Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 12-29-2010, 07:49 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 237/237/150

Height: 5'3"

Default Preop diet support

So my dad is having the bypass in about a month, and has asked me to do the preop diet to help support him. I want to, I want to do whatever I can support wise, but is this healthy for someone not having the procedure?

Thanks!!
carrie31324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 10:34 PM   #2  

Hi..my preop diet was a version of atkins mostly protein,green vegies, and only 30 grms of carbs per day.. I think u could follow the diet and help your father at the same time,or follow a version of it. It was difficult but i wanted the surg more. I followed this diet for 6 months,lost 41 #'s and had my surg Nov 30th. Im doing fine,hope this helps. rosey
akrosey49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 10:11 AM   #3  
Old Cackler

interesting Q, carrie. just what does his doc want your dad to eat? in general - as rosey said - it SHOULD be OK, but there are some surgeons out there who want their patients on two protein shakes and one meal for a month or so, and that may not be the best thing FOR YOU.

are you the cook in the house? are you and dad living together? does he cook for himself? see - the Q i'm wondering about is this: if he were living in, say, NEW JERSEY without family nearby, could he manage the preop diet? and more important, could he manage the AFTERWARDS eating plan?

it's one thing to SUPPORT someone, to help them along, but it's quite another thing to take the responsibility of someone else's eating habits.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 01:32 PM   #4  

He is going to be on a mostly liquid diet, protein shakes, jello, that sort of thing. We do live together, but my mom is the cook. I am just not sure about the caloric intake for myself, and making sure I get enough. The only meal we all eat together is dinner. He can and will do it on his own, but maybe the meal we share is when I can have what he's having.
Old 12-30-2010, 06:28 PM   #5  
Old Cackler

Chances are that his doc wants him to do this liquid diet in order to shrink his liver. in other words, it's not a WEIGHT LOSS diet per se, but more of a MEDICAL diet. if his doc is going to let him have one meal a day, then eating it all together is a perfect idea.

if his doc won't let him stray off of liquids, it's going to be much harder for you and your mom. you can always keep him company with some tea or coffee, or jello, or whatever, but both of you will have to eat to take care of yourselves.

keep us posted! this sounds like an interesting experiment!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 09:05 PM   #6  

My dad got his date!! It's the 17th! I decided that I would have what he has for dinner, and just supplement it with a meat or veggies.

Now that he has his date, I am starting to really feel the pressure (that I put on myself) to lose this weight... All I think is I'm going to be the only fat person in my family now!! It's always something lol!!