Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-21-2010, 10:47 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 255.5/196/158

Height: 5'7"

Unhappy Need HELP Spinning Out of Control

To start off I have been very consistantly sticking to WOE and not cheating.

It started on Friday when I went to visit my sister and mother for the weekend. I ate two little dateballs that night.

The next day we made buns to freeze for Christmas as my mother had carpal tunnel surgery that day and needed help. I ate three small buns with butter and then snuck a couple of more cookies. I had terrible heartburn all night.

The next day went shopping at Sam's and tried ALL the samples including cake, 3 cheesecakes and fudge. Then two more buns.

Monday at work ate a piece of Christmas Candy before I even had my coat off. I tried to stick to plan the rest of the workday. When I went home that night I overate on cheese, crackers and cereal despite starting with a cucumber.

I seem to have lost my motivation to follow my plan and it isn't even Christmas yet. I am thinking about food food food. I am very worried and really upset with myself. I need to get back in control.
kittycarlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 11:03 AM   #2  
small plates small bites

S/C/G: 187/135.9/135

Height: 5'6"

I hear you. Sending will power and positive eating karma. I am terrible at resisting those samples at Sams or Costco! One incident a few years back left me stalking the meatball cart around the store. Not a proud moment
I'm leaving on a cruise later this week--- which I'm looking forward to as a needed break from work but WOW, all the food. A floating island filled with treats, basically. And no escape!
Best of luck to both of us-- you've made such great progress so far!
TapasLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 11:08 AM   #3  
one choice at a time

S/C/G: 275/155/189/???

Height: 5'5"

A lot of the things you have been snacking on are foods that people often report as "trigger foods" which set of the kind of behaviors you are talking about.

You may just have to tell yourself "no" and white-knuckle your way through a couple of difficult days to get your control back.

It's not about "motivation", it's about commitment. Be committed to eating according to plan whether you are motivated at a particular moment or not.
carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 12:40 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 201/201/135

Height: 5'6"

Hang in there! You have made SO much amazing progress - don't forget to look at your ticker and see what you've acomplished! You clearly have the power and the will to do this and see it through to your goal. I don't think a few off days are the end of the world, but awknowledge them as just that, and get back up.

I bet you never thought to yourself - I'll *never* have another bun again. You knew you would at some point, and I think that's what makes this WOE livable. This is totally okay - just don't get discouraged!

I so admire what you've done so far - now get back up on the saddle!
kcnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 01:27 PM   #5  
Token rooster

Height: 6'2

What would it take to get back in control? You've done so much already that is positive, that I'd hate to see you give up too much ground that you've achieved. When you start to slip a little bit, you have to be very careful to not let it turn into an avalanche. Right now, you have recognized things are slipping and it sounds like you are ready to get back ASAP.

Honestly, all I think it takes to get your motivation and drive back is one good day. Challenge yourself to have one spectacular awesome OP day where you eat right on plan and get plenty of exercise. One day will lead to another day, etc. You just need to get the process started.

I know you can do it! How was today? Are you feeling positive?
matt_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 02:00 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 129/108/108

Height: 5' 3 1/2"

For me, it takes about three days to truly know I am on the right track again. I've made it one day before and promptly fallen off the wagon again the day after. The only way for me to get back on track is to take control and white-knuckle it through those first three days. I've even had to talk to myself before, tell myself "No!", while standing in front of the candy box at work.

It's not easy—it's soooo not easy in my estimation—to get back on track when you keep waiting for the motivation to strike. In fact, I'm not even sure it's possible. I've gone years before waiting for that to happen. The only thing that truly works for me is just to commit and then fight for myself, fight for my goals, through those first few days. As I say, sometimes I even have to talk to myself. I walk toward temptation, then away, toward it, and away again, talking to myself, talking myself off the ledge. It can be a real struggle. But I fight. And, after that? At least for me it gets a whole lot easier. It isn't always easy after that, but it's much, much easier. Nothing is as hard as making it through the first 72 hours—for me.

Last edited by Petite Powerhouse; 12-21-2010 at 02:03 PM.
Petite Powerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 07:30 PM   #7  
shwerk

S/C/G: 274/158/145

i'm struggling too, except not so much with food. :{

i cant seem to get myself to the gym.

i hate going to new gyms, and since i'm home for break i can't go to the one i usually frequent. i have to pay $20 for less than a month to go to this one and they want me to bring in my college schedule as well as a school ID and all of this ridiculous ~crap~ and i seeeeriously can't find the motivation right now.

i keep making excuses.

uggghh.

i'll just be happy if i maintain til school starts, at this point.

christmas suuuucks for weight loss. i hope you get back on track!
gagalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 07:46 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 264/202/163

Height: 5'4"

gagalu- don't make excuses- I think 20.00 to go to the gym over your college break is well worth it. What's so hard about showing your schedule and ID- they're probably giving you a deal. If I had the months off from school and was home on break I would spend HOURS at the gym. If I didn't have all the responsibilities I have right now and the limited 2 hour child watch at the gym I would be there 3- 4 hours a day. I am totally jealous of you! Your break is the BEST time for you!

The food issue is so hard. Sometimes I struggle. 2 weeks ago we made christmas cookies and I woke up at 2AM to sneak them. Like the calories didn't count b/c everyone else was sleeping. Susequently I gave all the cookies away. It is so worth it to control the urges or at least not over do it. I hope that everyone finds the strength to fight the urge!
stacygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 12:24 AM   #9  
a life change not a diet

S/C/G: 265/170/170

Height: 5'8"

remember one thing weight loss is a life change not a diet
day13021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 11:17 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 255.5/196/158

Thanks everyone. Your support was really helpful and I really needed it. I agree with Matt I do not want to start a landslide.

I also agree it will take 3 days or so of clean eating to subdue the cravings. I did well yesterday but won't make three days before Christmas travel. I've made a deal with myself to stick to plan today and tomorrow no matter what.
I've resisted the piles of sweets here at work and keep telling myself to stay away, stay away. I did not attend the company dinner last night.

I've decided that I will have a few sweets Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. I will allow a limited number and not go whole hog. Also I will eat small servings of the meals with bigger portions of allowed food. I will not beat myself up for not being on plan.

I will acknowledge that I will have to white knuckle it again starting on the
26th.
Then I will go back to the beginning and do the things that helped me get solidly on plan before like my food journal, exercise journal, keeping track of water. 3 cups of green tea. Eating within an hour of getting up. An EAS advantage shake if I get too hungry. I will go back to larger servings of protein and less carbs to start again.

kcnc thanks for reminding me that it was bound to happen sooner or later. The part I didn't like was that when I did eat off plan I wanted more, more, more.... It is scary to see how tenuous my control is. I know that part of the problem after the buns was abstainess violation effect. Thinking that ""well you blew it so you might as well have the sugary samples too"". The thing was a part of me was trying to stop myself but a stronger part was wanting more and more.

I'm sorry for the rambling. But I need to fix this as I want to keep losing and feel in control again. I want it to be easy again.

Last edited by kittycarlson; 12-22-2010 at 11:19 AM.
kittycarlson is offline   Reply With Quote