PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 12-06-2010, 09:16 AM   #1  
Chubby Chick

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5,4

Default Just been put on metformin. Will it really help me lose weight

Just been put on metformin. My gyno told me today that I need to lose more weight and that metformin would help me.

Does really help? And does eating bad carbs make it worse?
helwa588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 09:50 AM   #2  
OMW to a brand new me!

S/C/G: 312/seeticker/135

Height: 5'1"

It helped me. But only because it made me sick I think. Anything with sugar in it caused intestinal ...distress lol.

From what I was told, and have read and seen, it does not help everyone.
lazylioness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 10:24 AM   #3  
Calorie Counter

S/C/G: 197/ticker/136

Height: 1.65m

Ditto me, I only lose weight from feeling too sick to eat anything! Been years since I was on it, I couldn't tolerate the nausea at all. Might work for you though, and if the balance is right you may find you get a curbed appetite without actually feeling sick.
RoseRodent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 10:36 AM   #4  
It is what it is...

I lost some the first few weeks I was on it, probably like others said it was just from the upset stomach bit ...hasnt really helped with weightloss since then though and have been on it for a couple of years now
Satine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 02:52 PM   #5  
Day 1 back on plan...

S/C/G: 244/tickers/175

No I don't think it helps with weight loss however it does help me from GAINING weight so easily. I went on it without watching my calorie intake and when I finally was brave enough to step on the scale I had not gained a pound. The first few weeks getting used to it was rough. I took it slow and didn't up my dose until my body was use to each dose..Once I was on it for a while I didn't have problems unless I ate a lot of acid type foods or a lot of sweets.
Losing4another is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 08:21 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 240/240/200

Height: 5'6"

I'm not entirely sure how much it has helped me lose weight. My gyno told me that if I take it 3 times a day with each meal (totalling 1500 milligrams) it will help the weight loss process start, but i've been bad about taking my evening pill and i haven't monitored my weight and i've been eating a lot of fast food.

the thing about metformin is that it's different with everyone as far as side effects go, but don't be too scared of it, because it just takes some getting used to. MAKE SURE you get the extended release version, because it will be a TON less harsh! the regular version was havoc. it will take about a week for your body to get used to each dosage, and you might end up with the upset stomach and diarrhea, but it passes as your body gets used to it.

what it will do is help your body metabolize the sugars and carbs you eat. so it is not bad to take if you have problems with this. but if you don't watch what you eat and keep a steady, healthy weight loss diet of some sort with it, you're definitely not gonna get anywhere... it's not a drug that will just BAM make you lose weight. if it were, everyone would be on it, and that isn't the case. it's a medicine, not a miracle.

i am personally going to begin trying to watch what i eat more closely and be more aware... it's my pre-new year's resolution i'm also going to try to figure out how to work out, too. so i will DEFINITELY keep you (and everyone else) posted on how well this works for me.

so don't get freaked out. just make sure you give it time and patience. and yes, the acids/high-fats/nice greasy fried foods/sugars will definitely wreak havoc when taken with the metformin until your body gets used to it (or atleast that's how it's worked for me.)

goodluck! ((:
laurenbeast is offline   Reply With Quote