Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 01-16-2011, 06:24 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 260/240/140

Height: 5'4"

Default Prozac, St Johns Wort, or Wellbutrin for weight loss?

I have been on Prozac for 2 years for low grade depression and anxiety. It was a miracle worker, and after about 3 weeks, I felt a lot better. Unfortunately, I think it makes it really hard to lose weight, but I don't want to quit it because it helps my depression and anxiety so much. I am thinking about transitioning to St Johns though, because I took it several years ago, and not only did my depression lift, but I lost 50 pounds pretty fast. I wonder if it would still help with my weight and depression today. Has anyone else lost weight on St Johns Wort? I've also heard that Wellbutrin kills your appetite. Has that worked for anyone? Any feedback would be appreciated!
otachick10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 06:24 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 302/ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

I have taken Wellbutrin for years - if it kills your appetite, I'd hate to see what I'd be like when I'm not on it!
fitkristi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 06:31 PM   #3  
Jeri

S/C/G: 286/142.6/150/new goal 140

Height: 5-4

Wellbutrin kills my appetite and brought my binging to a full stop. I've lost all my weight since I started taking it. It doesn't work that way for everyone, obviously, but it does for me. It might be worth trying. Paxil was very hard on me weightwise.
eclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 08:13 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 206/205.1/145

Height: 5'4

I've been on Wellbutrin for quite awhile now and while it may curb my appetite, I wouldn't say that it has helped me lose weight at all.

Of course, I'm not a doctor, but mine said it would help with regular dosage, proper nutrition, and an exercise routine. Wellbutrin may give you the "edge" to start doing these things - though motivation is completely up to you!
jcook1012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 12:41 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 172/ticker/115

Height: 5'5

I started Prozac at the same time I started dieting, and I've been steadily losing weight. If you don't mind me asking, what sort of diet are you doing? Maybe you can try and shake up your diet before changing your medication, especially if it's working for you.
Celandine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 12:46 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 193/181/169

Height: 5'4"

the first month on wellbutrin killed my appetite and i lost weight. fter that time it sort of leveled off. also in that 1st month it made me edgy and my anxiety a bit worse. i think it works a little bit different for everyone.
laughingcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 08:36 PM   #7  
Vegalitarian

Height: 5'8

I have also had success with St. John's Wort (though I can't speak for the weight issue. I didn't take it long enough and wasn't watching my weight.) It is my opinion that if it works for you with few side effects, then there's no need to take synthetic drugs. I also have mild to moderate depression, and am treating it with other supplements (though this certainly isn't for everyone.) Good luck!
Astrild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 08:04 PM   #8  
Are we there yet?

S/C/G: 295/ticker/160

Height: 5'7''

For people who have used St. John's Wort, were the side-effects (if any) manageable? And did you have to avoid certain foods while on it... I keep reading things that suggest not consuming coffee/cheese/wine/etc?
Patrizia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 09:47 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 233/226/

Height: 5'7.5"

I tried Wellbutrin for 1 month. It was like POISON in my body. I suffered horrendous hypertension, sweats and also had a lovely psychotic breakdown. I have never felt so horrible in my life. I had been on Paxil and the weight kept piling on. That's why my doctor put me on Wellbutrin. Long story short? I have been OFF of the Wellbutrin for 1 month now and am taking 900 mg of St. John's Wort. My appetite is GONE. I have to force myself to eat. Being 54 years young I DOUBT I will lose any weight despite being active, a strict vegetarian and in a healthy lifestyle. But who knows? Maybe I WILL, through NOT wanting to ever eat, lose weight, eh?
abjonsdottir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 11:31 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitkristi View Post
I have taken Wellbutrin for years - if it kills your appetite, I'd hate to see what I'd be like when I'm not on it!
AMEN to that! I am on wellbutrin too and fatter than ever. But not because of the meds! Do NOT stop taking your meds. You have to work around it. They correct an imbalance in your chemistry, so even if you were "normal" and not having to medicate, you'd still have issues, just like the rest of us here.

I was on prozac long ago and gaining weight, but then I was able to lose it if i counted calories. I don't think it is the medication itself making us fat, but actually the way it makes us feel. For me, my medication takes me out of the spiraling vortex of despair and hopelessness and into a world of, "Heck, who cares about the small stuff, let's live life and make it rock!" Which is good, but not when living life means me eating whatever, whenever and as much as I want.

