1800 calories of low-carb I'm far less hungry and lose more steadily. I fail (by my old definition of 24 hours of perfection) more often than I succeed, but I've "failed off" 88 lbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PStanley View Post
Should I exercise?
Yes, but that doesn't mean that days that you don't exercise don't count. Exercise helps me more in feeling better than it does weight loss, but feeling better gives me more inner strength and stamina to stay on track, even if my progress is slow.

If you can find a warm water arthritis exercise program in your area, or a pool that keeps their water temperature in the mid 80's I highly recommend it. Even if you only tread water. I love our area's warm water pool (I did need a referral to my doctor). Our local therapy pool charges $5 - $7 per visit/class and some insurances cover the cost (ours doesn't).

My husband and I are both diabetic, and my husband wouldn't take his insulin either (I didn't realize this for a long time, because he usually gets up before me and goes to bed later. I never saw him take his meds, so I assumed he was taking it).

When I found out (realized we hadn't bought insulin and needles in a very long time), he confessed and said that he didn't like using the needles, and that by not taking the insulin he was "more motivated to eat right." He promised he'd start taking it again if his A1C had not improved at his next checkup.

His diet did dramatically improve, but his A1C didn't (it skyrocketed). So did his fasting blood sugar. I was so upset, because it was so dangerous for him not to be taking his meds, and I could see the increase in symptoms he was having.

Hubby isn't an organized dieter, he's just cut back on high-carb foods and cut out second helpings. I follow various exchange plans.

I say various, because I have to control carbs to different levels at different points of the month. I have severe PMS hunger and the only way to control it is to eat virtually no carbs during "that week."

I was very much inspired by the exchange plans I found on the hillbillyhousewife website (which explains 4 different calorie levels of 3 different carb levels).

http://healthy.hillbillyhousewife.com/foodplans.htm

I actually modified mine a bit to follow different plans as my needs vary. I don't lose as much on the higher carb 1800 calorie plans as I do on the 1800 low-carb plans, but I use the higher carb plans for situations in which low-carb is difficult (for example eating with friend's at their house or a restaurant they picked, or eating at a family gathering where I'm not bringing food to contribute).

I've lost my 88 lbs so far, on probably half a dozen different plans, including Atkins, South Beach, Primal Blueprint, and many variations of exchange plans.

You can tweak your food plan as much and as frequently as you want. In the past, whenever I quit one diet, it was always to gain weight (usually all I had lost and some extra on top of it) before starting another. I realized that had become a "tradition" that I had learned, and that I had to unlearn it.

Start experimenting, write down your experiments, and keep tweaking until you find a plan that you find successful and doable.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 10:49 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 270/162/150

Height: 5'2

I know I wasn't the original poster - but thanks for all the helpful info. Especially the exchange lists. I have a hard time weaning myself of the carbs I love - potatoes, bread and Cherry Pepsi!!! I start good getting away from them but always seem to fall back into the trap. I'm not as bad with the Pepsi as I am with the bread and potatoes. So maybe I'll convert to wheat bread and really follow the exchange list for what I should and can have. Thanks again this was a very helpful post
yagirlsthatruth is offline   Reply With Quote