Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Closed Thread

Old 11-25-2002, 12:21 PM   #1  
Uber-Moderator!!

Thumbs down BFL/BB #78 - Thanksgiving week (25 Nov 2002)

Hope everyone is having a great (short) week and had a FAB weekend!

Since the server here at 3FC was being changed, I didn't even log in except a couple of times. I was actually a busy bee this weekend - Jim and I took my nephew to the stables with us on Saturday morning - he had a great time feeding carrots to the horses and got to ride Freight for a little bit - well one of the instructors led him around anyway! Less than two weeks until my show in the East Bay...and one of the big tack shops in the Bay Area was having a major sale this weekend - since I'm getting my bonus this week, Jim and I drove to Cupertino and I went a little nutz...bought some new Ariat boots...a show helmet...vest and 'ratcatcher' shirt...the boots were marked down from $180 to $99 - the shirt was originally $50 but had a 75% markdown...the other two items were 20% off so I am a happy camper indeed! Nothing like a little shopping to get your spirits up!

Thanksgiving this week...aackk...

I have been struggling nutritionally lately - but not with my workouts. It IS tough getting out of our nice warm bed in the morning, but again, once I'm up, I'm rarin' to go It's the NUTRITION right now that is tripping me up big time. Probably a lot has to do with the season - getting cold out at night - the time of year when I feel the urge to cocoon and make 'comfort food' - you know, stuff like mashed potatoes, meatloaf, stews, etc. But I have Miami coming up fast - the end of January isn't that far off - and I want to be lean and strong like last year, rather than look like a stuffed Christmas sausage! So I'm starting with writing down my menus the night before again - that always helps me. I am going to have Monday - Thursday morning be PERFECT nutrition days, then have a good Thanksgiving dinner...then PERFECT again until Saturday 7 December (the night before my show - Dee Dee's taking the whole crew to Outback Steakhouse).

Sweet Chick - sounds like you're doing well! That big BF% drop sounds a bit impossible though - what method are you using to measure your BF? And is it the same person each time? Just curious - some methods are more reliable than others (although NONE of them can claim 100% accuracy).

Sounds like everyone's having good results - what are your plans for Thanksgiving? Are you going to move your Free Day to Thursday or (horrors) eat clean??? No way for me - I can't miss my Mom's cooking!
Old 11-25-2002, 01:06 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 208/ticker/140

Height: Height: 5'4"

Default Chilli!!!!!!

Yes, Ledom thanks for the suggestions. I'm gonna make up a BFL corrected chilli recipe. Only problem, I'm gonna have to eat it with a spoon. (My usual chilli vector is taco chips!!!!)

I do make and eat pamcakes every morning, they too are getting boring ..... I do make chicken rollups with peppers, salsa and a dollup of non-fat yogurt rolled up in a ww tortilla. I have three weeks to go on this first challange, and I want to finish strong. So I've gotta get off my butt and work out the food thing. I think I can adapt my nasi goring recipe to be BFL too. And .... make it not be "nasty and boring"

Well, the big "40" party is over!!! We had so many guests and so many house guests all weekend that I'm afraid that dh and I pretty well had two free days: party day (saturday) and actual birthday (sunday) Sigh ....... regrets ...... back on track today !!!!!

Last night dh was washing up some dishes and broke a wine glass in his hand and cut a big chunk out of his finger, we had to spend the last 4 hours of his birthday at the hospital getting stitched up. Luckily, mil was visiting so we didn't have to wake the kids up. Anyhow, he is now hoping this won't affect his lifting too much. Luckily this is leg day, so we should manage pretty well.

As for turkey day, ..... luckily I am Candian and won't have to move my free day!

Happy Thanksgiving to all you guys though!!!!!!!!

Patt
Old 11-25-2002, 05:08 PM   #3  
mox

Default Yeah for a short week.

Hey everyone, sorry for not being around so much. It seems like a lot of people are busy as well, probably with work, Thanksgiving (in the U.S., at least), etc. I'm actually already preparing for Christmas -- because my family lives all over the place, I try to buy gifts early so that they get shipped in time. Makes for a crazy couple of weeks.

