Old 11-30-2010, 09:12 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Default Looks like my foot/ankle surgery is a go for Thursday - food strategies.

It looks like my foot/ankle surgery is a go at this time - Thursday morning. I am working really hard on NOT having anything go wrong the next couple days and postpone it again.

I will be non-weight baring for 6-10 weeks. I have filled the freezer with 14 quart bags of soups, chillie, etc. DH will be fixing meals for me. He doesn't cook healthfully. I want to be able to think about my portions - I am not sure if he is willing to weigh and measure for me. I am not quite sure how to approach this with him. (I suppose just ask) Any ideas or strategies for this?

Also - I know many friends will proably sending in meals. I know this will be so challenging. I guess I can ask him to keep any goodies out of my sight.

I am going to use my food exchange plan - I think it will be easiest for this time.
My approach to food is shaky when I don't feel well or in pain. Any thoughts on this.

I've been doing some guided imagery, relaxation techniques to help me get through this.

One good thing...the literature from the surgeon says to eat lots of fruits, veggies, protein and whole grains. I think I'll have DH read this.

Also - I won't be able to weigh myself for a very long time.

Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 11-30-2010 at 09:22 AM.
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 09:24 AM   #2  
mj5

S/C/G: 299/see ticker/140

Height: 5'4''

Beverlyjoy--I am so glad you are finally able to get this surgery over with!!!! Shall we wrap you in bubble wrap between now and Thursday, just in case???

As for advice, definitely have your hubby read the literature from the surgeon. And ask, ask, ask him to do whatever you need him to do. Keep doing what you have been doing. Do your best. It will not be easy. We will be here to support.
mj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 09:32 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 242.5/193.4/170

Height: 5'9"

I'm not sure what kind of surgery you are having on your foot. A dear friend of mine at work had a slew of work done on her ankle. She's 65 years old, she was told non-weight bearing for 3 months, then only minimal weight bearing for another 3 months after that. The good news is she was able to recover much more quickly than her surgeon thought, and was able to start PT much sooner than he predicted.

She got a motorized chair from a friend, and a regular wheelchair. She walks from the wheelchair to her bed, bathroom, etc. with a cane. She lives alone so she gets help with her cleaning and cooking and shopping and other errands, and she knitted and crocheted and played computer games between naps, she said!

Anyway, all this to say, good luck to you. Do exactly what your doc tells you and you may surprise yourself with how quickly you recover.
goodforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 09:42 AM   #4  

Thanks MJ and Good4me - my surgery is on the posterior tibial tendon - they will cut it from the bone and sew/attach to tendon next to it. It's a bit scary - my surgeon said "You won't even be glad you did this for three months" At least he was honest.

I have a motorized scooter (from my aunt) a knee scooter, and a walker to help me get around as it heals.

I am hoping I can get into PT before 8 weeks.
Old 11-30-2010, 09:49 AM   #5  

S/C/G: high285/resrart276/ticker/140

Height: 5'3"

I'm so happy you are getting your ankle/foot fixed!!

I love the frozen meals for yourself idea.. I would probably try to put some more away before Thursday.. though I'm sure you have a million other things to be doing!

I'll be keeping you in my thoughts!!
findingfawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 11:48 AM   #6  
Diane

S/C/G: 294/258.0/180

Height: 5'6"

Good luck on your surgery! I hope it all goes well and you'll be on the mend soon.

(no advice from me, but wanted to give my support!)
Slashnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 05:16 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 260/259/200

Height: 5foot8

HI Beverlyjoy! I just went through a very similar experience (except that it was not planned: I had a complete ankle explosion, broken bones, torn ligaments and tendons etc...). Anyways, I was on the couch for 2 months because I couldn't even get up +2 more months non-weight bearing. So, I managed to not gain any weight, by eating MUCH less: I had lots of fibre and protein + I got an exercise band and worked out my upper body everyday (seeing as I had NOTHING else to do). ALso, keep busy: read, pick up a sedentary hobby if you don't already have one, anything to keep your mind off eating.
DedicateD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 08:41 PM   #8  
Tai

S/C/G: 272/111/Maintaining

Height: 5'4"

Best of luck with your surgery Beverlyjoy! I hope your recovery goes smoothly.
Tai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 10:11 PM   #9  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

Beverlyjoy, I am so glad that you have a date and can get this behind you. I will be praying for you. I vote for just asking hubby to weigh and measure.

Do the best that you can do with the food and don't stress over it. Let us know how it is going!
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 12:15 AM   #10  
Back at It!

S/C/G: 238/220/170

Height: 5'4 1/2

Best of luck BeverlyJoy! Getting your DH to cook for you is great! Frozen dinners, microwave meals, and lots of healthy foods and fluids is all I can think of. Vitamin C helps with recovery, and Vitamin B helps with stress. It can't hurt to take extra supplements to recover. My best friend broke her ankle in the worst place possible and had to have screws in her ankle. She was laid up for a few months, and was happy to be able to relax, spend time doing hobbies she put off for awhile, and spend time with loved ones.
Take care!
Jojo381972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 06:47 AM   #11  

Thanks, Everyone! Good ideas - I appreciate it.

My tummy is so nervous right now. I have horrible heartburn and nausea. It sounds silly - put in a few prayers for my stomach too, if you will.