Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss Including discussions about excess skin and reconstructive surgery

Old 11-23-2010, 09:23 AM   #1  
Calorie Counter

S/C/G: 197/ticker/136

Height: 1.65m

Default When did you treat yourself to new nice clothes?

I'm tempted to hold out till goal before I buy myself anything nice, but I'm also thinking a reward would be nice. My favourite reward would be underwear so it's not like I can sell it or give it away (except maybe to very close family, but they are all bigger than me) when I have got too small for it, and don't want to invest in something I like and have to chuck it out (I'm not keeping my fat clothes cos I'll grow to fit back into them). Not interested in purses, shoes, jewellery... did you buy yourself a treat when you were part way there, and then what did you do with it as you got too small? It seems as though I've only lost a small amount of weight but I seem to have lost far more in inches, particularly on the bottom half. Plus I've worn my clothes way too big for years.

Last edited by RoseRodent; 11-23-2010 at 09:24 AM.
RoseRodent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 09:36 AM   #2  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

This last 15lbs, I've been treating myself to random purchases from the local charity shop. In fact, so much so that I've had to padlock my purse!

As ongoing treats, I've been buying myself beads for a Trollbead bracelet, 1 for each stone.
I've got a 50lb marker coming up soon - just starting to wonder about treating myself again.....
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 10:02 AM   #3  
TEAM CUPID & BL BLUE TEAM

S/C/G: 306/see ticker/153

Height: 5'3

I bought a couple shirts at Old Navy on the marked way down clearance. lol I really want to buy some nice clothes, sicne I always wore tents before, and want to look like I've lost nearly 50 lbs. LOL BUT I don't want to be able to wear those clothes long, so I didn't get many. I keep resisting the urge to buy more. For the first time in a long time, I want to wear NICE clothes...
JackieHollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 09:05 PM   #4  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

I am holding off on buying anything super nice until goal. Trouble is now that I don't know what goal is and I am wearing out the few items that do fit. I tell myself that a full-out shopping spree will be the ultimate reward for my weight loss but I'm getting lazy.

This is hard!
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 11:36 AM   #5  
Yay for 2nd chances!

S/C/G: 235/needs a new scale/135

Height: 5'7"

I don't spend alot but every time I make it into a new size I buy one or two nice casual outfits. I shop sales and clearance racks. For me it's worth it. I get to see progress and I get to see that it hasn't been for nothing. I got lazy and stopped the diet for a while and have been in a 12 for about 6 months so I have a little more in that size than I did in the 14's and 16's. I'm hopeing to be comfortably in 10s by March.
Aiesline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 11:47 AM   #6  
Reducing

S/C/G: 161.4/143.0/130.0

Height: 5'3"

After I lost the first 10 lbs I started treating myself to an item or two of new lingerie every 5 lbs. It's been a pretty good system because a) it's fun, and b) I feel like bras are one of the few items of clothings (along with shoes I guess?) that are really hard to wear if they don't fit right.

But I am definitely a fan of treats along the way. Having things that fit can make a big difference in how you percieve your body.
Ms GenghisCohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 04:59 AM   #7  
Lani Loves Lettuce!

S/C/G: 381/361/351

when i lost weight last time i'd buy all of my in between clothes at charity stores, that way I had nice new clothes to look forward to once I reached goal
Focused Lani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 07:16 AM   #8  
Calorie Counter

S/C/G: 197/ticker/136

Height: 1.65m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focused Lani View Post
when i lost weight last time i'd buy all of my in between clothes at charity stores, that way I had nice new clothes to look forward to once I reached goal
I certainly used to do this, but the problem I've had in recent years is that supermarkets can sell an £8 pair of pants. Charity shops do not resell £8 pairs of pants for £1-2, they do other things with them and they put all the £40 pants into the charity shops for £8. Saves a lot of money off £40 if you ever wanted some £40 pants, but I don't, I want some really cheap pants! Gone are the days you could come out of the charity shop with 7 garments for £10. Strangely enough, all the charity shops in this city are located in the richest areas. Poorer people will not buy second hand, it is culturally just not done, so people do it to "do their bit" rather than to get cheap stuff. They give expensive stuff and they expect to buy expensive stuff. It's a total pain.
RoseRodent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 07:39 AM   #9  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

I went from a size 24 down to a 6, so lots of changes along the way. Everything I bought except for new underwear came from thrift or consignment stores or from really great sales ($3/item). I stalled at 18 for a few years so had a full wardrobe. When I restarted I bought a lot of 14s because I thought that was my goal. Then a lot of 10s because I'd never been smaller than that. Other sizes I just bought a few pieces. I only replaced shirts a couple of times because they were more flexible but super baggy in the butt pants drove me crazy. I'd have been more conservative without the consignment stores where I made money on big clothes to put toward smaller sizes and super cheap thrift stores.
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 06:52 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 132/116.6/114

Height: 5'2"

I've been on somewhat of a restricted budget lately so I'm not planning on buying clothes for a while.

The only things on my wish list are true skinny jeans & long boots (you know, the ones that cover the calf) but my calves are chunky (like, just muscly really, always have been) so I may have to rethink that.
Precious Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 10:20 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 287/175/180

Height: 5'9"

I've bought a lot of clothes between size 24 and size 8. Thank goodness for Marshalls and TJMaxx.

Just recently started spending more- but I try to choose things that will still fit if I lose a few more lbs. I would think underwear would be one of those things.
k8yk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 03:01 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 220/157.0/137

Height: 5'2''

I buy a lot of clothes from the thrift store and clearance... It seems too the more weight I lose the better clothes I'm finding there. I dream about being in the size 10 and below so when that happens watch out because my closet is going to be packed with fancy clothes. I probably won't even want to wear jeans anymore.
liliesinmycereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 07:28 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 210/155/140

Height: 5'6" Age (50)

I love to shop the clearance racks at Marshalls, Ross, Kohls for smaller clothes. Going from a tight size 18 to a 6/8 I have had to completely replace my wardrobe. I work in a corporate office so I basically have black pants with pretty tops. As I was loosing, I would only purchase one or two pairs of pants knowing that they were not going to fit for long. I just bought four summer tops for work at Kohls that were on the clearance rack for $10 each, plus a 15%-20% coupon makes for a great deal. You don't have to spend a lot of money to look good.

When I was heaver, I was constantly wearing loose clothing for comfort and cover. Now I wear things a little tighter and don't feel I have to cover every bump and rumple.

My dream is a pair of white slacks. Not quite there yet, but soon!!!
MiniMeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 02:27 PM   #14  
Started Precon 6/29/11

S/C/G: 227/see ticker/145

Height: 5'8"

I always bought new clothes on the way down. However, I bought them cheaply-- clearance racks, mostly at Old Navy. Tops are more forgiving and last for a couple of sizes, but jeans/pants really make a difference. If you look at places like Old Navy or Target, you can get cheap bottoms, too. I only buy one pair of jeans in a size unless I get stalled there for a while.

I was at my goal before I had a baby, and I waited until then to buy anything expensive, because of course, I didn't want to shrink out of it.

Cheap clothes that fit right look way better than expensive ones that are too big on you. Feeling that you look nice really helps with motivation.
tkdtara84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 04:49 PM   #15  
Nutella Girl

S/C/G: 197 / 135 / 140

Height: 5'5''

I started last fall when I hit 150 lbs but I kept the buying to a minimum since I figured I'd lose more. A few months ago, I started buying more but now I'm starting to want to lose more weight so I've stopped myself
It's crazy how much money you can spend on clothes once you hit a normal weight. Most things look really good on you.
imperialistic is offline   Reply With Quote