Old 11-17-2010, 11:22 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 197/ticker/115

Height: 4'10"

Default What is your fat?

So, today, I sat down, boxed up and took all my size 10s to the church thrift store. Getting rid of my 10s? really? My 8s are all into the absolutely comfortable range, with a few being loosish, and the 6s I have waiting in the wings can all be put on, but..well, let's say I wouldnt quite want to wear them in public yet.
Anyway, boxing up the 10s put me in a food wondering mode, and I just wanted to ask everyone what your fat is?
Mine is not really dessert fat. I mean, I was not averse to chocolate and sweet stuff, but most of my fat was just good wholesome food, just a whole lot of it. I was very fond of baked and broiled chicken, but having an 8 oz portion of it certainly didnt make it better for me. Cheese is absolutely healthy and good for you, but tossing 3/4 of a cup onto something kinda overrides the wholesomeness of it. Homemade whole wheat bread is great for you, but having 3 thick slices slathered in butter kinda ruins the health benefits. So yeah, most of my fat was just good food, but too much of it. With a few pounds thrown in on the salty/crispy and chocolate/gooey side.
How about you?
TornadoSiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 11:51 AM   #2  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Yeah, I didn't understand about portions. I thought I did...but I didn't. The biggest eye opener for me was that a portion of chicken is HALF a breast. I swear just knowing that has changed my life! Sure, chicken is a healthy protein. But in its proper portion.

Portions were my problem with everything. Get your five fruits and vegetables? Ok, but that sounds really hard when you think a portion is a salad. LOL! Five salads a day? Ok. With dressing and croutons and nuts and other crunchies?

My indulgence is still chocolate. I do not moderate chocolate well!

Last edited by Eliana; 11-17-2010 at 02:09 PM.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 12:00 PM   #3  
No more +sizes

Height: 5'4"

Potato Chips, Cheetoes, Ice Cream and bad portion control. Oh and let me not forget that devil of going back for another serving. If it tasted good to me I would keep eating until it was gone. I'm so glad I've been freed from that habit.

Last edited by jigglefree; 11-17-2010 at 12:02 PM.
jigglefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 12:12 PM   #4  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Mine was 100% fast food and junk/processed sweets fat.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 12:38 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 242.5/193.4/170

Height: 5'9"

Most of my fat is from soda, and snacks from the vending machine. Not real food at all. Then, a small amount of my fat is from having bottomless-pit hunger most of the time, and not knowing what a portion looked like. Have you ever eaten a half a cup of ice cream? It looks so forlorn down in the bottom of that big bowl! And last, a tiny bit of my fat is from eating the wrong combinations of carbs and fats for so many years, when my body isn't designed to handle carbs like normal people's bodies do.

Let's just say I didn't get fat eating baked chicken and too many carrots!
goodforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 01:36 PM   #6  

Height: 5'4''

Ice cream and other frozen treats. I could eat normally all day then eat a half gallon of ice cream. I also never realized thin people don't eat in the proportions I used to. It's weird I was fatter than all my friends but I always thought I ate normal.
popspry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 01:53 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by popspry View Post
Ice cream and other frozen treats. I could eat normally all day then eat a half gallon of ice cream. I also never realized thin people don't eat in the proportions I used to. It's weird I was fatter than all my friends but I always thought I ate normal.
I think many of us thought the same thing. A lady who lives across from me the other day (not a friend, just a nodding acquaintance) came up to me on halloween night and asked me about my weight loss. She is a large woman, and she said to me "ya know, I really don't eat very much, but my problem is that because of my schedule I eat at 3 or 4 in the morning, and you know that makes you gain weight." errrr.. Lord..how can you be diplomatic here? I ended up telling her that if she was really wanting to get healthier, to start with a food diary so she could see where she is at calorie intake wise, and go from there. I didnt even tackle the "I cant lose weight cause I have to eat at night" myth. I know the number of calories I actually consumed in a single day shocked me, when I actually sat down to figure it out.
Old 11-17-2010, 02:11 PM   #8  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodforme View Post
Most of my fat is from soda, and snacks from the vending machine. Not real food at all. Then, a small amount of my fat is from having bottomless-pit hunger most of the time, and not knowing what a portion looked like. Have you ever eaten a half a cup of ice cream? It looks so forlorn down in the bottom of that big bowl! And last, a tiny bit of my fat is from eating the wrong combinations of carbs and fats for so many years, when my body isn't designed to handle carbs like normal people's bodies do.

Let's just say I didn't get fat eating baked chicken and too many carrots!
Right! See, I'd read "250" calories on the back of an ice cream container and think, great! That's not so bad. I'd proceed to serve myself a cup or two. That's four servings! 1000 IS bad! How can one be intelligent, as I claim to be , and yet take such a long time to figure this out?

