Closed Thread

Old 11-16-2002, 12:04 PM   #1  
Life Time 2001

Default Feisty & Sexy 50 & 60 year olds #199

Glenda: Im so sorry you are having problems with your Son. I have a Nephew like that. Unfortunely, my SIL finally had to just kick him out. He just didnt get it. And Unfortunely he still doesnt. He is about 35 now We all keep hoping he will clean up his act, but Alas Im afraid at the age he is now he wont. Slavika as always gave you some good advise.
Hang in there.

Slavika: I would go for the Velvet pants. You could get alot of use out of those. Glad DH went to the Dr and got more stuff to help him get better

Trudy: love what you said to Slavika 3FC has been having problems with the board so its not you!
Sides we would vouch for you anyways.

Ann: Wish I was planting flowers to Its cold here. But no snow!!
No DH hasnt found a job yet. He has had interviews, but hasnt heard anything yet. He is getting stir crazy right now. So I hope things start to look up for him soon. Are you working on all our Table runners ??????

Off to go do some shopping.

Last edited by LilyG; 11-16-2002 at 12:06 PM.
Old 11-16-2002, 03:57 PM   #2  
Net browser

Hi Everybody I went to a bigger mall this morning with DH to pick up suitcases for dil/son for Christmas and saw those velvet pants I told you all about. Well you know when you have a vision in your mind as to how you would look in something and then you try it on and reality and the vision are not even remotely the same. I thought since I am "short waisted" the pant's without a waist band would be perfect. The thing with these pants, was that they actually sat on the hips, not "just at the waist". All I would have needed was one of those stud thingme's stuck in my navel. OYE VEY what a sight that would be. I will try and find a pair of black velvet pants but in a different style or make do with something I already have. I'll keep looking. Thanks all for your input. The taffeta skirt would be lovely to wear over the holidays if all I had to do was just stand there and maybe occasionally wave.
ANN 2.8#. WTG. Goodness almost 3 lbs. You must have been very happy.
I sure envy you that you are planting flowers and we are cleaning away snow. The good news is that I have two Christmas Cactus plants and both are almost ready to bloom.
PEGGY I know that making the "snowkids" up are a lot of work but you must feel good that they are selling so well. That's great!
LILY I know your DH will soon find something, it must be hard on him.......the waiting.
MARIA everytime my grandson comes over and says he's going downstairs to see his DREAM MACHINE (his new bike) I think of you. My DH wanted to know how he had come up with that name for his bike so I explained about your DH new car.
Have a nice weekend everybody.
Old 11-16-2002, 09:39 PM   #3  
Life Time 2001

Ann: Ooops me. I forgot to congratulation you on the loss! Thats is awesome!

Slavika: Get the stud Just kidding! Those kind of pants would drive me nuts. I would always be pulling them up
To bad the pants did not work out. But you will find some that will work

Night all! Off to watch Spider Man.
Old 11-18-2002, 07:29 AM   #4  

Slavika maybe you would start a new trend with the Brittany look. How cute of your grandson to call his bike the dream machine. Ann do you handquilt the table runners? Congrats on the loss. Lily hope your dh finds something soon. Is he doing the house chores and cooking while you are working? I think the sun might come out today. Sure hope so since it has been cold and nasty. I hope to get out and mulch some more leaves.
Old 11-18-2002, 02:59 PM   #5  
Super Surfer

Smile congratulations Ann

You really had a great loss Ann.. that encourages the rest of us to work a little harder.
Ever since I cut way back on the amount of fiber I eat, my Hiatus Hernia and the GERD are much better. I am not taking Losec anymore and I use the occasional ant-acid. Eating less fiber also helps the appendectomy adhesions I have. I had this pain in my right side so long, had so many tests to find out why and it turned out to be scar tissue. Who knew?? I was disappointed in my Doctor because I think she should have figured it out long before she did.
Oh Slavika You sure do make me laugh. I know exactly how you felt in the "hipster" pants. I got fooled a couple of times, thinking I had the perfect pair and when I tried them on was so disappointed in them. I can just see you with a stud in your navel What a hip Baba you would make
Lily Sorry your DH hasn't found a job to suit him. I am sure he will find something

