Lighten Up! Feeling a little stressed out over your diet? This forum is for you! Laugh a little, relax, and take a load off!

Old 01-16-2011, 11:32 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 236 / T(176*) / 145

Height: 5' 5

Default Humerous Adventures in Bra Shopping!

After much effort, today I was able to drag my sister and one of our friends to Lane Bryant to take advantage of their current bra sale. My sister is a lot smaller than I am, but is extremely curvy for her height; since LB goes down to a 36 band (and she usually wears 34 or 36), we figured she could at least check them out. Her wardrobe had been driving me insane, however, because she was not wearing the right size bra, and you could definitely tell.

The friend we were with has not had a proper fitting since gaining at least 50 pounds, so she went first. According to our very helpful sales person, she needed to go down a band size and up two cup sizes to a DDD. So she was dragged around the store, handed lots of styles and deposited in a fitting room.

Then the associate turned to my sister. She measured for her band size and agreed she would be on the small end of their selection, but they might work. Then she asked what size my sister was currently wearing. Her answer was "36C". The sales lady immediately made the most terrific face and replied with a great big sigh, "Oh, Honey.....". She then showed her into a 36DDD, which fit her fantastically.

I had my fitting done next, and hee hee. Guess who was wearing the correct size? WIN!

The story only gets better when we then took my sister by Victoria Secret, a store she had never before entered. I am pretty sure that I have read elsewhere on these forums that their measurement scheme is.... not so good for the better endowed ladies. So we cornered an associate to measure her. The sales girl measured her and announced she was between a 34 and a 36 band size -- doing good so far! Which she immediately followed with, "Oh, and definitely a C cup!"

I would think that being around bras all day, they might be able to tell a little bit better from visual inspection that someone with a huge bust line and rather small chest otherwise is not, in fact, going to be a C.
kaebaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 11:36 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 229/220/170

Height: 6'0'

I hate getting sized at VC. It's never been accurate. Whatever size I am, there's always boobage overspill. I used to be able to wear LB but since the weight loss I've been able to find great ones at JCPenny. Same size as the ones at VC, but they actually cover everything and look cute too!
chickybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 11:45 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 236 / T(176*) / 145

Height: 5' 5

At my current size (down to a 40 band) I could probably technically fit into some of VS's larger selections myself... at LB and JCP I am in a 40D (and a bit, but hey. Working on that ) ... and according to the helpful associate from VS, I should be in a 40B!!!
kaebaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 12:11 AM   #4  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

I never heard that before about VS but that's been the case with me, too - I think sometimes I wanted to fit into a particular one and then bought it and rarely wore it again. Grr. What a diff - 36C vs. 36DDD! i'm going to be on the alert now!
nationalparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 02:28 AM   #5  
I was born this way hey!

S/C/G: Not telling/Shh/150

Height: 5'3

My friend always thought she was a 34D..but she got sized at JCPenny & was told she's actually a 36DD. Well..we went to VS, and she was told the same thing. So they aren't always wrong. As for me..the bras at LB never fit me. The band is always the right size, but their C's are WAY too big for me. I can stuff a lot of tissues in it, just to fill it up. I have to wear a B there. The C's at VS always fit me better, but the B's are too small. I dunno why that is.

Last edited by Shopaholic1204; 01-18-2011 at 02:28 AM.
Shopaholic1204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 12:34 AM   #6  
This is MY YEAR! XD

As sad as it is to say ... I think I better be fitted for a bra again. Luckily I was fitted for one at Victoria Secret, and so that is the size I went by.
Which would explain when I went into LB a week ago to take advantage of the sales ... The bras didn't fit me! XD haha thanks for sharing this story, now everyone will be aware of another VS blunder!

Last edited by InItToWinIt; 02-02-2011 at 12:34 AM.
InItToWinIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 12:38 AM   #7  
This is MY YEAR! XD

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaebaka View Post
... and according to the helpful associate from VS, I should be in a 40B!!!
Right!? By VS standards I'm a B as well, but in LB, I think I'm surely moving on up past a D!
Maybe those girls at LB should have a tutoring session with those little angels that work at VS!
InItToWinIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 09:34 PM   #8  

S/C/G: >138/124/114

Height: 5'4"

I've outgrown VS in my band. Nordstroms has me in a G cup. I bet a VS saleslady would have me in a C. Last time I was there they tried 34c, 36c, 38c rather than (god forbid) put a 13 year old in a d. Turned out I needed an E.
Esenin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 10:04 PM   #9  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

That's why it is good to know how to measure yourself. I've been fitted before and sometimes they are right and sometimes they are wrong. I know I'm plus size -- but c'mon.

And then when I was fitting for a nursing bra -- lordy! They were bananas. I ended up going with a regular non-underwire bra in my nursing career and just hiked that guy up.

A.

Last edited by astrophe; 03-05-2011 at 10:04 PM.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 08:17 AM   #10  
You mad bro?

S/C/G: 228/164.6/128

Height: 5'3"

I got fitted by a friend who worked at VS and she told me I was a 38D. This was also when I was a lot heavier, and was wearing a 42D from LB. I know I've gone down a band size, but since going on the Pill I've actually gained another cup size (hoorayyyy -_____-) so now I think I might be a 40DD. Next time I make it out to LB I think I'll get myself properly fitted.

I hate bra shopping
Laneyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 08:49 AM   #11  
A chick on a mission!

S/C/G: 229/ticker/145

Height: 5'4.5

OK, such a silly question coming...How do they measure you..i know the at home method but please tell me they take you to a dressing room? Shirt on or off? Sounds like I need to head to a LB next week! Thanks
Ladybird1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 07:59 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 404/306/170ish

Height: 5'7"

I would rather have a root canal than bra shop
projectjudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 05:19 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 255/ticker/185?

Height: 5'6"

After I had gotten my tax return this year, I took a much needed trip to the outlet stores. I hadn't been there in years, but I sooo needed new bras. There is a Hanes-Bali outlet store there.
The lady who waited on me, Hailey, was awesome! She measured me, I was wearing not only bras that were in need of replacing but a size too small. She helped me selected 3 of the most comfortable yet supportive bras. I actually LIKE wearing my bras now! They have padded straps so they don't dig & the actually hold up what I inherited from my grandma & mom! This is how comfy they are...I've actually fallen asleep with one on, which was unheard of with my other ones!
I guess my aunt was right. "A good bra can make all the difference in the world." She ought to know, she ran her own successful dress shop for over 25 years!
Ladies, when you are ready...get measured & invested in a decent bra or 2. If you're endowed, your back/shoulders & all the rest will thank you!
MrsTryingAgain is offline   Reply With Quote