Mel: I'm happy to hear your good news. Phrew, right?

I'm doing really good on my workouts, but have also slipped nutritionally. I didn't realize how hard it would be to eat clean, given all of the parties, lunches, etc., that have already geared up. I'm still working on different strategies, though, and haven't given up the ship. I'm also re-committing to posting here more regularly. I found that really helped keep me focused.

BTW, I'm looking for new tricep exercises. Any suggestions?

Hope everyone is having a great Monday. It was bitter cold (for me at least) this morning. Thank goodness my car is garage-parked. I'm not sure I would make it to the gym in the a.m. if I had to scrap snow off of it first.

Ciao. Mox
Old 11-25-2002, 05:16 PM   #4  
mox

Default P.S.

I forgot to ask . . . I was shopping this weekend and picked up a book called Body Rx (it was only 90 cents!) I've only been able to flip through it, but it seems a lot like BFL -- 6 meals a day, weightlifting, etc. (I picked it up b/c (1) it was so cheap, and I can't resist bargain-priced books; and (2) it had some lifting exercises in it, and I'm always on the lookout for new ones.) Anyway, has anyone heard of this program? If so, what's your opinion about it? Thanks, Mox
Old 11-25-2002, 05:38 PM   #5  
mox

Default P.P.S.

Sorry for being so spacey today (and not getting everything in one post). I'm not sure what my problem is . . . Anyway, I just wanted to add that I'm visiting some family this weekend, and they just bought a Bow-Flex! I'm really excited to try it out. Has anyone ever used one? How does it compare to gym machines? I'm also thrilled because I know I'll be able to stay on-plan exercise wise. Yeah! Mox
Old 11-25-2002, 05:53 PM   #6  
Uber-Moderator!!

Mox - actually L&S has a Body RX board - you might want to peek over there. I think Erik (QZ) is doing BRX right now. I really don't know a whole lot about it even though I did buy the book (like you, it was cheap!).

My boss just told me this morning that she wants to take the department (those few of us who didn't take the week off that is!) to lunch on Wednesday - aack. Fortunately for me, Viognier Restaurant is renowned for their itty-bitty portions of California Cuisine
Old 11-25-2002, 06:04 PM   #7  
Mel

Default Hi there

Been very busy last week, and this week will be the same unfortulately. I'll try to get on here a little more this week. I went to a body building comp Saturday nite to see Tom W. and BFL_Sue from the L&S board compete. It was quite an experience, and I gotta say, even if I ever can achieve the body, I don't think I'd ever have the nerve or the stage presence to do that! Those posing suits are TINY!

Thank you all for your kinds words about my cancer scare- it was very tough to go through, but I never missed a workout (the gym kept me sane) and after 1 week of panic eating, I realized no matter what was happening, eating caramel corn and ice cream was not going to do anything positive for me. So I'm back on track, managed to undo the damage. After seeing the BB show, I'm really motivated to keep it clean.

Karen- Sounds like you made out like a bandit on riding clothes. That stuff is so expensive! When my dd was riding, I dreaded the clothing bills almost as much as the lesson bills.

Patt0- Sorry to hear dh spent his birthday in the ER! I had that happen many years ago (the glass shattering in my hand) and still have scars from it. Hope it doesn't affect him too much. Tell him to heal up then hit the weights- don't want to pull stitches!

mox- BodyRX does have a lot of similarities. I have the book too, and incorporate some of the eating principles, but hated the lifting scheme. The one super advantage is NO CARDIO! I have a friend who posts on L&S as LLS who is now in cycle 4 (each cycle is 6 weeks) and has done fabulously. I was with her Saurday nite at the BB show, and she loves the program and looks fantastic. You can see her transformation pics in the L&S gallery. There is also a BodyRx focus board there. LLS (Laura) is one of the online coaches and I'm sure would answer any questions you have.

I had an incredible ab, quad and calf workout today with Robert, and I'm already sore. My quads are actually stinging. He showed me all sorts of new ways to isolate muscle groups- mostly painful! So they gotta work, right? I was supposeed to do chest and quads, but he told me that was an idiotic combination, need to keep all the blood either up or down. It was the last split Pam gave me, and while I don't want to knock her knowledge, he has a LOT more years of doing this and a LOT more hardware at the pro level than she does. So I'm slightly rearranging my split.

