PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Closed Thread

Old 11-17-2002, 10:19 PM   #1  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

Question Curious...How many of us have conceived with pcos?

Recently I met a young woman who told me that she wasnt ever going to have kids......she further explained that she had problems with her ovaries. She didnt remember what it was, until I asked if it was pcos. This is what she has........

Im curious, how many of us have been told we couldnt have kids, and did....without medical intervention.

Myself.......after 7 years of no contraception, I gave birth to a bouncing baby girl
I was walking out of the drug store, after dropping off my scrip for clomid, and on the way out, bought a preg. test. I tested positive and cancelled the scrip!!

Anyone else?
Robin
Old 11-18-2002, 07:10 AM   #2  
PCOS Educator (non prof)

I hear of TONS of women that are told they will never have kids with PCOS. I set em straight and tell them to get a diff doc. Although *I* was never able to conceive, I know tons of other PCOSers have. It varies so much that there just isnt any concrete information on this sort of thing.
Old 11-20-2002, 06:19 PM   #3  

Just wanted to say how inspirational it is to hear of you giving birth after 7 years!!

This month marks my 3 year anniversary of TTC and its had moments of being REALLY hard. But 3 years is nothing in comparision to 7!!!

So I will keep on trucking along. Things happen when they are meant to happen.

Question though: were you on any meds when you got prego? Specifically, glucophage?

With smiles and thanks,
Wifty
Old 03-21-2003, 12:02 AM   #4  
God, Give me strength !!

S/C/G: 240/240/150

Height: 5'7

I had my oldest daughter by the grace of god, she is now 9.... She was born in 94... I now have another daughter who is 9 months old.. she was born in 02....... I think there is hope Or I would like to believ there is foreveryone wanting a child.
Old 03-21-2003, 05:48 PM   #5  

Angry

RobinH,

Like you, it took 7 yrs until I conceived my daughter, now just turned 6! I was just starting w/ a reproductive endo (who by the way was the first to really diagnose my pcos at 29!!!! kind of scary...) He put me on a very low dose of prednisone to even out my testosterone levels, with plans to put me on Clomid. But after a month of this treatment, I was pregnant!

My son, born in 2000, was a wonderful, unexpected gift!

Good luck to you if you're trying to conceive!

NJCyster
Old 03-24-2003, 11:56 PM   #6  

I didn't know I had PCOS until after I had my beautiful daughter. I conceived her eating a Korean diet, mainly low carb and no meds. Hindsight is 20/20 isn't it? I only found out about the PCOS as we were trying for our second child and my diet had changed back to a North American palate.
Old 03-26-2003, 08:00 AM   #7  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

I can sure relate to this. I'm 64 now and was just diagnosed with PCOS last year! Talk about hindsight! I had ovarian cysts removed at 18 and 20, was not able to conceive so adopted my two kids, have battled weight all my life and now have Type II diabetes! Low carbing would definitely have helped.

I know this is off topic but I can sure relate to those of you trying to conceive.
Old 03-26-2003, 06:24 PM   #8  

I too was just recently diagnosed with PCOS at the age of 43, but have exhibited the symptoms since my early 20's - no one had a name for it then. I developed T2 diabetes due to untreated IR for many years and was then led to the diagnoses of PCOS.
I conceived 6 times in my life; 3 live births and 3 miscarriages. My first conception (and live birth) occurred when I was 21, having been married for 3 years and using no contraception. The older I become and the more advanced my PCOS, the harder it was to conceive. I have not used BC in nearly 13 years and my last conception was 11 years ago, which ended in a miscarriage.

Last edited by Sweeterthenmost; 03-26-2003 at 06:27 PM.
Old 04-04-2003, 08:12 PM   #9  

I've had two doctors in the last 8 months tell me I would never get pregnant without fertility treatments. I am now 7 weeks pregnant... and scared to death of miscarriage!
Old 04-05-2003, 05:17 PM   #10  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

RunnerDuck......Congratulations!!! Take care of yourself, and dont let yourself worry too much. Im sure everything will be just fine, You have been blessed You have just proven 2 doctors wrong!
Old 04-07-2003, 02:06 PM   #11  

Default HI

I wasn't able to conceive without help from an RE. I dealt with my OB/Gyn for a few years, trying Clomid off & on. It never worked for me. Then I started seeing an RE who gave me a very thorough work-up and started me on Gonal-F. On our 3rd try, we successfully got pregnant! Our little girl is now 7 months old, healthy and happy. No complication during my pregnancy either even though I was 35. By the way, I rarely got a period prior to seeing this doctor. He felt I was not ovulating at all and probably couldn't conceive without medication. HTH!
Old 04-09-2003, 12:45 AM   #12  

I conceived my first child at 22 easily after going off BCP. Unfortunately, she was born at 22 weeks and died. After 13 months of trying to get pregnant again, I was told I would need Clomid-did a pregnancy test before I started and found I was pregnant. My daughter was born in 1992 and in 1995 I had my little boy, again, within a month or so of going off BCP. Prior to any of my pregnancies I had been told I would have trouble conceiving due to PCOS. I guess you never know.

Susan
Old 04-14-2003, 07:28 PM   #13  

Wink

Hi,

I'm new here. I was diagnosed with PCOS about 10 years ago at that time I did not have a clue as to what they were telling me, but BOY do I know now. I started having my period when I was 10 years old-- how shocking is that!! I had no idea what a period was and my mother about fainted when I went to her because I thought I was dying and little did I know I would wind up like this.

Here is a little history, I am 35 and 6 years ago I had beautiful twin boys (thanks to IVF) after many years of medications (Clomid, Metrodin, etc) and no results. I was very lucky because insurance paid for all of it- BIG $$$$$ it took 2 attempts but I finally have my guys !! one looks like me and the other looks his dad-- we were truly blessed. Please hang in there, check out every option available.

On another note, I was wondering what low-carb diet everyone is on. I have about 65lbs to lose and I was wondering what was working for everyone out there.

Please let me know and remember anything is possible !!!
Old 04-16-2003, 07:00 PM   #14  

Default Newbie here

Hi: I have PCOS - I too started my period at age 10 - and I had my son at age 23, no problems getting pregnant - the only time I tried....but ever since I had him, I have never had such luck....I now know why, now that I have been diagnosed with PCOS...but he was a full term baby - actually 2.5 weeks late and had to be induced before he was ready to go to Kindergarten! At least that was how it felt!

Sabrina
Old 04-22-2003, 11:53 AM   #15  

Default conceived 2x with PCOS

Hi, I was diagnosed with PCOS after my first misscarriage when I couldn't conceive again. That was back in 97ish. I was told I couldn't conceive without drugs. I lost around about 50 pounds, and here I am with a 2 1/2 year old and a 9 month old. No drugs, no fancy stuff, just less weight and God on my side I guess.

Of course, the 2 pregnancies killed my weight loss and I'm 30 pounds heavier than 3 years ago and lookin to start all over again now, but at least I have my 2 angels (terrors?) now.

So good luck and don't believe everything the docs say. They are there to make money too...
Closed Thread