Hope everyone is having a good day...
Old 11-18-2002, 07:29 PM   #6  

G'day all,

I am back.......and feeling a bit better than I have. The day before we were to leave for Melbourne, my headache was so bad that dh rang our dd to say that we may not make it. I tried just about everything but in the end couldn't stop vomiting. I am sure that was because of all the medication that I took.
We left early Fridaymorning. By lunchtime I was feeling rotten and all I wanted was some fish and chips, we had that and surprise, surprise I started to feel better.
To cut a long story very short, it was a bit of up and down whilst away but we did discover when I ate some 'junkie' food, (something other than a lettuce leaf ) I felt better. DD told me to keep a diary and then go back to the doctors. Some of you mentioned if it was stress, dh also wonders if that is the case and feels bad because his work is the main reason for my stress. We came home last night and I am feeling better again this morning, I just don't know but will keep a bit of a diary.
The trip was wonderful, we normally share the driving but being sick I wasn't able to, dh was more than happy to drive all the way in his 'dream machine'. Everytime we had to pass a car, he would get this glint in his eye because it was an opportunityfor him to have to put his foot down and zoom passed! He still is in awe as to how it accelerates and just loves it.
The Great Ocean Road was spectactular, I have done this trip a number of times but you never get sick of the scenery, I am sure Jeney would agree. The Great Ocean Road is in her home state.
Glenda I agree with all that has been said, we all have our moments with our children I was impressed with Slavika's solution, getting her son back to Uni. I don't know if I could have been that tough! I am a bit pathetic, dh is a bit tougher but it all comes down to us doing what we feel is the right thing. I had a very long chat with dd whilst we were in Melbourne and it was really good. Our son and daughter are very different but are both very happy which of course, as a parent is really all that you want.

Well I have waffled on long enough, take care all, good luck Lily with your dh finding of a new job that he will like.

Cheers
Maria
Old 11-19-2002, 08:41 AM   #7  
Member Florida Chick

Smile Good Morning

Hi Everyone:

Maria: glad you are feeling better. A food diary is a good thing. you might even find that you are allergic to some foods. Wouldn't that be awful if it was lettuce: Glad you enjoyed your trip, even tho' you were'nt feeling the best. A good chat with ones DD is always uplifting. I'm looking forward to my eldest DD being here for Thanksgiving.

Trudy: Happy to hear your GERD is so well under control. It is great to know what causes the problem. Then to just keep away from those foods I find that when I keep away from chocolate I have much less difficulty.

Slavika: If you get your navel pierced you must post a photo to inspire us all.: You are clever you can make yourself the velvet pants just the way you want them. How nice your grandson can enjoy his 'dream machine' at your home. Did you see the reduced calorie pumpkin pie recipe on the WW letter? Have you ever used filo dough for crust? Thought I might try it.

Peggy: The first table runner I made was for me, and it was an experiment really, since I had never pieced by machine, So I did the whole thing by machine, except to complete the binding. Doing that by hand, and then it will be finished. If one doesn't look too closely the mistakes don't show. I learned a lot, so now when I make the next one for my DD Christmas gift I should not make the same mistakes. At least I hope I have learned something. I can handle one less than perfect, but wouldn't want to give it to anyone.

Lily: Thanks for the congrats, from you and everyone else. That was over a three week period, as I hadn't weighed in, in that time. Now the real test comes, to keep it coming off, especially with Thanksgiving coming, and then Christmas. But I am determined. But they say 'pride goeth before a fall' so I don't want to get too cocky.

I've been up early this a.m. couldn't sleep, as every thing seemed to hurt. That is what happens when we get cold weather. 49deg last night. I know you northerners would thin that was a heat wave, but for us it is cold. So I actually beat my dh to the computer and had a chance to do some things I have wanted to do. We joke about needing two computers, but sometimes it could save a lot of impatient feelings by the one who is not on it.

Hi Karen, Glenda,Jenye.