Ok gotta go start dinner for the rest of my crew- already had my chicken and brocolli.

mel

Last edited by meliris; 11-25-2002 at 06:07 PM.
Old 11-25-2002, 06:39 PM   #8  
Uber-Moderator!!

But Mel...

I was only going to buy a HELMET!!! I did get a gorgeous one though - black velvet - the real thing. (Of course I will probably end up having a bird crap on it within 10 minutes!)

I could have easily spent much, much more money but I restrained myself and now I'm regretting not buying a riding jacket - I'll be borrowing one for the Ranchotel show. Hey, like you said, it beats wearing those posing suits! They are itty bitty, ain't they??!?
Old 11-25-2002, 07:19 PM   #9  

Angry need help

Hey everyone,

I got my body fat percentage done by the same person at my gym....I am not sure what to say...but that they use some sort of machine that goes on my arm...i am on weeks 6 and a 11% drop in body fat percentage is alot????

I am looking for a protein snack to take on the go...i don't want peanuts or sunflower seeds...i like to have a piece of fruit for carb..but not sure what sort of protein to go with it. so anyone have soy nuts? i think that's what my friend at work called them???

please help...

one_sweetchick
Old 11-25-2002, 08:22 PM   #10  
JEC
Aussie and proud

Talking Oh Karen.....

You are a shopping freak gurlie!!
Glad I don't live in the US, Thanksgiving seems very decadent....

Mox: what triceps exercises are you doing at the moment?
I was interested in reading BodyRx as well but it is about $75 over here so I am waiting for the price to drop. I don't know how I would go giving up cardio though!

Mel: I would love to see some competitions but they are very scarce over here. I think that it would be very motivating to watch. As for the trainers advice - I don't know. I don't see how where your blood is helps? I guess using logic it transports all of the oxygen to the muscle groups you are working. There are many ways of attacking things though!

OSC: a machine on your arm - do you mean calipers or something else like taking your blood pressure sort of thing? Calipers pinch the fat on the skin to determine you fat % but if they are doing calipers then they should be taking AT LEAST a 3 point test. Triceps or biceps, and either stomach, back or hips. At least 3 different points - one isn't enough. Last time I had mine tested my tricep came in at 13% but I am certainly not 13% BF.

Ok if we do the figures when you started you were at
233.5 lbs @ 40.5% BF. Which makes you 139 lbs LBM & 94.5 lbs Fat. 5 weeks later you are;
214 lbs @ 29.5% BF. Which makes you 150.7 LBM & 63.3 llbs fat.

So in 5 weeks you lost (94.5-63.3) 31 odd lbs of fat and gained (139-150.7) 12 odd lbs of muscle.

Bear in mind the average person loses about 1.5-2.5 lbs of fat a week. This doesn't compute in my book. The muscle is VERY possible if you have never lifted before. How many sizes have you dropped and how tall are you? Let's try and work out what's going on with these figures because I am a little confused! and yes...... 11% at your weight is a HUGE loss.

JC
Old 11-25-2002, 08:26 PM   #11  
JEC
Aussie and proud

Angry PS

I normally take some CC to eat with my fruit or a serve of protein powder that I can quickly mix up. Or I carry Pamcakes which don't really need to be reheated. From what I know nuts are considered fats on BFL not a protein. What about some sliced up chicken breast?

JC
Old 11-25-2002, 08:53 PM   #12  
Chick

S/C/G: 257.5/239.75/155

Height: 5'7 1/2"

Default Hey girls,

What a treat to log on and find so many posts! Karen, a girl after my own heart - I LOVE to shop for bargains. Glad you found so many good things.

Mox, I'll see if I can remember this tricep exercise I used to love. You lay on the bench, hold a dumbell in your right hand and your head turned to the right. Arm is straight up in the air, lower db to your left ear and raise for as many sets as you decide. Then do the other side, the exercise targets the inner tricep. I always thought it was an exercise that FELT good.

