Old 12-07-2010, 03:21 PM   #1  
Token rooster

Height: 6'2

Default challenging week

3 nights this week I have plans that will involve restaurant food. I get take out food all the time, but I make healthy choices and I go to the same places. These are challenging restaurants for me and I'm going to have to figure out what I'm getting. I HATE eating off of my routine.

Tonight, I'm meeting someone at this Mexican/ Cajun restaurant. They have salmon on the menu and that is always my healthy "go to" dinner. The problem here is that this is a place that automatically places a giant basket of chips and salsa on the table before the meal arrives. As much as I try to avoid eating any of them, I always cave in. I would normally tell them to not bring it out, but I'm going with someone else and I'm sure they would want to eat them. So wish me good luck on avoiding eating the fat laden and salty chips. Also, I feel like sort of a weirdo sitting there not eating the chips. Its like I have this giant "I'm trying to lose weight" mark on me. I've noticed that *not* eating something like that makes other people uncomfortable and I'm sure I will be asked why I'm not eating them.

Tomorrow, I'm going to this Italian/ steak house restaurant. Again, I might end up going with Salmon. Any other ideas for something healthy and relatively low-cal?

Finally, on Saturday I will be at this Mexican restaurant. I'm told we will all be trying the grasshopper appetiser, but after that, I have no idea what I can get. Yes, believe it or not, they also have a grilled salmon. I might be salmon'd out before this week is over.

I really want to stay within my calorie range and have a good week. I'm open to any strategies or thoughts about handling new places to eat. Luckily these are places with the menu online so I can at least plan ahead somewhat.

Last edited by matt_H; 12-07-2010 at 03:25 PM.
matt_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 03:36 PM   #2  
Back at It!

S/C/G: 238/220/170

Height: 5'4 1/2

Looking at the menu is making me hungry..lol. I hate eating out and having to make these decisions, but it is good that you are planning ahead. The first restaurant, perhaps you can talk to your friend about it..or you can have one or two chips just to say you've tried them. The menu looks fantastic. I love love Mexican food. I noticed they have veggie fajitas on the menu. That looks healthy except for the sour cream of course.

The second menu also looks amazing. The shrimp scampi looks delicious. They also have some nice salads on the menu.

Another Mexican place...wow! I'm jealous!
Some of the chicken plates look quite healthy and delicious.

I try to just stick with Subway, and eating out once a week to avoid the temptation, but I think you would be salmoned out if you had it three times in a week.
Jojo381972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 03:50 PM   #3  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

It's funny how we perceive ourselves. Matt, your a skinny guy now. It would never cross anyone's mind that you are not eating the chips because you are trying to lose weight. They might think that the reason you are so thin is because you don't eat crap like chips!!! You need to embrace the new you. Chips are not a food you eat...period. Be proud of it!
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 03:56 PM   #4  
unabashed

S/C/G: 344/321/220

Height: 5'5

at the border place you could get the vegetable fajitas or blackened chicken or blackened mesquite chicken salad (ask for no cheese/sour cream/guac)

at the italian place you could do the grilled chicken with olive oil and herbs or the salmon or they seem to have some healthy sides if you could just get a protein and then two sides of your choice (rice pilaf, steamed broccoli or grilled asparagus)

I"d save the salmon for the last place it has the least amount of healthy options and it might be the best 'go to'. also the tinga poblana sounds okay. as does the pipian paskal.

at the mexican places I would either get no cheese on whatever you get or get it on the side/light.

veggie options are usually safe.

Also, I would get a to go box as soon as your food comes and scoop half of it away so you aren't tempted. Also, I find eating something healthy before I leave the house keeps me from over eating at a restaurant. A half cup of cottage cheese or something.

If you're trying to avoid a discussion on weight loss re: chips or re: packing away half your food, I suggest:

you could say you're trying to watch your sodium intake and the dinner will be salty enough so maybe chips aren't a good idea?

