Exercise Equipment Does it work? Share your experiences with exercise equipment here.

Old 12-22-2010, 07:30 AM   #1  
banned

Unhappy Help--I'm scared of my bike!

Okay, I realize that that sounds truly pathetic, and I assure you, I wasn't always like this. When I was a child I practically lived on my bike. I thought it was the funnest thing ever! I went fast, wrecked, got hurt, then got back on it and rode again like nothing ever happened. I was so excited about getting my bike. I fantasized about riding in the early morning with my husband, and enjoying the scenery... maybe packing a couple snacks for a picnic.

But it's all ruined now, I fear.

First off, we're on a budget, so we got cheap bikes ($55), but they seem to be made well for the price, and they were temporary, because we thought if we really liked them then we would invest in better ones later (though, nothing over $200). I'm bad about buying things that I think I will like, then changing my mind later.

Secondly, even after adjusting the seat, the bike is still too tall for me. The seat reaches my waist when I stand beside it, and I have to tilt the bike to the side to get off of it, and hop up to mount it. Last night I even fell on the road trying to get off of it. *embarrassed* Also, when I'm on it, I can only touch the tip of one shoe to the ground (the other foot floating in the air). I have to wear my big walmart-brand of sketchers shape-ups for extra height, because I'm around four foot nine or ten.

I realize that I probably need a shorter bike, but that's not an option right now, because of our budget, and I'm not sure I can return a used bike (I still have the receipt and warranty). Does anyone have any other suggestions or should I just set it aside until I can get another one? I feel really stupid having such an irrational, immature fear. *rolls eyes*

Last edited by 3FCer344892; 12-22-2010 at 07:37 AM.
3FCer344892 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 08:06 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 186/150/145

Height: 5'7"

I'm sorry I have no advice, but I understand your fear. You really do have to be able to get your feet on the ground in a split second. Otherwise you risk falling...as you already know. How cheap are children's bikes? Kids seem to be able to whiz around with no trouble. At least it seems their bikes are functional.
4xcharm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 08:47 AM   #3  

Why not put it on Craig's List to sell it or trade for a smaller one? It wouldn't be right to take it back to the store. Didn't you see it was too tall when you bought it?
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 09:28 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 337.4/322/155

Height: 5'8

I'm totally scared of my bike too! I got it for my birthday in September and I still haven't taken it on real roads. I just go to a nearby park with a long, flat path. I've retired my bike for the winter (brrrrr) but I'm doing spin class to try and prep myself for getting back into it come spring. Waist high does sound pretty darn tall, but keep in mind you don't want to go too short when you can get a new one. I was really struggling to pedal mine at first and then when I raised the seat, it got so much easier! The seat of my bike probably comes up to the top of my hip. I do have to tilt it slightly to get on and off, and I can't put both feet on the ground at once.

As far as what to do with the too tall bike, I agree with the craigslist idea
Aclai4067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 02:02 AM   #5  
banned

QuilterInVA, I thought the seat would lower more than it did. Also, I haven't had one for a long time, and didn't know my size.

Thanks for all of your advice.
Old 12-30-2010, 08:38 PM   #6  

I just want to say, not pathetic AT ALL! I won a bike in a blog contest but it is a 19" frame, too big for me and I'm scared of it too! I can't touch ground at all and it has just sat in the garage. The contest sponsor only offered the one size and I didn't know the size until it arrived on my doorstep. Nice bike, but TOO BIG! The bike shop guy who checked my assembly for me said the same thing.

I'm over 50, live on a steep hill and terrified to even try to ride this thing!

I think I need to sell it and see if I can find something decent used for whatever it might bring.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 02:14 AM   #7  
banned

Well, a while back, my husband removed the reflector on the back of the seat, which allowed him to lower the seat an inch or so more. MUCH better, but still not perfect. I can at least get on it without having to move to certain parts of the road now. lol.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:45 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 350/296/125

Height: 177cm

I have a similar issue with my bicycle. It is larger than what I am used to but from what I have researched...it's supposed to be. You should have your leg fully extended when peddaling to get the most use out of your muscles and so you don't injure your knees!

My best advice would be to practice practice practice. Aim to ride your bike for about 10 minutes every other day and then increase. Eventually you will get comfortable and you will figure out how to balance and dismount gracefully. A suggestion is using a curb as a step stool to hop on. Again, it will take practice but you can do it. I too have to lean my bike before I can get off but I've gotten to the point where I can do it rather quickly. Wear padding (like knee pads and elbow pads) if you are fearful, it really helps!
Skellig19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:55 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 232/ticker/155

Height: 5'10"

I'm kinda in the same predicament as you. I used to LOVE riding my bike when I was a kid---I've got the scars to prove it!!! But the last time I rode a bike was in the 6th grade. I'm 31 now. So this past spring with the weather warming up and my ex being an outdoor nut, I decided to get a bike. I was fantasizing about having these awesome rides breathing in the spring air, hearing birds chirp..... I went to REI and they fitted me for a bike, which was great 'cause I had no idea what to look for in one. I paid about $500 (which is on the cheaper side for that place) for mine. It's a cute mint green hybrid bike with a chocolate colored seat. We went out for our first ride and I realized I had no idea how to ride anymore. I was all wobbly and slow and a couple hundred pounds heavier than I was the last time I did this. I couldn't stand on the bike to peddle, so I couldn't take any of the hills (and there were a lot). My ex ended up getting frustrated with me 'cause he had to keep slowing down and coming back for me and I kept getting frustrated 'cause I couldn't do what I used to be able to and he couldn't understand that. I ended using that bike twice before I chained it to my balcony where it's currently sitting growing rust. With the weather cooling down fast, I won't be taking it out again for at least several more months, and I'm hoping by then I'll be in better shape with a much more patient riding buddy.
Lakilaulea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:03 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 350/296/125

Height: 177cm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakilaulea View Post
I'm kinda in the same predicament as you. I used to LOVE riding my bike when I was a kid---I've got the scars to prove it!!! But the last time I rode a bike was in the 6th grade. I'm 31 now. So this past spring with the weather warming up and my ex being an outdoor nut, I decided to get a bike. I was fantasizing about having these awesome rides breathing in the spring air, hearing birds chirp..... I went to REI and they fitted me for a bike, which was great 'cause I had no idea what to look for in one. I paid about $500 (which is on the cheaper side for that place) for mine. It's a cute mint green hybrid bike with a chocolate colored seat. We went out for our first ride and I realized I had no idea how to ride anymore. I was all wobbly and slow and a couple hundred pounds heavier than I was the last time I did this. I couldn't stand on the bike to peddle, so I couldn't take any of the hills (and there were a lot). My ex ended up getting frustrated with me 'cause he had to keep slowing down and coming back for me and I kept getting frustrated 'cause I couldn't do what I used to be able to and he couldn't understand that. I ended using that bike twice before I chained it to my balcony where it's currently sitting growing rust. With the weather cooling down fast, I won't be taking it out again for at least several more months, and I'm hoping by then I'll be in better shape with a much more patient riding buddy.
It is TOUGH cycling as an adult if you didn't transition with a bike from childhood. I completely understand. To give you some hope, I still have major trouble getting up hills but I manage a 6 mile ride every Sunday for the past 3 months. Each ride have grown more graceful and athletic in my cycling and the route itself has magically gotten easier. Because it's the same route each time I can really gauge my distance and how much better I do each week. It is such a huge motivator. The biggest thing is DON'T GIVE UP! You can do it. Start small and increase a reasonable and measureable amount each ride.
Skellig19 is offline   Reply With Quote