Sat. was my best free day ever. I had some good treats but they were totally within reason. I also kayaked/paddled for about 5 hours so I think I burned up every extra calorie I took in. Two days later I was at the same weight as before free day.

Girls, I think the magic has finally begun. This was a low weight loss week, only 1/2 lb. (remember I have a substantial amt. to lose), but pants are noticably looser all of a sudden. I found myself checking myself out in the mirror a lot the last 2 or 3 days. I have a pair of jeans that are my goal to wear by the end of the 12 weeks and by doggies - I think I am going to make it. I just tried them on and the roll of fat at the top of the waistband is shrinking. I am very excited about the last 4 weeks - I am going to hit the diet and exercise hard.

I changed my workouts up starting today and am sore tonight. I think this set of exercises is a lot better than the last set that I did weeks 5-8. Anyhow, I will be taking a free day on Thurs. but keeping clean at all other times. I'll have a 9 day stretch before my next free day so that will be interesting.

Keep those posts coming - Mox I'm glad you have decided to post more. I have picked up some really good tips from you.

Patt, enjoy that chili. I made a second batch of eggplant stew for this week. That is good stuff on these raw nights and has lots of veggies in it.
Old 11-26-2002, 09:54 AM   #13  

Default foods

Hey everyone,

Ya..i don't really like nuts....but someone had suggested them. I am not sure I know what CC is...or what pamcakes are but they sound interesting...

as for my Body fat percentage. It is measured with this thin foam circle that is placed on my arm. the foam has a circle cut out..and that is where they place this little device that looks SORT of like the things used for ultrasounds..then person inputs my body type, height, weight, activity level etc. in the machine...and a few minutes later there is a print out.

one_sweetchick
Old 11-26-2002, 12:05 PM   #14  
Uber-Moderator!!

Good morning everyone!

Chick - if they're taking a measurement/reading from only one place - then IMO I doubt that it's very accurate - especially if they aren't backing it up with caliper measurements.

When I was going to a PT earlier this year, she used a body-fat gadget that took readings from about (if memory serves) 5 different places, using electrodes (kind of like an EKG reading) that were attached to different places. After taking the reading from the machine, THEN she would do a five-point caliper measurement as a back up.

BF measurement is FAR from an accurate science - which is why I don't even bother personally The ultimate in accuracy is the Pants-o-meter and progress photos IMO.

CC = Cottage Cheese. I'll post the Pamcakes recipe in the our recipes thread here in the Forum (it's been awhile since we've posted anything there!).

Ledom! You go girl!!! That's exactly what happened to me in my first challenge - nothing and then WHAM! The thing to do is have patience...it will come (as you've learned) as long as you keep the intensity up and the eating clean!

As far as meals (I don't use the word "snack" anymore - there are no snacks on BFL - only MEALS) for on the go, chicken breast is a good call (carry an apple along for a quick carb) along with Cottage Cheesecake (see recipe in Recipe thread). Some of the folks at L&S eat...beef jerky...can't stand the stuff myself. Lots of people think nuts are protein, when they are actually mostly FAT. Good fat, but still don't go around eating more than an ounce or two once or twice a week as one of your healthy fats.

I'm going to dash over to the Recipe thread and enter the Pamcake recipe for y'all!
Old 11-26-2002, 12:09 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 208/ticker/140

Height: Height: 5'4"

Default CC and Pamcakes

CC = cottage cheeze
Pamcakes = pancakes made with egg white, oatmeal and CC (only)

FF = fat free
LF = low fat

I'm sure there are others too.

That bodyfat measurement thing sounds like electrical impedence, but I though they would have to made two connections and then measured the current between them. Maybe the difference in your readings is related to hydration? I dunno.

Dh is doing much better, he worked out yesterday without using his hands too much, luckily it was leg day. I had a lousy workout, head ache and I was too hungry. Everytime I bent over for my dead lifts I though I was gonna puke. ARRRrrrgggg!

Goin' shoppin' for my chilli recipe today!!!! Hurray !!!!

Patt.
Closed Thread