Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 01-15-2011, 05:42 PM   #1  
= ]

S/C/G: 350/280/150

Height: 5'4"

Default Binging Habits

I've been a binge eater for years, ever since I can remember. It's rather odd too, I NEVER binge during the day. In fact, I hardly even feel hungry during the day. Come around night though, I'm out of control >_>

I'm thinking that perhaps I should stop buying snack items or easy make things, as that makes binge eating all too accessible. Buying items that require preparation could possibly help stop it I suppose, as I'm not going to want to go through all of the trouble to prepare something at night. I'm starting to keep a giant bottle of water on my nightstand as that does help at times. If I HAVE to eat, then I'm trying to snack on unsalted nuts, mostly almonds and hazelnuts. I used to use sunflower seeds as a part of abstaining from binging, but then I figured out that all of that sodium is bad.

What are your binging habits and what sorts of things to you guys do to help curb the binge eating?

Last edited by Rhapsodysia; 01-15-2011 at 05:43 PM.
Rhapsodysia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 05:55 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 181/175/125

I try not to have things in the house that i can eat without preparing. It cuts down a lot on binging, and even though I can't always control what's in my house because I don't live alone-- it's not my food so I don't eat it.

I've found through trial and error what foods also trigger my binges, and also any other environmental factors that could affect my eating habits. I found that if i'm hungry, I binge (obviously) so I try and control my snacks and meal to provide me with the biggest fullness factor. Beans, lots of veggies, fruits, and high fiber foods in general are what I found works best for me.

I also found that nighttime boredness leads me to a lot of binging, so I spend a lot of time here browsing the site for motivations and ideas. Also tea has helped me tremendously with binges. Just that constant hand to mouth motion is soothing. If tea isn't your thing, just find something similar, like low cal stock, or low fat cocoa, or air popped popcorn-- there's a lot of options out there.

I hope that helps; I wish you the best of luck on your journey!
therex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 07:54 PM   #3  
Maintainer since 8/15/09

S/C/G: 173/118.6/110-115lbs.

Height: 5'3

I stopped buying my trigger foods, if there's nothing here to binge on, I can't binge! It works for me, when you can trust yourself to have it around again, then just buy one item at a time. Try eating breakfast & lunch too, you won't be so hungry at night. Good Luck!
fruitlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 08:27 AM   #4  

Height: 5ft3

I agree with Therex, it is about that feeling full factor - I now try and eat planned meals during the day so I am not starving at night. I think night bingeing is a common phenomenen. I saw a programme about 2 400 pound guys both of whom had reduced significantly - both starved themselves during the day and then went on an allout binge at night - crikey - I thought; I do that. Regular meals and monitoring what I eat go some way towards stopping it
Jalsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 08:41 AM   #5  
Diet and Exercise!

S/C/G: 185/165/135

Height: 5'3"

Eat more during the day. Especially protein! Have meals planned out, and plan to make meals you enjoy!

My binge habit: driving to the grocery store immediately after work, spending about $30-$50 on foods I never keep in the house (and can't afford), stuffing myself for 20 minutes then feeling stuffed and disgusting and throw away half the food I just bought. My triggers: not eating enough protein during the day, and not having a satisfying dinner planned.

Hope that helps! And good luck! This is a tough monster to beat.
fatmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 03:19 AM   #6  
= ]

S/C/G: 350/280/150

Height: 5'4"

Jalsa- I'm accustomed to not eating during the day then binging at night as well. Yikes indeed!

fatmac- I used to do that A LOT. I tend to work late, so I'd get off and go buy a ton of food, then just sit there and eat it >_>

And thanks for the luck wishes ^_^

This is night number two for no binging!
Rhapsodysia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 03:41 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 174/170/125

Height: 5'2"

What's helped me this last week to keep them away is to wait it out. Instead of saying, "No, no, no, I can never binge," it's a lot more realistic for me to say, "I'll do something else for right now and see how I feel in twenty minutes." Most of the time, the urge is gone by then. If it's not, I'll reconsider, and delay it longer. I'll give myself little tasks: "I'll reconsider after I finish this sudoku." "After I've cleaned the bathroom, maybe."

If the urge is too strong, I make some coffee, or I take out a bag of raw spinach and nibble on it. It doesn't kill the urge outright, but it gives my hands and mouth something to do, and it's not like raw spinach is going to make me fat. It's so weird, though--binging is sometimes like a nervous habit for me, like biting my nails or ripping at paper. I used to not even notice I was overeating so much until I'd already had two meals. It's taken a lot of effort and attention on my part to catch myself before I get to that point...
Eurydice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 06:01 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 254/245.5/141

Height: 5'3

Hiya Rhapsodysia -

I totally understand what you're going through. I was diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder a few years ago and found that, although I ate well and at good times during the day, I would go off the deep end at night and easily consume 2,000 - 5,000 calories in a binge. And it was ALWAYS (and still is) late at night.

I've found that I am usually not triggered to binge due to food cravings, but more out of emotion and habit. I always binge at night because I can cover feelings of anxiety and depression that I experience during the day. It also helps that people are in bed in my house usually, so I can sneak around without people seeing me stuff my face!

Recently I've really been trying to curb the binges. I've only bought foods that I rarely binge on - like oatmeal, fruit, etc. Everything else I leave out of my house. If they're in the house - like someone makes cupcakes or buys pizza, I leave the room where the food is. Out of sight - hopefully, out of mind!

The thing that helps me most (this may sound crazy) is actually talking out loud to myself. If I start to get that anxious building feeling that usually starts pre-binge, I try and begin by leaving whatever room I'm in and taking 10 minutes to calm myself down. If that doesn't work and I still find myself around food or mid-binge, I have to put the food down and tell myself "No. You don't want this. You want to be healthy and confident." This usually makes me stop. It makes me feel powerful. Or (I live in a sorority house) I go to my friends, admit my actions, and they help me stop. Last time, my friend literally took a bowl out of my hands, threw my food out, and gave me a huge hug. I haven't binged since.

Honestly, you may feel crazy, but try talking yourself out of it. You'd be surprised how much hearing your own voice, out loud, telling yourself to stop silences all the other thoughts driving the binge.

Hope this helps!!
clurrrburrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 09:25 AM   #9  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

For me, peanut butter is a culprit. I keep thinking I can win against it and buying it, but peanut butter and jelly sandwiches (or just peanut butter eaten with a knife out of the jar...) beat me every time.

There are numerous other foods that, if I kept here, would result in binges. I don't keep any junk food/readymade snacks around, period - even boxed cereal is iffy. If keeping the junk out entirely isn't an option (I realize not everyone lives alone), have it out of sight.

Brushing your teeth in the evening is a good option, and hot tea can work sometimes.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote