Old 01-04-2011, 04:11 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 246/233/175

Height: 5'8"

Default Finally got Atkins book and ready to get started!! One question though...

I finally got my "New Diet Revolution" book yesterday (never ordering from Amazon again, sooo slow)... I read up until chapter 8 and am going grocery shopping today. I am so excited and can't wait to start induction.

There is one issue that has me worried about the Atkins plan. I am a vegetable lover and on my C.C. plan I was eating up to 6 cups of vegetables a day. However, on the induction foods list, there is only TWO vegetables listed as "salad vegetables" that I even like, lettuce and romaine. (on page 72) There are however many that I love on the "Vegetables in addition to salad vegetables" list. (page 73)

Are there any other vegetables that can be eaten on induction that are not on that list?? I mean, half of those things I have never even seen in a grocery store. We don't have whole foods and those kind of places around here.

If I have to eat just 2 cups of lettuce a day and 2/3 a cup of another (<10% carb per day) vegetable, I will do that.. I can handle anything for 2 weeks. But any input or ideas are more than welcome..

Thanks!

Last edited by jefferzzzz; 01-04-2011 at 04:15 PM.
jefferzzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 04:57 PM   #2  

Height: 5'7"

I have a lot of trouble restricting my vegetable intake, too. I have not eaten so few vegetables each day since I was a kid!! And eating this way I come in WAY under 20g carbohydrates each day...... which makes me always want to wonder...... can't I have just one little cup more veg each day? Pretty please?

However, I decided that for the first two weeks I am going to stick to it as it is written. It's only 2 weeks. If I remember rightly, the first step of moving into OWL is adding in another cup of vegetables. So this period can be short-lived.

Maybe you can use these two weeks to see if you can find a recipe in which you do learn to like some of the veg we are allowed? Play around a little? I've found delicious ways to cook zucchini, brussels sprouts, eggplant, kale, collards, chard.......
abluvion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 05:16 PM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by abluvion View Post
I have a lot of trouble restricting my vegetable intake, too. I have not eaten so few vegetables each day since I was a kid!! And eating this way I come in WAY under 20g carbohydrates each day...... which makes me always want to wonder...... can't I have just one little cup more veg each day? Pretty please?

However, I decided that for the first two weeks I am going to stick to it as it is written. It's only 2 weeks. If I remember rightly, the first step of moving into OWL is adding in another cup of vegetables. So this period can be short-lived.

Maybe you can use these two weeks to see if you can find a recipe in which you do learn to like some of the veg we are allowed? Play around a little? I've found delicious ways to cook zucchini, brussels sprouts, eggplant, kale, collards, chard.......
Thank you for the post abluvion... I love zucchini, eggplant and collards and know many ways to prepare them... I was just saying (if I am reading correctly) that in induction you are only allowed to eat 2/3 of a cup of them daily, along with the 2 cups of salad vegetables. The only foods I like in the salad vegetable list was lettuce and romaine. All of those veggies that you previously listed are on the Vegetables in addition to salad vegetables list, i.e. less than 10% carbs, which as I mentioned are limited to 2/3 a cup daily.

That is what I am understanding anyway from Chapter 8, I could be wrong though. Is this right?? I am getting kinda confused here LOL.

Thanks!

Edited to add: I just noticed from a link that JerseyGrl posted (http://www.veronicaatkinsfoundation....0Lifestyle.htm), that they say two different things. For instance, it says in my book that cabbage and tomato are the vegetables in addition to salad vegetables. On that site, it says that they are salad vegetables. Which would mean a difference of eating two cups of them (according to Veronica site) or only 2/3 cup (according to Atkins book). The Veronica site also states you can have 2 cups of salad vegetables and a cup of vegetables in addition to the salad vegetables. I'm not trying to be analytical or anything, I just want to do this the right way. I am hoping JerseyGrl can straighten this out for me LOL. I am confused!!!

Last edited by jefferzzzz; 01-04-2011 at 05:29 PM.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:25 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 295/295/175

Height: 5'6'

I think as long as you stay under the 20 cabs a day, you would be fine to eat different veggies than what it strictly says. You shouldn't be discouraged by the cups they say. If you like other veggies, than eat the ones you like. The importance of Atkins is the low carb, so as long as you watch that, you should be able to eat what you like. You've got to make the diet suit you! Good luck!
luckie13luv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 05:55 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckie13luv View Post
I think as long as you stay under the 20 cabs a day, you would be fine to eat different veggies than what it strictly says. You shouldn't be discouraged by the cups they say. If you like other veggies, than eat the ones you like. The importance of Atkins is the low carb, so as long as you watch that, you should be able to eat what you like. You've got to make the diet suit you! Good luck!
That's a great point of view... Thank You!
Old 01-04-2011, 06:05 PM   #6  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Atkins Induction is 20 net carbs per day (total carbs minus dietary fiber) with 12-15 of those carbs coming from veggies & salads on the acceptable foods list only.
I've always been a firm believer that the quantity (should you eat more than the suggested amount) of veggies & salad is not as important as eating only the veggies on that list.

I hope this helps.

All the best to you!!

Last edited by JerseyGyrl; 01-04-2011 at 06:51 PM.
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 06:29 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGyrl View Post
Atkins Induction is 20 net carbs per day (total carbs minus dietary fiber) with 12-15 of those carbs coming from veggies & salads on the acceptable foods list only.
I've always been a firm believer that the quanity (should you eat more than the suggested amount) of veggies & salad is not as important eating only the veggies on that list.

I hope this helps.

All the best to you!!
Awesome, thank you SO much for your help!!