Old 01-12-2011, 09:47 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 290/seeticker/200

Height: 5'7"

Default how in the world did i gain 3 lbs in 2 days!!!!

Ok i am very confused....i weighed myself this morning just out of curiosity and i gained 3 pounds!!!!! I have stayed under my calories. The only thing Im doing different is not drinking as much water as i did last week. Need some advice please!!!
Abruener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 09:50 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

Your weight can fluctuate wildly over the course of a day or a few days. Weigh at the same time every day, and write down your weight. You will start to see patterns and realize that the 2 pounds you are up one day are gone the next. You should also see a gradual downward trend.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 09:59 AM   #3  
I am in control.

Height: 5'9

I read on another post somewhere that if you don't drink enough water, your body will actually hold onto water...I can't remember why...but you mentioned you didn't drink as much water this week as you did last week, and that just popped into my head.
Emme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 10:11 AM   #4  
Calorie Counter

S/C/G: 250 (Sept 2009)/177/150

Height: 5' 9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emme View Post
I read on another post somewhere that if you don't drink enough water, your body will actually hold onto water...I can't remember why...but you mentioned you didn't drink as much water this week as you did last week, and that just popped into my head.
Because it's afraid it won't get more. The less water we drink, the more the body holds on to every drop it gets. There's a couple stickied posts that talk about jumps in weight.

Fact is you didn't eat an addition 3500 calories a day for three days so there's no way you actually gained 3 pounds. I was 177 yesterday, I'm 179 today. No big deal, I drank a ton of water yesterday and haven't peed much because I'm sitting around due to the storm. We ebb and flow and we will gain a pound or two or lose a pound or two in a days time. I went to bed at 183 and woke up at 179. It's all about the water.
Jesse Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 10:43 AM   #5  
Le geek, c'est chic

S/C/G: 232/see ticker/150ish

Height: 5'2" and change

If you've been sticking to your chosen plan, it's incredibly unlikely that you've managed to gain any fat.

What you're seeing is water weight, and it could be the result of a lot of things:

- weight lifting/other strenuous exercise
- not drinking enough water
- waste (I peed a pound away this morning! TMI, maybe, but I was happy. )
- "That Time"
- extra sodium over the past day or two

Plus another half-dozen or so that I'm just not thinking of at the moment. But if you're staying on course with a plan that has worked for you previously, you're doing your part; your body has no choice but to cooperate and shed its excess weight. It's disconcerting and even discouraging sometimes, but you get used to these fluctuations.

Do you weigh daily? Sometimes that helps with getting used to the little pound-here, pound-there flutters on the scale.
Nola Celeste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 05:27 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 290/seeticker/200

Height: 5'7"

Thanks everyone!! I was thinking it was water so its nice to know everyone thinks it is also.
Abruener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 03:32 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 208/ticker/143 - HW: 240

Height: 5'8''

Ditto what everybody else has said. My weight jumped from 169.0 over the weekend well up into the 170s and it's been there all week; I was 173.8 a couple of days ago! I have no idea why, but I know I didn't eat enough/not exercise enough to do it, so I'm not going to freak about it. You just have to accept these little fluctuations, they happen.
Laureedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 12:34 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 295/tkr/195

Height: 5'9"

Agree with everything said above and an added note to say the same thing happened to me at the beginning of this week! Only I could trace mine to way too much sodium heavy foods over the weekend... Those extra 3 lb are gone now, plus 1 more! yay! And input on the weighins: I have an official weekly weighin that I track, but I do step on the scale everyday just to see where I'm at. It is helpful to see the trends if you can wrap your mind around it and not get flustered by the flexibilty of the number!

Last edited by Jen516; 01-15-2011 at 12:35 AM.
Jen516 is offline   Reply With Quote