Guess now it is time for breakfast. "See you later" Ann
Old 11-19-2002, 10:17 AM   #8  
Fun Blonde

I haven't had time to post the last few days. When I did last time, I was just so frustrated with Cody and still am. He is in school, but he didn't apply for financial aid in a timely manner so he is still waiting and it is Nov. 19th. He has had such a checkered past--bottom line is that he has NO credit and we are his last ditch chance to come out of it. I have some things to be thankful for--no marriages (Lord, nobody is that stupid!) and no children (Would hate anybody to have to depend on him!)

Ann - you can give me your "imperfect" table runner. I would never know there were mistakes. And congratulations on the loss!

Trudy - glad you have your GERD under control. I am always amazed at how little a doctor really knows.

Lily - I have been where you are with an unemployed husband. But your husband has such good skills--shouldn't be long.

Slavika - Your description of your Brittany Spears pants was so funny! I have found you can never know what anything looks like on a hanger. You have to try it on. Every once in awhile I see a young person wearing that kind of pants who shouldn't. Not classy.

Maria - it is a wonder what stress can do and you have been in the thick of it for so long! Wouldn't it be something if you were allergic to lettuce?
Glenda
Old 11-19-2002, 01:58 PM   #9  
Net browser

Hi Everybody
Maria LOL I sure never thought of myself as tough, but I so didn't want my son to shut doors that would be very difficult to open in the future. Growing up, my son had two very very good friends that he met in grade school and remained friends with right on through high school and still is friends with them. Neither boy had a father in his life and their Mother's had to work very hard to support them and their siblings. The one boy lived in a old small moble home with his Mom, two younger sisters and a younger brother. He shared this tiny little bedroom with his brother. When he got out of high school, he got a summer job as he had done for the past couple of years, then a arranged for a student loan and enrolled in first year Computer Science, the same year my son enrolled at University (when he thought he would one day be a chemist). The other boy had one older sister and lived with her and his Mother (who he adored) in a small side by side. When he got out of grade 12 he got a job full time pumping gas at the same station that my son got that summer job. In fact, he actually helped my son get the job. When my son decided to go back to University that fall and try and get a degree in Computer Science both he and the other friend tried to talk the boy into going to school with them, instead of working at a gas station. It didn't work........they couldn't convince him, until the following year. By that time the one friend had finished his 2nd year, my son, had just completed his 1st year and now this boy finally went to school and ended up with a degree in Chartered Accounting. He is not married yet and still lives at home with his Mother who is getting on in years and still adores her and takes good care of her. He has had a few girlfriends over the years but that was it. My son will be 37 years old on the 23rd of this month and the other two boys are just a little bit older. Both the boys were in my son/dil wedding party. Sometimes I think about time when they were all so young. It's funny that the boy who had the hardest road to travel always seemed to know what he wanted and just kept on trucking. He now works for IBM. He used to come over here to study lots and lots of times because there just wasn't any little quiet space for him at home since that trailer was so small. He is also married and has a lovely wife who is a stock broker and they have a little girl.
I sure don't think that every kid on the planet has to go to university but I do think they should have jobs and take responsiblity for their lives. Nowadays, some kids want everything that their parents have and they want it NOW. Our son and dil have a lovely home now, but their first house was the one my son bought with his friend (the one who lived in the trailer). Son and dil bought the friend out and they lived there until they were expecting their second child (our granddaughter), as the house only had two very small bedrooms. When my son was about 25 he went back to University at nights and got his Master's Degree in Business Admin. It took him 5 years, and when he graduated both his young children were there.
Glenda and everybody, this is likely way more then any of you wanted to know, but I think sometimes kids take different paths but they eventually end up on the right road and your Cody will too.
I'm having the gals over for tea time so I better get going. Talk to you all later.

Last edited by slavika; 11-19-2002 at 06:58 PM.
Old 11-19-2002, 07:17 PM   #10  
Life Time 2001

Maria: Agree with your DH keep a dairy of what you eat. Could show all kinds of things. Might be of help to the Dr when you go to.
Sounds like you had a great trip anyways!

Ann: I have used filo dough before. I found it hard to work with. But it could of been cause it was my first time. I will probably make my Pumpkin Cheesecake for out Dinner. Dont know yet.

Trudy: Glad you got your GERD under control. I would of thought your Dr could of figured out the Scar tissue. At least you know now.

