Old 01-03-2011, 04:26 PM   #1  
Mom to 2 beautiful boys!

S/C/G: 331/ticker/150

Height: 5'6"

Default Joined and had my first meeting! Couple questions.

Hi there! I am Melissa. Mom of 2 boys (2 and 5) and am getting back to the diet.

I joined and had my meeting today. I am allowed 50 pts+ plus the extra 49 pts+. My question is: How will I be able to eat the 50 points! It seems like so much. I know you have to eat to loose, but I am afraid I won't be able to loose with that high of a limit.

I am a picky eater (love fruit/berries-hate veggies with a few exceptions). I just am afraid I will be burned out in 2 months. Suggestions to keep it fresh?

I am planning on doing Zumba tonight, and start doing some strength training and cardio. Which of course earns me more points. Bringing me back to the first issue above.

My first goal is 5#, then 5% and 10%. With a short term (6 mo) goal of 60#. Anyway, I am looking forward to doing this journey with you all!
osu2k1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 04:42 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 178/see ticker/113

Height: 5'3

Hello and Welcome Melissa!!!

First things first, if you earn activity pts you don't have to eat them so earn them and just bank them, they'll make you feel good knowing they are there as for having so many daily pts I would suggest eating the real stuff (like skipping fat free or low fat items) and just enjoying your food. My dh gets 57 pts a day and he has not hit it once but he gets as close as he can each day and doesn't force himself to eat past the feeling of full. He does use his weekly 49 pts though on a weekend dinner or snacking etc.. so just pace yourself and eat until you are satisfied each day, if that puts you under your daily pts don't sweat it, just get as close as possible, some days you will get alot closer than others.
spryng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 07:12 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

50 points is only about 2000 calories, so it's really not much.

First, start with the good health guidelines : oils and dairy (drink 2% or whole to increase points, decrease fat content as you lose weight.)

Also, build your meals out of lean protein (bigger servings for more points, again, decreasing as you lose points), grains (again, adjust serving sizes for a few more points), and then veggies.

Add things with points to your fruits and veggies - almond butter with carrots, blue cheese with your pears.

Don't "hoard" points like people used to on the old plan. Figure out how many you can have at each meal and snack and eat those.

Add avocado to meals, nut butters, etc.

Don't be tempted to skimp so you can lose faster. Your body needs fuel, and there are plenty of healthy higher point foods to fuel it with.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 07:20 PM   #4  
just do it!

S/C/G: 269/150/150

Height: 5'4"

You've gotten some wonderful advice already! Just remember, you don't need to eat the weekly points and you don't need to eat the activity points.

My DH gets 50-some points per day too. He uses full-fat cheese on his sandwiches and has nuts and nut butters incorporated into his snacks. He will just plain eat bigger servings of recipes that I prepare than I do. So if I'm eating 1 cup of stew for 5 points say, he'll have 1.5 cups for 8 points.

What has worked for me is planning out my day in advance. So if I know that supper is a lower point food, I might reach for the yogurt with more fat instead of the fat free for breakfast. Take a look at your daily points and budget them out throughout the day to make sure that you're getting close to your daily points. While you don't always have to eat every single one, you should be coming close to your target. This budgeting will help.

Keep track of your hunger and how you're using your points very closely at first. You can always start tweaking how you're eating as you progress.

Good luck and welcome aboard!
peanutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 07:31 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 178.8/ 171.2/145

Height: 5'10'

I just joined Ww yesterday and had lots of the same questions. I bought the cookbook to try and keep it fresh but I understand hitting the point total be daunting. My husband has 52 daily points and I think that has the possibility of be a lot of food.

Good luck in your journey.

Chrissy
Chrissyh06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 07:50 PM   #6  
Strong is the new thin!

S/C/G: 178/152/close enough

Height: 5'9 1/2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutt View Post
What has worked for me is planning out my day in advance.
Good luck and welcome aboard!
Me too! Planning is key. There will be some trial and error as you figure it out.

Have you tried roasting vegetables in the oven with olive oil and salt and pepper? It brings out the natural sweetness, and can be done with green beans, brussel sprouts, sugar peas, asparagus, cauliflower, broccoli, sweet potato, squash, the list goes on and on.

All the advice given here is great, add natural fats to your foods: avocado, olive oil, almonds, walnuts, brazil nuts, cheese, sunflower and pumpkin seeds(toast these in a fry pan and they're delicious).
river is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 10:34 PM   #7  
Mom to 2 beautiful boys!

S/C/G: 331/ticker/150

Height: 5'6"

Thank you!!! I appreciate all the suggestions. I hit my pts yesterday and after dinner tonight I have 7 left.

I was wondering how many calories 50 pts was: 2000, thanks!!

I feel like I have been at my laptop the last 3 days just educating myself. Thanks for the warm welcome!
osu2k1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 11:32 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 172.8/168/145 maybe?

Height: 5'2

girl, you'll be here more than that. Since i"m not working, i'm here all day. I don't even watch tv. There is so much to learn.
tytbody is offline   Reply With Quote