UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Old 01-14-2011, 09:52 PM   #1  

Unhappy Question about diet and giving up smoking

well I've lost 7&1/2 pounds since the 28th of december 2010 I'm very happy about it, but I slipped with giving up smoking. The Diet is going great, not as bad as I thought it was going to be(didn't like veg). But gave up the ciggies for 4 days and started again. Am I doing it wrong?? doing them at the same time?? I'm feeling such a failure not having the will power to give up
Cleo1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 10:05 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 243/190/150

Height: 5'4"

I don't think you're doing anything wrong. Either task alone would be difficult. Maybe you are asking too much of yourself. Have you considered doing one and then the other? I quit smoking first, a couple of years ago and gained a LOT of weight. Last year, I decided to lose the weight plus a few extra pounds I already had, and it's working pretty well. I don't think I could have done both things at the same time, and I had a relatively easy go of it with the quitting smoking.

You have to figure out what will work best for YOU. And then focus oj doing that as well as you can. And be forgiving if you slip sometimes. And don't give up no matter what!

Barb
angelskeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 09:56 AM   #3  
Just one bite at a time

S/C/G: 210/210/146

Height: 5'5"

I used to be a smoking cessation facilitator (bless the NHS for their job titles). One hint I would give is that whenever you want a cigarette eat something healthy like a yoghurt, apple or other food that you want to eat as part of your diet - sort of using the craving to increase your healthy eating!

Eating something means your body and brain get something that fills the feed me craving that wanting a cigarette mimics. This is why we tend to gain weight when quitting, the have a fag signal is identical to the eat something signal. Same chemicals, same part of the brain, same need/craving.

Fortunately the drink something signal is also the same. Some clients were very successful using a straw to drink from - they could twiddle the straw and drink through it too so both the do something with your hands and feed me habits were solved.

I could go on and on, sorry. But I would be very happy to help if you feel the need. Otherwise just ignore me
stef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 10:56 AM   #4  

Personally, I would find it to be too much change to focus on weight loss and smoking cessation at the same time. I focused on one and made sure I had tackled it before moving on to the other.
Hyacinth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 01:21 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 224/146/147

Height: 5"2

yea i couldnt do the two at once so i gave up the smoking first then i done the diet xxx
ems81wales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 04:10 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 154/see ticker/114

Height: 5'5

You might find that smoking while dieting, for the first few months, might actually help, because it IS a stress relief.

Quitting smoking at the same time as starting a diet might be too much, so I would personally wait until I was in the swing of things diet-wise before quitting the ciggies.

Also, as you lose weight you will generally feel healthier all round, which might make quitting smoking slightly easier.
Flamethrower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 08:53 PM   #7  

thank you everyone xx

[
Cleo1975 is offline   Reply With Quote