Old 01-10-2011, 02:27 PM   #1  

Smile Net Carbs

I will be starting Atkins very soon, and I wanted to know how you can calculate net carbs. Thank you!
CassieV15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 02:33 PM   #2  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

It's very easy, you subtract the fiber carbs.

Fiber is undigestible by humans (we can't get any calories from fiber).

That's usually it, unless the food contains sugar alcohols (non-sugar sweeteners that end in -ol, like xylitol, malitol...)

The problem with sugar alcohols is that there's disagreement over how much is digested. It may be a case that some people can digest them and some cannot - or that some of the sugar alcohols are digested more than others.

Many people compromise and count half of the sugar alcohols.

Personally I avoid the sugar alcohols, because they tend to have a laxative effect.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 02:37 PM   #3  

Thank you so much! I heard some stuff about the sugar alcohols, but I was confused if they had anything to do with the net carbs. Thanks for clearing that up!
CassieV15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 10:18 AM   #4  
IP start June 11, 2014

I just restarted Atkins recently as well and I am really trying to do it the right way and not buy a bunch of low-carb processed junk to try to cheat my way around changing my eating habits...
I found this recent post of JerseyGirl very usefull

"Despite what the label says, Atkins bars should be avoided especially on Induction. They contain ingredients such as soy, milk & peanuts, none of which are on the acceptable foods list. This will give you a better understanding: http://www.phlaunt.com/lowcarb/19059967.php

Aspartame is another no-no on Atkins. Most store bought sugar-free jello contains aspartame. You can however, make your own using Splenda (Atkins approved)."

I couldn't believe this article...I was amazed and realized that a lot of my problem is that I always try to cheat my way out of following a plan...low cal/carb/fat whatever processed junk instead of just eating real food. I need to just eat real food.

Last edited by kelligirl; 01-13-2011 at 10:20 AM. Reason: messed up
kelligirl is offline   Reply With Quote