Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Closed Thread

Old 11-18-2002, 12:26 PM   #1  
Uber-Moderator!!

Default BFL/BB #77 - week of 18 Nov 2002

Woo! Sorry I was so late in starting a new thread!

Been a busy weekend for me - at the stables...then buckled down and CLEANED THE HOUSE big time...babysitting...plus Jim and I bought our Christmas present early this year - we don't give each other presents - what we do is buy something for the house. Last year it was a new TV and a DVD player - this year it's a surround-sound system (of course, with Jim being a musician and all, he likes the big theatre sound!). Took him all afternoon to get it working, and he'll be adjusting the speakers for the next month or so until it sounds perfect. I'm so glad HE enjoys doing that stuff, because I truly don't! I DID splurge on myself though - bought a Rio Sport MP3 player (my old Discman bit the dust around April of this year and I've been working out without music since then). I gotta tell you gals - it is AWESOME - so easy to download songs into that little gizmo - and NO SKIPPING! I didn't realize how much I missed having my tunes when working out!!! Too kewl!

Let me try and work my way backwards here...

CAC - WELCOME! Doing BFL as a vegetarian - depends on what SORT of vegetarian you are (speaking from someone who was a vegetarian - mostly lacto-ovo but with occasional forays into vegan - from 1991-2000). It CAN be done, but I can't see a vegan (no animal products at all) doing it successfully. Protein is so important in this - and soy protein isn't the greatest thing for building muscle unfortunately as it's not a 'complete' protein. If you can allow dairy and eggs into your diet - then you have a much better chance of success. And if you're a fish eating vegetarian - so much the better. I must say that once I gave up my vegetarian diet I felt MUCH better and healthier - I was borderline anemic for awhile due to lack of iron. But different strokes for different folks...you can also check at www.leanandstrong.com - I believe there are several vegetarians there...

Ledom - when traveling the first thing I do is check for a gym - and there should be one available in the area unless you're going to REALLY be in the sticks...check on the websites for 24 Hour Fitness, Gold's, World, Bally's or at www.heathclubs.com to see if there's one in the area. Other options are local community colleges, Park & Rec Center...YMCA...and also check the Yellow Pages as well for 'independent' gyms. Most gyms will allow you to buy a one-week membership if you're just traveling. I've never used resistance bands as generally speaking the places I travel to, I can find facilities without much trouble.

Sweet Chick - Your freeday hangover sounds like the ones I used to have...don't stress too much about it! IMO the first 12 weeks are the 'learning curve' of BFL. Especially if you've been dieting for your whole life, having the freedom of a day where you can eat what you want without guilt tends to make you (at first) want to eat everything you've ever wanted. Trust me - if you're eating clean the other six days of the week...you will eventually get over that Free Day bacchanalia. In my first challenge, my breakfasts were OBSCENE to say the least! Now I just have a Pamcake and I'm happy with that...yesterday I had a regular burrito and a frozen yogurt, and a few pieces of kappa maki (cucumber roll sushi). One valuable piece of advice that Susanje (where ARE you girl?!?) gave me a long time ago for Free Day is: KEEP DRINKING YOUR WATER on Free Day - shoot for a gallon if possible. Believe me, it really helps!

Gotta get back to work - I have to leave early today as our heater is being repaired this afternoon - so I'll likely be checking in again!
Old 11-18-2002, 06:44 PM   #2  
JEC
Aussie and proud

Hey guys,

Well I am at home for the second day and I am as sick as a dog. The doctor has me on anti-biotics since I have a viral throat infection of some type. Yesterday morning I couldn't swallow without wanting to cry. Of course both my diet and exercise have given way to rest and throat relievers.

I hope all is well with everyone!

JC

PS I hope that I get better soon!
Old 11-19-2002, 08:59 AM   #3  
Chick

S/C/G: 257.5/239.75/155

Height: 5'7 1/2"

Default Just

a quick howdy. Sorry your not feeling well JC. I hope you are feeling better today.

Hmmm, an MP3 player. That could be just the right christmas gift for my D's christmas present. Gotta get started on that. Glad to hear you got to replace your discman Karen.

All is well on the BFL front at the moment for me.
Old 11-19-2002, 06:37 PM   #4  
JEC
Aussie and proud

Hello again,

Wow it's quiet around here! I am back at work today and feeling a bit better but still the worse for wear. I am sick of tissue and medicine but I guess it comes with the territory. My throat is feeling better at least so I can eat again.

How's everyone going?

JC
Old 11-19-2002, 07:20 PM   #5  

Default getting there

so far so good this week.....my day off on sunday was terrible, ate too much. Didn't feel well...i am trying a different plan for my next day off.

I felt guilt about what I ate, how I felt. ....but i did learn that if the food is there...i will eat it....so i guess i can't order pizza....end of story...seems pretty simple..

I have been eating clean so far this week....and life is good...

one_sweetchick
Old 11-20-2002, 01:03 PM   #6  
Uber-Moderator!!

AACK! SO busy this week...getting ready for yet another meeting amongst the million other things I have to do...

It's been so quiet around here - whassup everyone? This week it has been really tough getting out from under the blankets early in the morning...Sparky has been snuggling down under the covers as well - however I have not missed a workout! Once I get out of bed and get movin', I don't have a problem - having tunes helps immeasurably as well!