Stay on the meds and stay with this group of amazing people who have so much caring and understanding. You can do this!!!!
JenniBean1022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 11:52 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

I gained 40 pounds, almost overnight, on Prozac. My best friend had a similar experience. I tried most of the meds on the market and I didn't tolerate any of them very well. You know those side effects that only happen to 1-2% of people? I almost always get those.

What eventually worked for me was a large daily dose of omega-3s (fish oil) and a low dose of rhodiola rosea (200mg daily.) I don't take the rhodiola anymore, but it worked wonders for me in the past. I still take the fish oil, just not in as high a dose. FYI-I had to limit my coffee consumption while taking the rhodiola rosea. Too much caffeine and I'd be jittery all day.

Another thing to look into, have you had your thyroid and/or vitamin D levels checked? If either are low, that could be causing or contributing to your depression.

Last edited by zenor77; 10-21-2011 at 11:53 PM.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 05:17 PM   #12  

Cool Feel better with the St. John's Wort

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenniBean1022 View Post
AMEN to that! I am on wellbutrin too and fatter than ever. But not because of the meds! Do NOT stop taking your meds. You have to work around it. They correct an imbalance in your chemistry, so even if you were "normal" and not having to medicate, you'd still have issues, just like the rest of us here.

I was on prozac long ago and gaining weight, but then I was able to lose it if i counted calories. I don't think it is the medication itself making us fat, but actually the way it makes us feel. For me, my medication takes me out of the spiraling vortex of despair and hopelessness and into a world of, "Heck, who cares about the small stuff, let's live life and make it rock!" Which is good, but not when living life means me eating whatever, whenever and as much as I want.

Stay on the meds and stay with this group of amazing people who have so much caring and understanding. You can do this!!!!

I'm sorry...I am now taking 900 mg. a day of St. John's Wort. I like the way it is really suppressing my appetite. Honestly, Wellbutrin made me want to KILL myself. I became paranoid and had horrendous delusions. I have several family members with schizophrenia so I am not surprised that this medicine did this to ME! I spoke with my doctor and was told to STOP taking this since it obviously did awful things to my mind. I plan on seeing an accupuncturist also and going ALL natural. So we will see what happens. I think the St. John's Wort will help me lose at least SOME weight and keep my sane. Thanks!
Old 10-23-2011, 01:07 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 203/155/130??

Height: 5'6"

St.John's Wort does work, especially if you get the good kind with standardized Hyperforin (Kira or Perika brands are the only brands that come to mind). It's the most popularly prescribed drug in Germany for depression.

A lot of basic articles say SJW increases Serotonin - but scientific studies suggest it increases Dopamine which in turn eventually brings up Serotonin. Increased Dopamine -- which has a lot to do with whether or not you feel "sated" after eating food -- could be responsible for any weight loss while taking SJW.
Kattt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 12:04 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 211/178/150 LW:161

Height: 5'6

I was on Prozac and like someone posted above, I gained 40lbs. almost immediately. I went to my Doctor, (in yoga pants, because that's all that would fit!) and told her that the weight gain was awful and certianly didn't help me feel better. When I first starting taking Prozac I really did feel wonderful, but the weight thing was a major downer for me. She told me the higher the dose the higher the effect of weight gain or loss. She also told me some people go either way, lose or gain. I just happened to be one that gained, lucky me!!! I'm on Lamictal now, it's more of a mood stabilizer and I've noticed losing weight is easy, on this med. Before I started dieting I lost about 10lbs without trying. Good luck, I hope you find what works for you, I've been through about a dozen different meds before I found one that worked for me.
vixxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 05:25 PM   #15  

Default Thank YOU!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kattt View Post
St.John's Wort does work, especially if you get the good kind with standardized Hyperforin (Kira or Perika brands are the only brands that come to mind). It's the most popularly prescribed drug in Germany for depression.

A lot of basic articles say SJW increases Serotonin - but scientific studies suggest it increases Dopamine which in turn eventually brings up Serotonin. Increased Dopamine -- which has a lot to do with whether or not you feel "sated" after eating food -- could be responsible for any weight loss while taking SJW.
Yes indeed, Katt...well said. St. John's needs to be the good and standardized form. I take my SJW in the morning. If I take it at night I get an almost hypomanic state and can't sleep. But it is great...it keeps my mood halfway decent, KILLS my appetite and also seems to do good things for my sinus...strange but true.