Old 01-05-2011, 09:18 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Default Is it OK to roast cauliflower/broccoli during induction?

I ask because roasting vegetables brings out sweetness and I'm wondering if that affects the carb count....?

Roasted cauliflower with Parmesan cheese is so scrumptious - I hope it's allowed during induction phase 1!

Thank you!
joyyoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 02:11 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 295/295/175

Height: 5'6'

I'm sure its fine. Those veggies are acceptable so as long as you aren't adding anything to them, to change the carb count, it should be fine.
luckie13luv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 02:31 PM   #3  

Sounds fabulous! There are no restrictions on the cooking method. go for it!
martinimouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 10:40 PM   #4  

Wonderful! Thank you so very much for the replies!
Old 01-09-2011, 02:16 PM   #5  
Native Texan

S/C/G: 270/231.5/140

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyyoj View Post
I ask because roasting vegetables brings out sweetness and I'm wondering if that affects the carb count....?

Roasted cauliflower with Parmesan cheese is so scrumptious - I hope it's allowed during induction phase 1!

Thank you!
I eat cauliflower and brocolli often. I have never roasted them (but I AM going to try that lol). I make the cauliflower soup OFTEN - and truly it does taste like creamy potato soup, I also use leeks in mine. I also make the fake mashed potatoes which are awesome too. I eat brocolli in salads or steamed with butter and cheese, so you're probaly ok with it.
islandchick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 04:12 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandchick1 View Post
I eat cauliflower and brocolli often. I have never roasted them (but I AM going to try that lol). I make the cauliflower soup OFTEN - and truly it does taste like creamy potato soup, I also use leeks in mine. I also make the fake mashed potatoes which are awesome too. I eat brocolli in salads or steamed with butter and cheese, so you're probaly ok with it.
Thanks, islandchick! I'll have to try the cauliflower soup - sounds good! I too like broccoli steamed with butter.

I'm glad the roasted veggies are OK. In fact, I'm about to prepare some roasted brussels sprouts!
Old 01-10-2011, 04:11 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 217.5/201/160

Height: 5'4"

Islandchick, would you mind posting the recipe for the soup? It sounds yummy and I am willing to try it for variety! Thanks!
amberbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 09:48 PM   #8  
Native Texan

S/C/G: 270/231.5/140

Height: 5'2"

Absolutely!
There are a few versions floating around here (All are basically the same though). Here's mine:

2 celery stalks...diced
1/2 c. butter
1 clove of garlic...minced
3 leeks diced I use the white tops and about a third of the green bottoms.....minced. You can also use green onions instead of the leeks. If I do that I use almost all of the green part as well.
1 head of cauliflower (stalk and leaves removed). I cut it into 4 quarters to help it cook faster.
2 1/2 TBPS of olive oil.
1 package Lipton Onion Soup mix
2 cups heavy whipping cream
2 to 3 cups of water.
1 8oz bag of the cheese of your choice. I use the finely shredded 4 blend mexican cheese kind.
1 can of chicken broth.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I put the cauliflower on to boil for about 20 minutes, leave it in the 4 quarters (you won't have so many pieces to fish out).
While that's boiling, I sautee the leeks (or onions), garlic and celery in the olive oil...takes about 10 minutes or so.
I drain the cauliflower but save about 2 cups of the water I boiled it in. I put the cauliflower and the water I boiled it in into my blender and mix it up real well. The consistency should be like a watered down mash potatoes. I pour that mixture into the pan I boiled the cauliflower in. I add the sauteed veggies, the Lipton onion soup mix, the butter,the chicken broth, the extra water, the heavy whipping cream and stir. When it is nice and hot and mixed well, I add the whole 8 oz.bag of cheese. Since this is feeding serveral people, I don't worry about using all 8 ozs. of the cheese. I stir in the cheese until it's melted all the way. I use salt and pepper to taste and add some additional garlic and onion POWDER to taste. You just won't believe how awesome this tastes on a cold winter day

Last edited by islandchick1; 01-11-2011 at 09:11 PM.
islandchick1 is offline   Reply With Quote