Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 11-29-2010, 06:45 PM   #1  
This is the Last Time!!!

S/C/G: HW283/GW170

Height: 5'5"

Default Shiritake Noodles

Who eats these? Who hates them and why? Who loves them? What do you do with them? I have spaghetti and angel hair and not quite sure what to make with them. Suggestions?
HadEnough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 06:52 PM   #2  
Tiff

S/C/G: 322/ticker/175

Height: 5' 7"

i love these noodles, and they can replace any noodle dish you have. the trick is this:

rinse rinse rinse these noodles, don't even think about smelling them YET...after you have rinsed and re-rinsed, pat them dry with a paper towel, put them in a microwave safe bowl, and pop them in the microwave for 1 minute.......now they are ready to cook with.

i love mine best with soy sauce and sauteed veggies. but i've also made a killer spaghetti bake and used the wider noodles to make a mock beef stroganaff (spelling). i havent had any in a while .... hmmm think i have some in the fridge thanks think i'll have to have some
pipernoswiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 04:54 PM   #3  
small plates small bites

S/C/G: 187/135.9/135

Height: 5'6"

OH my lord endless possibilities. Stir into cream of mushroom soup. rinse, drain well and cover with 1 pat of butter, 1 wedge of laughing cow cheese and microwave, stir.
laughing cow cheese and frozen broccoli
mix in with frozen lowfat creamed spinach
mix with roasted vegetables and basalmic vinegar salad dressing for a cold salad
mix with lowfat thai peanut sauce and bean sprouts.
LOVE them!
TapasLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 03:58 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 244/234/135

Height: 5'6"

Do you mean shirataki noodles?
I like them anywhere else that I enjoy noodles, really. They also sub in well in dishes that I would normally use rice. In a brothy soup with vegetables, in a stirfry, in a tomato-based sauce, as the bed for some sort of marinated protein...
I haven't eaten them in a long time, though, but I do have a package in my fridge, I believe, so I think I know what I'll be having for dinner now.
Horo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 06:57 AM   #5  

I've heard a lot about these noodles, where do you guys buy them?
Kaspara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 02:33 PM   #6  
(slim) shady

S/C/G: 193/188/155

Height: 5'2"

I have never heard of these noodles!! Are they like udon noodles? I have some research to do. I love Asian flavor profiles so I must try these!
steinanwine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 04:26 PM   #7  

I just had them in a great vegetable soup made with turkey broth (from the Thanksgiving bird). Soup is my favorite medium for them though I also enjoy them in a stir fry- they allow me to omit rice and feel satisfied. I generally use the plain ones (clear) and only occasionally the ones that have tofu as a component. Asian markets are my go-to source; plus they have good turnover. I would not say these are used for taste or flavor, but more as a texture and a filler. And you can not beat the hyper low calorie count!
tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 04:57 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 185/ticker/125

Height: 5'4"

I just bought these today based on this thread - I hadn't heard of them before.

I checked online for some recommendations and decided to make an asian-style soup, which was extra awesome because it took about 10 minutes I used bouillon, some onions and ginger and added some shredded cabbage and the shirataki angel hair. A lot of recipes online used bean sprouts, bok choy, carrots, and some other stuff, but I went with what I had in the fridge and it turned out fine. The texture is sort of like the glass rice noodles you get at asian restaurants and picked up the flavor of the broth. I made sure to follow the instructions to rinse the noodles because the liquid they come in is a little smelly.

This was great, I'm going to buy these all the time from now on
cheryl126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 02:19 PM   #9  
Wrap dress addicted

S/C/G: 185/185/166

Height: 5'5 -- that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

I conditionally love them.

I have to make them in something where they're more of a filler, or else I won't eat them. I do love the Hungry Girl Turkey-Tastic Shirataki recipe, though:

1 pound raw extra-lean ground turkey (note: I have made this with meatless crumbles. I prefer the turkey, though DH loves the crumbles)
2 packages of shirataki noodles
One 8-ounce can sliced water chestnuts, drained
One 10.75 ounce can 98% fat-free cream of mushroom condensed soup
1 wedge The Laughing Cow Light Original Swiss cheese, room temperature
3 cups broccoli florets
1 cup fat-free chicken or vegetable broth (I used the lowest-sodium one)
1 cup shredded carrots
6 tablespoons fat-free sour cream
1/2 cup chopped scallions
2 tablespoons dry onion soup/dip seasoning mix
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon seasoned salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper

Rinse and drain shirataki noodles well. Dry noodles thoroughly, using paper towels to soak up as much moisture as possible. Use a knife or kitchen shears to slice them up a bit. Set aside.

