PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Closed Thread

Old 11-08-2002, 10:28 AM   #1  

Question What diets were you successful with PCOS

I have had PCOS for about 5 years now and just until recently did not know that it affected my insulin level. I am curious to know if anyone out there has successfully lost weight with PCOS and could share how they lost it. I have tried a few plans only to plateau after about 20 pounds and go no further - then frustrated I would give up. Any advice would be much appreciated.
Old 11-08-2002, 04:37 PM   #2  
PCOS Educator (non prof)

A diabetic type 2 diet plan is best for PCOSers. I suggest you visit your local diabetes center to get more information on this. You can get a bunch of links as well by viewing my Journal.

I have not tried to lose weight so cant help you there. Sorry! GL!
Old 11-09-2002, 10:19 AM   #3  
WW Moderator

So far the only way I have been able to lose weight was with a low carb diet. I don't go ultra low carb, but I do reduce carbs, and the only carbs I eat are low glycemic. I initially lost on WW myself, but then hit a plateau for several months. You might want to check into Sugar Busters, as well. My sister is diabetic and the plan her dietician is similar to the SB plan.

HS, you haven't tried to lose weight? That is suprising since you are on a weight loss board and always giving advice.
Old 11-09-2002, 10:37 AM   #4  
PCOS Educator (non prof)

Sure, I alter my diet to make me feel better, help my heart and to help the PCOS, but no, I dont try to lose weight, if it comes off, then great, if not, ok. Im perfectly happy at the size I am at. I may be fat, but I am healthy, fit and active.
Old 11-13-2002, 11:07 AM   #5  

Since April, I have lost 20 pounds. It comes off slowly but it DOES come off. You just have to be very patient. Like, HS, I am perfectly happy at the size I am right now. But, I started working out and eating right as a way to help my body run at it's most efficient state. I realized that I had lost touch with my body and it was paying me back with fatigue and all sorts of goodies for the years I had neglected and abused it.

I eat a sensible diet and try to keep it around 2000 calories a day and under 70 fat grams (for my size, 252 lbs--- this is about the amount I need). I am a vegetarian and have been for 7 years. I try to eat 6 small meals a day. I do eat carbs, but I balance them with healthy doses of protein. Basically, I try to arrange my plate the way my Mom did, at least two veggies and a main dish. I try to keep my plates colorful and exciting by using different types of veggies. I still eat unhealthy food (last night I had pizza) but I stop when I am full and eat plenty of fiber and healthy foods which makes me less hungry for the high-fat foods I love.

This is a lifestyle change--and that how I have approached it. I find that if I don't deny myself food, there is nothing to QUIT DOING later when I get frustrated at the slow weight loss. In other words, If I were on a low carb diet and spent most of my days denying myself bread, the second I got frustrated, I would probably eat an entire garlic loaf and go right back to eating the old way I always did.

I never deny myself a craving. If I want a cookie or some ice cream, I eat it--full fat and all. But I don't eat an entire bag of oreos like I might have done before. I also try to stick to a "serving size" portion. (But if I want more, I eat it). If you give yourself what you want, you will be less likely to withhold and gorge later.

I also write down everything I eat in a book so that I am accountable for my food. I am less likely to eat 6 slices of pizza when I know I have to write them all down.

I also work out. But I don't go crazy with it. Moderate workouts several times a week are fine. I don't beat myself if I miss a few workouts. I usually do 30 mins on treadmill and two sets of 10 reps on the weight circuit 3 times a week. If I can't get to the gym, I just try to be more active at home or try to find fun weekend activities that involve movement.

Last week, I went rollerskating at a rink with my friends. Now, we are all WAY too old to be hanging around at the skating rink with a bunch of Tweens on a Saturday night. But we ended up havin a blast and making new friends. It was fun and good for our bodies.

What really facilitated the change for me was that I stopped telling myself that I was fat and lazy and started telling myself that I was "sporty" instead.

I tried to remember when I was 6 and played soccer and loved every minute of it. This helped me to get in touch with my Inner Athlete and now I think of myself this way instead of as the Cake-Eating-TV-Watcher that I had been telling myself I was before..
Old 11-14-2002, 09:05 PM   #6  
resident lactivist

I'm losing pretty well on the classic high-fiber, low fat diet. But I try to eat like I am diabetic. I'm cutting out sugar & refined carbs as best I can. I did try a low carb diet, but it made me mean. So right now I'm concentrating on portion control. I'll get my 4 oz meat and then load up the rest of the plate with non-starchy veggies.

But you have to find something that works for you. And that's the trick. Something different works for every woman, even with PCOS. Low-carb, from what I gather, is the surest bet to help you lose weight, but it's not practical for all women (and I do have concerns about my long-term health on, say, Atkins). You need to find a way to eat, rather than a diet.

Also, for me, I have found that exercise is the defining factor. On little or no exercise, I was losing a pound a week. Last week I got in 3 walks (3.5 miles each, which is child's play for me), and lost 3 pounds.
Old 11-17-2002, 10:27 PM   #7  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

Ive been doing low carb on and off for over 2 yrs.....it initially took off over 100lbs. After working at an extremely stressful job, i gained 40 of it back.

Im back on lowcarb, and have started to loose again, and I feel wonderful. It is the only thing that has worked for me. Ive tried other diets, and have gained weight at the end of the week. So, I now stay with low carb.

You have to do what works for you. Not everyone is the same.

Good luck to you
Robin
Old 11-27-2002, 04:24 PM   #8  

Default Diet

When I was diagnoised in 1998 my endocrinologist put me on Phenteramine and I did the weight watchers program. All my weight came off. I gained it back over time due to not changing my lifestyle and now am on weight watchers again. I have lost 22 pounds over last 4 months or so. It is coming off slowly, but it is coming off. I have nothing but good things to say about the weight watchers program.
Old 12-18-2002, 09:18 AM   #9  

I have lost 20 pounds so far Since September 15. I haven't journaled (WW) in about three or four weeks, but I exercise a lot (80 minutes of cardio at least 5 days a week).

CD

PS- and I'm REGULAR now!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-19-2002, 07:25 AM   #10  
PCOS Educator (non prof)

CD: Have you discussed your exercise regiment with your doctor?

Several concerns: The amount of time, the amount of days.

My mom exercises an hour a day. Her doctor has tried to get her to slow down because it puts wear and tear on the body. This is the case with cardiovascular exercises. Another thing is, and it was confirmed on a nother board I visit, that it can mess up ovulation and menses after a while. Look at all the runner athlete women. It is highly known that they have problems because they are too active. When I say it was confirmed, an IF patient said her doctor ask that she stop CV exercises while ttc because it messes things up. An option would be to do CV an hour 3 times a week and add weightlifting or tention exercises (swimming, yoga, elastics) on other days. Tention exercises do not cause havac on the systems like CV can.

I only say this because I see my mother wearing her body out(shes 48 but very "young" and has been exercising like this for years and years. She has had health problems from exercising too much over the years and she wont listen to her doctor because she "knows more" then she does.) and I dont want to see you end up like that. It can affect your systems and IF as well. Remember, too much of a good thing is damaging.

Please talk to a Cardiologist or even a trainer and your doctor. I am deeply concerned for you.
Old 12-19-2002, 08:32 AM   #11  

Hopeful:

Thanks for your concern! So far I've seen good results (I'm not tired so much, regularity and of course regular weight loss, about a pound or two a week) so I will continue my regimen until my next Dr. appt which is the first week of February. I'll talk with doc then.

CD
Closed Thread