Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 01-02-2011, 04:50 PM   #1  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Default achilles tendonitis

I posted about this in the exercise thread, but maybe here is better, since I got no responses.
My heel/ankle has been bothering me for a while. A bit before Christmas, I decided to take a break from my workouts to see if rest would help. Its worse than ever.
I went to yoga today but couldn't do the balancing poses on that foot. I am having trouble walking. I have done what is usually recommended for achilles tendonitis, not helping much. I can't take anti-inflammatory drugs like aspirin and advil due to severe allergies.
anyone have experience with this? I see the doc on Wednesday, but in the meantime, real life experience is helpful.
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 05:20 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 243/190/150

Height: 5'4"

I had trouble with the same areas and my doc suggested it is likely bone spurs on my heels. It started while I was at my highest weight and started shortly after I began walking for exercise. I'm doing better since I've lost some weight, but I still have sore days. What has helped me the most is putting ice on the back of my heel and ankle right after I exercise. I found some gel packs at the drugstore that are rectangular shaped and I keep them in the freezer. Even after they are frozen, they are still flexible. I just holt it at the back of my foot/ankle and slip a sock on over the top. I usually leave it on for about an hour...it looks goofy, but has helped quite a bit. I even use the ice packs on the way home after a good long hike. I've not been as bothered this winter, thank goodness, so maybe it helps that the air temp is already cold. Good luck...and I hope you find something to releive the pai. It's not fun. I am just determined and stubborn enough to do the hikin whether it hurts or not, even on the morning when I walked the day before and can hardly hobble out of bed, but that isn't a very good suggestion to make for someone else to do.

Barb
angelskeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 05:36 PM   #3  
Healthy is Beautiful

S/C/G: 207/**ticker**/129

Height: 5' 4.5"

Well I can tell you from personal experience that you don't want to mess w/your achilles. A few days of exercising isn't going to kill you and it may prevent a serious injury from happening. I had a complete rupture of my achilles tendon, 3 bone breaks, and two torn ligaments, and I was out of commission for 6 solid months. I would just wait to wait and see what the doctor says and take it day by day. The most I would do right now would be light stretching on the lower body. You can always do an upper body workout until you know your medical status.

Last edited by Hopeful8; 01-02-2011 at 05:38 PM.
Hopeful8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 09:18 PM   #4  
Madeleine

hmm, thanks for the thoughts everyone, I am thinking that heel spurs may be the issue, it makes sense with my plantar fasciitis. Also explains when it didn't get better with rest. Will see what the doc says on Wednesday, but getting new orthotics may be the simple answer.
that would be nice!
Old 01-04-2011, 07:17 PM   #5  
Madeleine

Default big improvement

so, with the thought that it might be a heel spur, I started wearing my orthotics again. I had stopped because the plantar fasciitis was "gone" after a few years of wearing them, and I was able to afford very good shoes with excellent arch support built in, and for the last couple of years, had no problems.
Just a few days of wearing the orthotics and I am almost pain free. Very pleased, so thanks for the suggestion. Will get a new rx for a new set, as the last set is at least 5 years old. Glad for good benefits to get new ones.
Not having pain is great!
Old 01-04-2011, 08:50 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 243/190/150

Height: 5'4"

Congrarts on feeling better. Happy for ya!
Barb
angelskeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 01:29 PM   #7  
Madeleine

thanks barb, saw the doctor today and she agrees probably heel spurs, and gave me a scrip for new orthotics. I will go back if they get worse again or it doesn't keep improving. No xray for now (hurray) but will just treat the symptoms and see if they get better.
I thank you for your insight, it made some sense, and putting my old orthotics in was a risk free and cost free treatment. Since it helped so much, was definitely the right way to go. I hadn't realized that heel spurs were related to plantar fasciitis, so learned something new along the way.
Feeling much better now, not waking up in the night with pain works wonders for the temperment.
Old 12-07-2021, 06:02 AM   #8  

I am being a regular customer of running shoes from Best Running Accessories. The best of the site is that it display Pros & Cons of each shoe with legit reviews. Plus they have a specific rating of each attribute against each shoe
JohnDaly is offline   Reply With Quote