Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss Including discussions about excess skin and reconstructive surgery

Old 11-27-2010, 12:40 PM   #1  

S/C/G: HW:200+/LW:120/CW:142

Height: 5'1 and a 1/2" (yes the 1/2" matters!)

Default Bony AND flabby?

I'm confused.

My knees and hips are much more prominent (to me) now. I've had to adjust how I sleep so that my knees don't touch and my hip doesn't dig into the bed. On the back of my neck, I can feel individual vertebrae, and I can feel my ribs - not in a crazy way, of course, but especially when I'm laying down they seem like they're right there. For someone who's always been overweight/obese, these are startling changes, even as gradually as they happened.

At the same time, my belly is still large. I don't think this is a perception issue - I know I'm apple-shaped, but even so, when I'm sitting down I have a pooch both above and below my belly button.

Could some of that pooch be loose skin, or is it all fat? I feel kind of rdiculous for asking this, but how do I know if it's skin instead of fat? I have batwing arms, too, and can't tell how much is fat and how much is skin.

I've been exercising, including light (3-5 lbs) weights during my entire weight loss. I know there's still strength training to be done but I'm wondering if I'm still aiming for fat loss, or if it'll be a waiting game to see how much my skin firms up. I'm guessing it'll be some of both?
JenMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 01:04 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 229/220/170

Height: 6'0'

When I hit goal weight 4 years ago, I was "skinny flabby." I didn't exercise, just followed my food plan. I got down to 165 (I'm really tall!) and my DH hated how I looked, and so did I. I was in a healthy weight range, but I looked sickly with no muscle. This time, I did cardio and weight training and there is a huge difference. I am currently 170 and look much healthier. I plan on going down to 165 and my DH thinks it should be fine. In his words, I look healthy and fit, not scrawny.
I think strength training would make a huge difference, not just in looks but also in how you feel. Good luck!
chickybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 04:49 PM   #3  

Location: On Planet Earth...I'm waiting for the Oxygen levels to go up on the other planet's before I move

S/C/G: 250/125/120

Height: 5'3"

I have the bat arm problem too girl but I've noticed since I've increased my weight training my arms have improved a lot. I use to be really heavy though so I knew it would take a while and even though I'm young my skin still saggs a little. Just keep going for it and start working on the weights...you're practically on the home run stretch congrats
WinterJinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 06:02 PM   #4  
Senior Curmudgeon

S/C/G: 162/134/125

Height: 5'2"

JenMusic, I am the same height you are (I just round up on my profile), and currently weigh 127 ish. I STILL have a slightly poochy belly, but it is WAY better than it was just 7-8 pounds ago. I'm pretty sure that for most women, the last places for fat to stick are the upper thighs and the belly. And unlike when you're heavier, and lost weight comes from everywhere, when you're getting down below 25% bodyfat, it selectively comes from the places where you have stored the most. So, don't lose heart and keep on going.
neurodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 01:08 PM   #5  

S/C/G: HW:200+/LW:120/CW:142

Height: 5'1 and a 1/2" (yes the 1/2" matters!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by neurodoc View Post
JenMusic, I am the same height you are (I just round up on my profile), and currently weigh 127 ish. I STILL have a slightly poochy belly, but it is WAY better than it was just 7-8 pounds ago. I'm pretty sure that for most women, the last places for fat to stick are the upper thighs and the belly. And unlike when you're heavier, and lost weight comes from everywhere, when you're getting down below 25% bodyfat, it selectively comes from the places where you have stored the most. So, don't lose heart and keep on going.
This may be the best news I've heard in a loooooooong time. Thanks for giving me some hope!
JenMusic is offline   Reply With Quote