Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 01-16-2011, 10:35 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 320/ticker/125

Height: 5'1"

Talking Finally made the first step!!!

I am so excited for what 2011 may have in store for me.
So, I moved, but good things happened- I finally have a great PCP! She really listens to what I have to say, and really gives me the list of options for ME to choose. Before, my doctor just chose an option for me. She even talks to me about the latest research. I'm in love!
So, we talked a lot about my weight problem and my past efforts to lose weight. We both decided that gastric bypass would be a good tool for me to learn to change my lifestyle.

I'm getting the referral!

And I couldn't be happier about it! I finally feel as if I'm taking back control over my life. What is even better - I have talked and mentioned it for so long that my family finally accepts that this is what I'm going to do, and they're even being supportive.

I just had to share my happiness here. More info can also be found on my 3fc diet blog.

So, any advice that I might not find in any FAQs that I should know? Or anything I should prepare before my first appointment with the bariatric surgeon?
Amber1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 10:48 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 368/336/165

Height: 5'6"

Congrats. I am also in the first steps of having WLS. I just submitted my paperwork to the facility on Thursday so...Anyway, I guess one thing that would be good to do is research. I did a lot of research before I got my referral and I still look up everything.
iHeartU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 10:57 AM   #3  

I've done sooo much research. I must have spent weeks and weeks in total doing research in the past couple of years! I'm kind of a google wh*re, so I love researching a topic. Also, I've seen my MIL go through the process (but not the before surgery steps [she kept that pretty secret]) and even though it taught me a lot of what NOT to do - it was still a great learning experience!

I am nervous about that first appointment with the surgeon though because I really don't know what to expect!
Old 01-16-2011, 02:05 PM   #4  

When's your appointment? Let me know how it goes. I'm still waiting on the clinic to call me so I'm a little nervous too. I did a ton of research, too. (I'm addicted to google) The only problem is every place you go is going to have a different set up so I guess all I can do is ask tons of questions and make sure to have the surgeon explain things to me. Hopefully my surgeon isn't a douchebag...
Old 01-16-2011, 02:52 PM   #5  

I think we're pretty much at the same point. I'm waiting on pins and needles for the phone call!
Old 01-16-2011, 08:35 PM   #6  

I feel the same way. Everytime the phone rings I'm like, "Is that the bariatric clinic?" I'm supposed to get a call by Tuesday.