PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 12-14-2010, 04:10 PM   #1  
Chubby Chick

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5,4

Question Any bad side effects from stopping metformin?

This is my 2nd week of taking it and i feel sick. I want to stop taking it.

did any of you suffer any side effects from stopping it? and did your doctor take you off of it slowly or suddenly?
helwa588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 11:57 PM   #2  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

No -- I don't remember side effects when I was able to stop it.

Which one are you one? Perhaps try different formula?

Metformin Extended release, Avandia, etc.

Also, remember to stair step up to your level. I had to take 2000, but did it like 500 one week, then 1000, then 1500, then 2000. Jumping right up to 2000 would have made me feel nasty.

A
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 06:21 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 295/278/160

Height: 5'7

I was prescribed Metformin last month, and started it right away. By day 2 I found I felt horrid. So I stopped taking it. I had been prescribed 500 MG twice a day for Insulin Resistance. When I told my doctor I had stopped taking it, she wanted me to back on it, and suggested I start at 1/2 dose. I resisted through the rest of December, and did some research.

I have read that some people feel particularly ill when eating high sugar foods while taking Metformin. So, yesterday I started back on it, at 1/2 dose, and had NO problem, until today when I binged on Reece's Pieces, then felt awful for a couple of hours, but am doing fine again now.

I know this won't be the case for everyone, but it seems to be helping me, and it's good inspiration for me to keep my sugar intake low. I will try upping my dose to the full 500 mg 2x daily in a week or 2. My doctor wants me on it not only to help keep my sugars down, but she thinks it will help with weight loss as well! Here's hoping!

I hope you find a good solution!

Christine
OhMyDogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 07:23 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 300/300/250

Height: 5'7

I started easy, also. I started taking 500 mgs for a week, then 1000, then 2000. I took myself off during the holidays so I could enjoy sugary, carby meals that are tradition in my family and had no adverse effects whatsoever. I just started taking it again 2 days ago. The first day I took 1000 mgs had no issues so today I took the regular 2000.. I had a few potty issues, but nothing MAJOR. I hope you can stick it out, but if you cannot, it's my guess that you'll have no problems taking yourself off! GOOD LUCK!
Princess Peach is offline   Reply With Quote