Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 11-15-2010, 04:35 PM   #1  
No description available.

Default Can we talk turkey?

So, it's that time of year again. When I start to wonder, when do I buy the turkey? Start to defrost it? Do I want to brine it or not? Slow roast or quicker higher heat (which I did last year and it turned out really good!).

I think I'll get a fresh brined turkey from Trader Joe's this year and put quartered citrus fruit, onions, and herbs in the cavity.

How about ya'll?
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 05:18 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 191/Ticker/140

Height: 5'3" Age 51

Well, on the actual Thanksgiving Day, we will probably go to fiance's brother' and brother's wife's house since fiance's mother lives there and is pretty much housebound. I am going to offer to make the turkey if she (brother's wife) will let me, but she'll probably want to do it herself.

I am planning to make at least a small turkey or turkey breast just for us on Friday or Saturday of that weekend w/ our favorite fixins. I really would like to find a smoked one...love that flavor.

Last edited by AnnieDrews; 11-15-2010 at 05:19 PM.
AnnieDrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 02:47 PM   #3  

Honestly- I buy the El Cheapo from the grocery store (Safeway $7 this year I think I saw today). I give it at least 4 days to thaw in my fridge (runs cold). I then dry it, season inside & out (seasoning inside makes a big diff), and do add citrus, garlic, onion, and fresh garden herbs to the cavity. It always comes out well.

After the meal I remove meat from the carcass for doggie bags and also package in useable portions for myself in zip bags (into the freezer). The bony carcass then goes immediately into the crock pot overnight, strained, cooled overnite to let any fat congeal, de-fatted and packed into containers for lovely future soups. Depending on the size of the turkey I may have bones that did not fit into crockpot so they get frozen for future batches of stock. The bagged bits of meat plus the stock containers just need to be simmered with loads of veggies for delicious and satisfying turkey soup lunches or dinners.

What a deal!

Last edited by tommy; 11-16-2010 at 02:48 PM.
tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 02:50 PM   #4  
No description available.

One year my BIL smoked a turkey. It was so good.

Tommy, as I read that, I thought, "Why don't I roast a turkey more often than just once or twice a year?"
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 02:50 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 302/ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

I definitely brine it! It makes SUCH a difference in the moisture level of your cooked bird.
fitkristi is offline   Reply With Quote