Sweet Chick - I think I've stated this before - but my Free Days in my first challenge - and even into the second challenge - were just like that. Believe me, if you're eating clean over the week, you'll soon get over the big 'I-must-eat-everything-in-sight' mindset. When I have ice cream - generally it's frozen yogurt now - I don't eat a whole pint anymore, I'm happy with one scoop or one yogurt cone. I just eat it slowly and enjoy the sensation, you know?

One thing you might try - is during the week, if you are craving a certain 'unclean' food - write it down (I have a magnetic note pad on my fridge door). Then on your Free Day (and not before unless you have superhuman willpower!) if you are still craving the food(s) you wrote down, go to the store and buy just enough for that day - the basic thing is not to have any leftovers (actually I just give the leftovers to Jim to take to work the next day!)

JC - I'm lucky I haven't gotten sick this year yet - but all the horses in the stables seem to be coming down with the sniffles. If you want icky, have a horse with a snotty nose sneeze on you. Now THAT's yukky!
Old 11-20-2002, 03:07 PM   #7  
Losing Lbs/Finding Me

S/C/G: 270/235/160

Height: 5'4"

Hi all
Just thought I would check in and say I have lost 4 lbs this week. I am on my third week and have lost a total of 6 lbs in two weeks. I am starting to see a small change and know this really works. I am very excited about it. I love getting up before anyone else, head off to the gym and come back to face the day. And I was never a morning person before, but love it now.
Virginia
Old 11-20-2002, 07:16 PM   #8  
Mel

Default Arms workout

Had a great arms workout with the trainer at my gym today- he really pushed me hard and boy did I need it! Then came home and realized there was only 1 way the 90 million tons of leaves on our yard were going somewhere else, so I raked for the next 2 hours.

Now, I can't lift my arms above waist level, my lats hurt, and I'm only about 1/3 done the yard Took a double dose of glutamine...don't know if an overload does any good or not! Doing leaves on arm day is probably not a good idea!

JC- I sure hope you feel better! DH has got it too, and I'm keeping my distance.

Virginia- Good going! but stop weighing yourself! I still haven't convinced myself I like getting up early in the morning. I'm glad someone does.

ledom- you must be near the middle of c1 by now if I'm remembering correctly? How do you feel? Seeing changes? Did you change up your exercises?
OSC- Sounds like you're woing well, also. Good going.

Hi Karen! Think I'll pass on horse sneezes. A dog is bad enough.

mel
Old 11-20-2002, 07:42 PM   #9  
JEC
Aussie and proud

Hey guys!

I am still sick but drugged up enough to be at work today. Just trying to swill back as much water as possible to get rid of this virus. Hopefully I will be back on track by the weekend. I hate being off plan like this - I feel so lost. To make matters worse it's hard to sleep at night with the heat and also the crap flowing down to my chest when I am lying down. I had a coughing fit last night - not pretty! At least hubby says that I sound sexy with my throat like this!

It sure has been quiet here this week - where is everyone?

JC
Old 11-20-2002, 08:48 PM   #10  
Chick

Default Hey guys,

Thanks for asking about my progress Mel. I am seeing changes, though I'd love them to be even more dramatic (wouldn't we all!). The mental challenge is tough too. I will complete week 8 on Friday so I'm almost 2/3 done. I have lost 10 to 12 lbs. depending on which day I weigh. I fit a lot better into my clothes, but sorry to say none of them are to the point that they are falling off me. Yesterday morning when I looked in the mirror I thought I looked more flabby than before. Would you say that is a symptom of losing fat and having loose skin?

I am trying to put off this trip to take my mom to visit her sick sister until the challenge is over. I just know it would be impossible to do things right, though I'd sure try. I have a strong strong desire to make this 12 weeks as close to perfect as possible.
Old 11-20-2002, 09:00 PM   #11  
JEC
Aussie and proud

Hey ledom: YES that is a symptom of losing fat. It gets all jiggly before it gets burnt up. I have the same problem at the moment. I look like I am covered in cellulite and my tummy is almost watery underneath.

Pam B assures me this is all part of the process but it's still new for me!

JC
Old 11-21-2002, 08:59 AM   #12  
Chick

Default Well, JC

that is good to know. Now, WHEN is it going to get burnt up!! I mean how long from now? I am thinking about starting a thread on L&S about this.

It takes me a while to remember to answer all your questions Mel. I am going to switch my routine next week. It'll be the last third of the challenge. I am looking forward to it. I am glad I stuck out the exercises I chose for this third because I am starting to do them better. I need to sit down and figure out exactly what I'll do the next 4 weeks though.
Old 11-21-2002, 01:32 PM   #13  
Mel

Default It's negative!

I posted last week (2 weeks ago?) about being in a tizzy about a health situation- well, I just wanted to let you all know, I had a breast biopsy done last Monday and it's benign and shrinking! Very relieved.

onwards,
mel
Old 11-21-2002, 01:35 PM   #14  
Chick

Default Mel,

I'm so please for you. The best holiday news ever, huh?
Old 11-21-2002, 01:48 PM   #15  
Losing Lbs/Finding Me

S/C/G: 270/235/160

Height: 5'4"

Oh Mel,
That is fantastic! Glad all is well.
Virginia
Closed Thread