Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss Including discussions about excess skin and reconstructive surgery

Old 01-05-2011, 07:58 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 380/see ticker/194

Height: 6'2"

Default Lots of questions regarding tummy tuck and breast lift, thanks!

I have never really thought seriously about getting surgery after my weight-loss for sagging skin until now. I hate what I see when I look in the mirror. Don't get me wrong, the skin is much better than the fat that used to be in it. And, I am actually impressed by how much it has shrunk up already. I was wondering how long I should give my body to completely adjust and firm up after I am done losing weight before I decide whether or not to have surgery.

Also, have any of y'all had a tummy tuck or breast lift? I have heard that the tuck can be pretty crazy recuperation wise, but that so many people are SO glad they had it. Also, I am planning on getting pregnant in a few years. Is that something I shouldn't even think about doing until after I give birth? It seems like it could be very counter productive to get it done, have a baby and be left with sagging skin again. Also, with a breast lift, are the scars really bad on most lifts? I had huge 40 DDD breasts that have now shrunk and deflated a ton. I am not sure what size they are now but they have definitely lost all of their pep now . I looked through a few galleries and wasn't too happy about how the surgery can leave your nipples looking really weird and can leave huge scars.

I would greatly appreciate any input from people who have had these kinds of surgeries. What are the pros, what are the cons. Can a tummy tuck really take a few sizes off of you? What are the realistic costs involved with this? Also, would you do it again if you had the choice? And, is this something I should wait to pursue until after I give birth in a few years?
Thanks!
southernbelle102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 08:27 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 185/ maintaining 130-135

Height: 5'4"

I would definitely wait until after having kids to consider surgery. I know two women, one who had a tummy tuck and breast lift the other breast implants and a tummy tuck. They both had another kid after getting it done and basically everything was ruined. Unless you have tons of money to get it done more than once, I would wait.
tattoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 01:29 AM   #3  
not bad for a 47 yr Nana!

I would say wait to have the plastics done until after you have all your kids. I had the tummy tuck done and I would NOT want to have to do THAT twice! The recovery is extensive...ok....it HURT LIKE CRAZY!! And though I won't do any more plastics of any kind, I am glad I had it done.

View my before and after pics on my profile by clicking on my pic there on the left. Its before GBP, after weightloss, 6 weeks after plastics and then 6 months after.

Now you have to understand, all my scars are numb...therefore I will not touch my breasts. The scarring IS extensive and I have a friend that had a lift done without an implant in her 20's and now that she's in her late 30's her breast are sagging around the scar tissue and it looks strange...she is considering having them done again...and it HURTS! Some people don't feel they can be finished with their weightloss surgery until they have the skin removed, I get that. But its not all fun and games and its not something you just have done without having to have it revised when you get older.

Just saying.

Angela
missangelaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 03:02 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 380/see ticker/194

Height: 6'2"

Thanks for the input! If I do decide to have it done, I will definitely be waiting until after children. I was worried about how lasting the effects are. Your friend's breast lift doesn't sound like something I would like to have had done at all. I hope that she is able to have it corrected well if thats what she wants. I am actually a little more interested in the tummy tuck anyway. By the way, yours looks amazing! If you don't mind me asking, what was the approximate cost of your surgery and where did you have it done? I am 28 and just hate the fact that I have this problem already... before even having kids. I know that I really don't have the worst looking body at all and I know I view it much more critically than others would but it still bothers me. I am hoping that it will firm up a lot more and i won't even think this is an option for me in the future. If not, I know where to come for more support in this matter
southernbelle102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 07:28 AM   #5  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I am 28 as well, and, like you, we still plan on having kids in the next couple years (will start trying for #1 later this year). I have it all - giant upper arm flaps, wrinkly inner thighs, a pannus that hangs low enough that you can look at me naked and not see my girly parts, droopy lumps on the sides of my back...but I won't have ANYTHING done until after I'm done having kids (and even then, who knows).

If I do anything at all, it will be a lower body lift, not just a tummy tuck. My boobs are small and pathetic (was only a B cup before surgery, so now just have deflated B cups), but throw on a good bra, and the only ones who will ever know are me and my husband!
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 11:46 AM   #6  
not bad for a 47 yr Nana!

Thanks, though I glad I had it done, I always say I would have GBP a 100 times but I will never do any more plastics! I tell people I had my front removed...It was horridly painful!

It cost me $5000+ including travel and lodging expenses. I live in Boise, ID and I had it done was the plastic surgery department at the University of Utah residency clinic in Salt lake City. The young man that did my surgery did a fabulous job! He was 6 months from graduating the program and is now a praticing Plastic surgeon in Tx.

Last edited by missangelaks; 01-06-2011 at 11:47 AM.
missangelaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 11:41 AM   #7  

This thread is really interesting. I actually was looking for a thread on tummy tucks / breast lift and found it in this forum.
First, definately wait until after kids!! Pregnancy does strech everything out. I have 2 kids, and if my husband and I decide we are done, then I will be getting a tummy tuck and breast implants. Before I had kids I had barely B cup, but they were rather perky. Now after 2 preganacies (they were a D while preg) and BF my 2nd son, AND being the processes of losing my pregnancy weight, they are like saggy utters. And my tummy also hangs down like an very unflattering apron.

The plastic surgeon I consulted with said to wait until I was done having kids before having any surgery. Unless I felt like doing it again after having another baby.
GlamourGirl827 is offline   Reply With Quote