Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-10-2011, 04:35 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 333/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'3"

Default Wii Fit Plus?

I'm toying with a couple of ideas. The first being getting a gym membership again which is troublesome for a couple of reasons. First, the on-going exepense and second, the whole having to go out to the gym thing. I admit I'm a big whiny baby and I loathe having to go out in sub zero temps to work out.

However. Hubs and I live in a TINY apartment. Seriously. It's tiny. I simply don't have the space for a treadmill, elliptical or any other exercise equipment. So I was thinking about the Wii fit plus today and wondering if that would be a viable "in home" exercise alternative.

I don't know anyone who has a Wii fit so I don't know if it's a really good work out or if it's a waste of money. If it works and it's useful then it will end up being cheaper than the gym in the long run and, since I don't have to brave the elements to utilize it, my excuses, hopefully, would be limited for not working out.

Hmmm...any thoughts?
Sunshine73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 05:02 PM   #2  

Yes! Wii Fit Plus all the way!! Read my blog entry from a few days ago called "Forget a gym membership and invest in Wii Fit". I got Wii and Wii Fit Plus for Christmas (only got Wii Fit Plus for the fun games not thinking it would get anyone fit). You dont even know you're working out or getting fit. Trust me you will feel muscles you didnt even know you had. It also does all kinds of cool features I never knew about. It counts how many calories you have burned, charts your weight and BMI for you (as well as other things), and more. I base my weight loss on diet alone rather than working out and since October have lost 59 pounds (.2 away from 60) this way, but I've just started Wii Fit for a little extra push. So please read my blog entry. There are actually 2 about Wii Fit. One being I ran 2.349 miles yesterday, and biked 1.8 miles.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/diet-blogs/gypsyqueen/
GypsyQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 05:15 PM   #3  

Thanks! I did hop over and read your blog and what you're saying makes perfect sense to me. I am not a huge exercise junkie but I like to do active things, especially in the summer - like camping, hiking, bike riding, etc. and I know that I've been so sedentary over the last year or so that getting up and doing those things again will not be possible or pretty unless I start to get myself into shape before hand.

I'm not looking for a work out to kick my hiney but rather something that will help me slowly build myself up and raise my endurance, etc. Based on what you've said it seems like this might just be the ticket. Going to have to have a chat w/ hubs tonight.
Old 01-10-2011, 05:38 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 214/210/150

Height: 5'6"

I think that the wii fit is great, and that it will do what you want. In addition, there are a lot of other exercise games for the wii, so if you wanted to branch out you could check out some of them- EA sports active and gold's gym are two examples.
Lily In Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 09:19 PM   #5  

Ended up going with the EA Sports Active 2 because it was a bit cheaper and this will give us an opportunity to see if we really will use the in home Wii exercise option. I just finished my first workout and I was literally yelling at the trainer. It kicked my hiney and I did the beginner easy workout. Doh! This will be good if I can keep it up!
Old 01-11-2011, 09:59 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 222/ticker/130

Height: 5'1"

I too got a Wii for Christmas. I like the Biggest Loser Challenge game. It has the standard circuit workouts as well as fun challenges. But for a boredome breaker I bought the Zumba. No you have to know that I am a spaz and feel very uncoordinated when I start a new program. I took all my expectations of being perfect and getting every move exactly the way it should be and just had fun. It tracked my progress and IT WAS FUN! I was still sweating 20 minutes after I finished. So now I do my 30 minute BLC workout and 20 minutes of Zumba. Great combination!
Bamagurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 10:51 AM   #7  
Sexy Writer Chick

S/C/G: 235/235/125

I just bought my Wii fit last week but haven’t set it up yet. This is my first gaming system ever! I never even had an Atari as a kid!

My husband has a Playstation, but I only tried it a few times and got frustrated with the controllers. I hope the Wii is easy to use.

I do have a gym membership, but I can count on one hand the number of times I have been there in the last 3 months. Sad really. Yes, I am uncomfortable going, even though there is a women’s only section, but for me it is time. I can’t bear to get up at 5:30 to go to the gym. I am a morning person, but I still consider that the middle of the night.

After work, I am tired and just want to get home, which is a 40 minute drive. The late afternoon is usually my worst time, I am exhausted, cranky and not thinking straight. Not ideal circumstances for exercising.

So I bought a Wii for myself for Christmas. I have to still buy the Wii fit, and I only have a few games, but everyone seems to think Zumba is fun.

I really think I will be able to reach my goals this time. I have decided to start a support group at work, 5 ladies who are on WW. I am the biggest, no surprise there, but at least I am starting. I had a slip for about a month over the holidays, but any of that weight gain is gone and I am losing again.

Here’s to great beginnings.
ladyfyre is offline   Reply With Quote