Eat half your meal (will power here), and then ask for a box and say you just weren't that hungry.
lottie63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 03:58 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 325/125/maintaining

Height: 5'6.5

Ditto to what Sandi said.^^^
Tell them you don't like to fill up on chips, if they say anything.
KatMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 04:00 PM   #6  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

I agree with Sandi! You can't worry about what other people think. Most of the time they won't pay any attention to what you're eating or not eating. Those who do and comment on it are just... RUDE!

Here is a strategy I used with corn chips. I would take five chips and put them on my bread plate, or if there were no plates, just on a napkin. That would be my serving of chips. I would eat them slowly, a couple bites per chip, with salsa. Once they were gone, that was it for my serving of chips.

Now, if you think you could do that and could stick with the self-imposed limit, try it. If you don't think you could, then don't. Just skip the corn chips.

I agree that shrimp is a good alternative, if it's broiled (and you can eat shrimp). And often there is a good chicken dish available, too. And at the Mexican places, I'd skip the rice and beans if they are included and just get a la carte.

Good luck! It sounds like good food!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 04:06 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 333/*ticker*/150

I agree - there's no way I'd be looking at you thinking the reason you aren't eating the chips is because you're trying to lose weight!

I do know the stress of trying to plan a meal out and kudos to you for trying to make your choices before hand! My 'go to' healthy option when eating out is baked/grilled chicken and, although I like it, sometimes enough is enough already!

Personally I'd go along with what some others have said and maybe opt for one of the veggie options at the first place (putting all the 'bad' stuff on the side - or not at all). At the Italian/steak place that grilled chicken sounded amazing - they also had some other amazing grilled seafood options as well if you like any of them - and with some of the healthier side options like broccoli it probably wouldn't be too bad at all. I'd save the salmon for the last place because there really isn't a whole lot of options there.
Sunshine73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 04:46 PM   #8  
Calorie Counter-Runner

S/C/G: 309/158/164

Height: 5'8

Can't help much on the Mexican stuff, I really dont ever dine-out in these places. Instead of these as a appetizer, ask if they can bring you out a salad at the same time, they eat the chips, you eat the salad.

Chicken is always an option and so is a small steak with portobellos. Maybe with a baked potato (stuff on the side) with veggies.

I actually trust that these days you will certainly find ways to be clean about your intake because most menu's have a 'healthier than option menu' .

Don't ever be afraid to tell them to cook something a specific way, you can always leave the chef an extra tip for cooking something an extra special way for you.

Enjoy these fun outings!
twinmommaplusone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 05:39 PM   #9  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Here I am, the woman who can & will make a pain in the butt of herself at restaurants.

And I, too, would practice salmon avoidance. I try to eat salmon frequently within my own home, but I can cook it myself perfectly well, in several different ways. When I'm out at a restaurant, salmon is my order of last resort, a reliable standby but one that I hesitate to resort to.

But if you order as I would, by the end of the week, you might find yourself growing a dorsal fin & breathing through newly developed gills.

(You'll know after reading this that I really like seafood. I try to eat it at least twice a week.)

At the first restaurant, I'd order blackened swordfish, and I'd tell them I wanted to substitute a side of Jose's mixed vegetables for white rice. ("No quiero arroz blanco.") I'd also tell them to go light on the seasoning of the veggies, if possible. I might also ask them to leave off the mango salsa & hope it wasn't meant to cover up their chef's habit of habitually drying out nice pieces of swordfish. Swordfish is about as filling as a cut of beef, so I'd be fine there with nothing else.

At the second place, I'd get the mixed greens salad, with dressing on the side, and steamed broccoli. I'd either break the bank by getting the raw bar sampler from the appetizer menu, and refuse to share ;-), or I'd get grilled shrimp or grilled scallops. I might also instead get steamers from the appetizer section & simply not use the butter. Clambroth works fine; I might ask for that instead.

That third place is very intriguing, and that would be my temptation to go offplan, rather than the usual chips & salsa. The Pipian Paskal is what I'm curious about. But I'd likely get the tilapia in mole, though not without querying the waitress about how the tilapia is cooked. I'd get the Ensalada de Nopal & tell them "No cheese," perhaps lying about dairy issues to ensure they complied.