Slavika: Thanks for sharing the story with your son! I thought it was a great, and did show how different people travel different roads.

Glenda: Keep hanging in there with your son!

Best get moving. Have a great night all!
Old 11-19-2002, 07:51 PM   #11  

G'day all,

Feeling better all the time I will still keep the diary but I now think it was possible a combination of a virus and my hypo-glycemia.

Thank you for sharing your story about your son Slavika it is so true how different 'children' take different roads in life. I have never told any of you about my son-in-law .
He is a bright person but has suffered from depression and ADD. When he first came home to stay with us (at the time he lived in Sydney and dd was back in Adelaide) I came across medication that he was taking for his depression. On looking it up on the net I was horrified that he was on this sort of medication. I was in a real quandery, I spoke to my dd about it and she didn't feel it was any big deal. She also said you better get used to it Mum because I think he is going to be in my life for a long time to come.
At the time he was 29, the only thing he owned was an old Mini and his guitar (he is a brilliant guitarist). As you all know they did marry 12 months later. He was an upholsterer by trade but was always very interested in computers. DD encouraged him to sit for a mature age entry exam for University and he was amongst the top 5 % in Australia. He himself was quite amazed and in due course enrolled into Uni. He is doing a computer science course and for every exam he has done he has either received a high distinction or distinction. His parents are elderly (he was the youngest of 6 and born when his mother was 42) and they do have some old fashioned ideas and are crediting dd for all his recent achievements which of course is rubbish, she merely encouraged him. Our initial concerns have certainly proven to be unwarranted. Our recent weekend with them was great, they are so happy together. Besides studying, he works whenever he can fit it in and I can see a bright future for them. Our dd will get her psychology and nursing degree next year and her dh has decided to study part time and work so dd can concentrate on her final year. They seem to have it all worked out.
For our son everything seems always to fall into place The major hick-up in his life has been the ending of his previous relationship. He probably would not agree with that but that what it seems like it from the outside looking in. The wedding plans are coming along nicely and amongst the sporting world here in Adelaide, they are the talk of the town! Only 5 weeks to go now. You can learn a little about his wife to be here:

http://www.netball.asn.au/australian_team/squire.htm

I hope I did not bore your guys too much but Glenda things will look up and change when you probably least expect it.

Cheers
Maria

Last edited by flaggies; 11-19-2002 at 07:56 PM.
Old 11-20-2002, 01:47 PM   #12  
Life Time 2001

Not bored at all Maria.

Really like hearing these stories. Thats for sharing.
Loved reading about your new DIL to

I dont have any stories or I would share.
Old 11-20-2002, 05:01 PM   #13  

G'day all,

A glorious day here in Adelaide today.

We are off to THE place to be, England v Australia cricket Test match
I have tried to find a web site to perhaps explain a little about cricket but alas there seems to be lots of sites for the converted but none for the uninitiated
It is difficult to explain that a test match lasts 5 days but dh and I both enjoy the cricket especially on a magnificent day like today.
Here is a site where you can at least see where we will be all day today, I am really showing off our beautiful Adelaide Oval, it is said to be the most picturesque cricket ground in the world. Of course I would have to agree with that. Just for an added bit of trivia, the picture of the Adelaide Oval is right next to pictures of Glenelg which is about 15 minutes walk from my home!

http://www.aussiechick.com/adelaide.html

It was a big thrill when our son was selected to play here when he was 19 and 23, there wasn't quite the crowd but nevertheless a great experience for him and his proud parents.

Have a great day all
Cheers
Maria

ps Lily I think you are underestimated yourself a bit, I am sure you would have lots of stories to tell and I for one would love to hear more about your work, your hometown, your travels etc. etc. So go for it and surprise us

Last edited by flaggies; 11-20-2002 at 05:29 PM.
Old 11-20-2002, 05:17 PM   #14  
Fun Blonde

Maria - I couldn't get to the site. It just said "The parameter is incorrect." or something like that. I love to see the other side of the world.
Glenda
Old 11-20-2002, 05:19 PM   #15  

Glenda I had a few problems getting a site that works, this one does........I think!

Cheers
Maria
Closed Thread