To prepare sauce, combine mushroom soup with 1/4 cup water, cheese wedge, and sour cream, stirring until mixed thoroughly. Set aside.

Place turkey in a large bowl. Sprinkle with seasoned salt, black pepper, and garlic powder. Mix well to distribute spices.

In a small dish, combine onion seasoning mix with 1/2 cup water. Stir thoroughly.

Spray a large pan with nonstick spray and bring to medium heat. Add seasoned turkey and the onion seasoning mixture. Cook until liquid has been mostly absorbed and turkey is fully browned, about 15 minutes. Then transfer turkey to another bowl.

Remove pan from heat and re-spray with nonstick spray. Over medium heat, add noodles, broccoli, broth, carrots and water chestnuts. Stir until entire dish is hot.

Return turkey to the pan. Continue cooking, stirring frequently, until vegetables have softened, 7 to 8 minutes. Add scallions and sauce and stir. Continue to cook for 1 additional minute, or until sauce is evenly distributed and hot.

Serve each portion in a bowl and top with a tablespoon of sour cream.
NYGiantsGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 03:12 PM   #10  
Started IP: 4/4/2014

S/C/G: 154/See Ticker/125

Height: 5'0''

I've had them where they are more of the main ingrediant. I didn't care for them at all. My kids hated them.

I made two different dishes (because I didn't want to waste them). Yick. Just not my cup of tea.
Chrztina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 06:18 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 185/ticker/125

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrztina View Post
I've had them where they are more of the main ingrediant. I didn't care for them at all. My kids hated them.

I made two different dishes (because I didn't want to waste them). Yick. Just not my cup of tea.
Was it the texture or the taste (or both) that you didn't like? I've heard that if you don't rinse/boil them enough, they can still cling to that weird fishy smell/taste which would be pretty gross. I'm still not sure of the texture myself just because I ate the angel hair kind last night which is thin enough that you don't notice the texture as much even though it was a little odd, but tonight I'm making a stirfry with the much fatter fettuccine type, so we'll see how that goes. I'm anticipating that I might have to stick to the thin noodles.

Last edited by cheryl126; 01-07-2011 at 06:18 PM.
cheryl126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:12 PM   #12  
Started IP: 4/4/2014

S/C/G: 154/See Ticker/125

Height: 5'0''

It was the texture I think. I guess I was using them as a pasta substitute, and they just didn't statisfy my pasta craving. I really tried to mentally get into the portion size that you get for such little calories.

I stir fried one package with veggies and tofu the other I made a Hungry Girl recipe (can't remember which one).

I'd rather have a small portion of the Smart Choice pasta (purple box with added calcium and fiber) that these.
Chrztina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:27 PM   #13  

S/C/G: HW:200+/LW:120/CW:142

Height: 5'1 and a 1/2" (yes the 1/2" matters!)

I used tofu shiratake noodles for the first time a couple of nights ago. The jury's still out.

I used the Hungry Girl's alfredo recipe as a guide, but doctored it up - added some more spices, used 2% Greek yogurt instead of FF sour cream (can't STAND fat-free dairy) and added chicken and lots of veggies.

Pros:
- An absolutely enormous amount of food for minimal calories. I can see using these noodles as a standby whenever I need a good dinner but my calories for the day are running low.
- Pretty cheap, and can be mixed with lots of different things for differen meals.
- Prep was quick.

Cons:
- Prep was quick, but slightly annoying - rinse, drain, dry (I used a pan on med-high heat on my stove top, and moved the noodles around until the water was all gone). It felt like a lot of steps, but it's possible I'll get used to it once I prepare them more.
- Not much taste at all. I feel like real pasta has flavor, and this was bland. Maybe others think that's a good thing.
- Texture. It's not gross or anything, but it IS different from pasta, so that would take some getting used to.

Some have mentioned a smell before rinsing, but it's no worse than other fresh tofu products and didn't bother me at all.

As far as volume for calories, these can't be beat, so I'll definitely eat them again. At this point, though, I don't ever see me choosing these over actual pasta if I had room in my calorie budget.
JenMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:57 PM   #14  
Effort = Success

S/C/G: 212/126/120

Height: 5'5"

My mom just started the Atkins diet and she wants to try these noodles. I'll probably be trying them as well so I'll tell you how they turn out for me. :P

Initiative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 11:09 PM   #15  

I love these noodles. When I was doing low carb, they were a great help. The trick is to rinse them very well, then boil about a minute, and rise again, to remove the yucky fish smell. They will work on any food plan as they are low carb and super low calorie, too. They are yummy with Walden Farms zero calorie marinara or alfredo sauce.
feggie is offline   Reply With Quote