Last edited by saef; 12-07-2010 at 05:40 PM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 06:09 PM   #10  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'4"

Stearn's and Hill's looks like a LOT of options

mussels or shrimp appetizers or lobster cocktail, maybe with a soup or salad (I often get an appetizer or two rather than a full meal)

Any of the steaks
the chicken or fish can be grilled
broccoli, mushroom, or asparagus side dishes Yum!

Tu y yo

Longaniza appetizer with ensalada de nopale (how often can you try cactus!?)
Frog legs!
either of the Bisteces (beef)
Tinga poblana (chicken)
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 07:14 PM   #11  
On a mission

S/C/G: HW280/CW270/GW160

Height: 5'9"

Default Great Mexican food

I am just starting on this journey, and still have a LONG way to go. I do know a bit about mexican food (Having grown up my entire life with it.)
So, a few options.

- Try to order things more a la carte, rather than in combos. The combos usually come with refried beans and rice, and they do a final flash cook with cheese and sauce over everything.
- corn tortillas have about 100 less calories per serving than flour and have a better flavor IMO.
- Order "frijoles de la olla" (out of the pan) instead of refried beans. They are healthier for you as long as they are not made with lard. They are also more filling. They also really have better flavor.
- Fajitas are a really good choice, because everything comes out separate, so you can add a ton of peppers and vegetables and avoid the cheese.
- Now, my hands down, favorite food are tamales. With pork,beef or chicken, one tamale is about 187 calories. A sweet one (masa, or cornmeal only with sugar and spices) is about 90 calories.
- Coming in second is chile relleno, which is a chili stuffed with cheese and egg. It comes in around 360-375 calories.
- Depending on the restaurant, they may have roasted vegetables that they can serve, and that may be a great option.
- Finally, the chili colorados, durangos, or mole, are common. They have great flavor, but tend to drown out everything out. (For this reason, this is NOT my favorite foods) I also have no idea what they are made with. so if you get that, order the sauce on the side.

Now, these are the fitday.com numbers that I have plugged in. I have no doubt the actual numbers will vary, but they have to be close enough to go with.

The thing is that Mexican food is really about the flavors and spices. The key is to stay away from the creams, and some of the cheese. I am not sure what your caloric goals are for that day, but if you can just stay away from the chips, you have won more than half the battle.

Enjoy the dinner and the company! Hopefully you will have a great night!
vdander24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 07:49 PM   #12  
Restart Date: 10/25/2009

S/C/G: 215/160/115 HW: 235

Oh boy! I too don't like eating out especially at places that don't have nutritional info posted online for me to research online beforehand.

Something I do at Mexican places when I can't read the nutritional info is order either the fajita platter and then just eat the grilled meat and veggie strips without wrapping them in the tortillas provided. I also have been known to order the taco salad that comes in the crunchy bowl minus the crunchy bowl. Stay away from the retried beans as they may have lard in them.

At non Mexican places I usually opt for a salad with grilled meat. Sometimes I want something that is NOT a cold salad so I'll order some kind of grilled meat with veggies. A few places have let me substitute a sweet potato (not candied or full of marshmallow fluff) for fries or a regular potato.

Let us know how it goes.
lovemyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 08:09 PM   #13  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

Alternative idea: on restaurant days, just eat dinner

I hear you on the chips-pushing. It is really uncomfortable when you're the only one not eating something.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 11:23 PM   #14  
Token rooster

Height: 6'2

Dinner plans tonight got changed and we went to a hockey game instead, so no chips and salsa for me. I actually ate really healthy this evening and stayed OP. 1 day of 3 days down
matt_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 01:22 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 298/238...285.5/217/150

Height: 5'5"

I'd take hockey over mexican restaurant anyday, anytime, no matter what.
I'm a transplanted Red Wings (prior season ticket holder) fan living in New Mexico where they don't cover much hockey unless there's a huge brawl. Bruins vs. who? Highlights?

Man, I miss the smell of the ice.
DixC Chix is offline   Reply With Quote