Last edited by Eliana; 11-17-2010 at 04:22 PM.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 02:20 PM   #9  
Calorie Countin' Fool

S/C/G: 274/ticker/150 for now/137?

Height: 5'6"

I too, always wondered why I was so fat since I "really didn't eat that much!"

My fat? Where to I start. No portion control, going back for seconds, eating until I was stuffed just because the food was "there." Way too much junk (chips, candy, etc.), mindless snacking, especially at night. Too much fast food. Virtually no exercise. And I wondered why I was fat! It seems so funny now.
NorthernExposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 02:24 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodforme View Post
Have you ever eaten a half a cup of ice cream? It looks so forlorn down in the bottom of that big bowl!
can't stop giggling at the poor forlorn scoop of ice cream. With me, it was that poor forlorn leftover pork chop.
Old 11-17-2010, 02:28 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 242.5/193.4/170

Height: 5'9"

I used to ask myself all the time ALL. THE. TIME. how I could be so fat when I hardly ate anything! LOL Then when I decided to calorie count I started to write down everything I normally ate for a week.

Skip breakfast most days so I had a snack from the vending machine around 9

Lunch out at McD's or BK consisting of the sandwich, fries, full sugar soda, super sized please

Hungry as a hostage by 3 so back to the vending machine again, a 12 ounce full sugar soda too, please!

Gnawing on my upholstery on the way home, so usually made some pre-packaged, microwavable meal for me and the family because it was quick

Don't forget after dinner snacking. . .

I was logging in 5000 calories per day, EASY, sometimes more if I decided to stop for fast food breakfast on the way to work.

But fat-unhealthy me could rationalize two meals and three snacks per day as "not too much" never knowing that lunch calories were enough for some people's WHOLE DAY!

I'm glad I finally got smart. . .er!
goodforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 03:22 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 240/ticker/140

Mine was totally portions too and eating out. I have gained 70 lbs since meeting my husband all because we ate out together nearly EVERY night for the first almost year we were together and when we ate in he would want to make like 2 boxes of mac and cheese or something bc he was used to eating one all on his own so i slowly started eating his portions and he was over 400lbs!

But even before that i would have problems if I bought things that weren't portion controlled for me (like frozen dinners) If i bought ice cream or cookies i couldn't stop at just 2 or whatever the serving size was. Then again living with my hubby I felt i had to eat what i wanted right away for fear i wouldnt get any because he would eat it all. (which happened often) With him on a diet too its been very helpful to me. Because I can eat less and he's eating less. I still can't have things like a gallon of ice cream in the house though because I *will* eat it in 1 or 2 sittings max. lol
ElizabethG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 03:35 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 267.8/211/150

Height: 5'2"

The more processed, the better. Chips of all kinds, french fries, burgers, cakes, cookies, chocolate, candy, cheese (massive amounts of cheese), Mexican food, pizza.
Bac0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 03:55 PM   #14  
Funsized Fiesta

S/C/G: 230/144.5/130

Portions, eating out, and those "little" nibbles. I never knew a serving of pasta was only about a 1/2 c dry! I used to be able to down half the box haha, or a whole plate at the Olive Garden, plus salad and breadsticks. Oh, and I totally bought into the whole "if it's salad, it's healthy" thing, and I ate caesar salads, taco salads, and salads from fast food places all the time.

Some days I'd never really eat real meals, I was just snacking all day, so I'd think I really wasn't eating that much, when in reality I was consuming far too many calories from salty and sweet snacks, just not in quantities that actually made me feel full, so I'd go back for more.

Aaand, the last 15-20lbs of my fat are from going vegetarian, mistakenly believing that cutting out meat would help me lose weight! But I didn't know then how to get protein from plant sources, so I just ate a lot of carbs since I felt hungry all the time, and that didn't work out too well.
KenzideRhae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 03:57 PM   #15  
Running for my life

S/C/G: 240/140

Height: 5'6"

I had the world's worst eating habits. Hands down, WORST. I would eat chocolate croissants for breakfast or those frozen toaster pastries, never 1, but 2, and a huge glass of milk.

I drank mountain dew all day long, never water. For lunch I would eat ramen noodles, always 2 packages, slathered in whatever tasted good that day. (Usually butter or catalina, or God forbid, both).

I could easily eat a half bag of those snack-size candy bars throughout the day. Usually dinner was fast food or a steak and some garlic bread. I am not even joking. This is the way I ate, almost every single day. When I thought I was getting serious, I would eat salads loaded with cheese, croutons, hi-fat dressing, pepperoni, etc.

I also didn't think I was eating very much and couldn't understand why I was so heavy. It seems downright comical and very sad all at the same time when I see this in print.
milmin2043 is offline   Reply With Quote