Closed Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 04:20 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 266/264/150

Height: 5'5"

Default Sides of lower legs hurt when walking

Hi everyone! Hope you are all doing well!
I have this problem when I am walking, any pace, and after a few minutes the sides of calves start to hurt. Kind of like a burning, stinging pain. Then if I stop it will go away, but start back up again after walking. At first it was just in my right calf, but now it's in both calves. Do/Have any of you experienced this? If so, what was it, and how did you get it better? I want to be able to start walking every day, but I won't be able to get far if this keeps happening!
Thanks everyone
Old 11-10-2010, 04:34 PM   #2  
Token rooster

Height: 6'2

Is this something new but you have done walking before without pain? If you are just now starting a walking routine it is just your body adjusting to the activity. When I first started walking I had very similar aches and pains. You just do a bit more each time and you will get stronger and able to go further.

If you have been walking for a while without pain and this is something totally new, I'd give it a day or two of rest and do lots of stretching and drink plenty of water. If it gets much worse, you might have to get it checked out.
Old 11-10-2010, 04:37 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 266/264/150

Height: 5'5"

I've had the pain on my right leg for quite some time now, I'd say maybe a year or so. But now the left leg is doing it.
I haven't started a walking routine yet because of the pain that starts only after a few minutes, but I do want to start a routine, so that's one reason why I ask.
Old 11-10-2010, 04:47 PM   #4  
OMW to a brand new me!

S/C/G: 312/seeticker/135

Height: 5'1"

Mine does that too, always has. I have found that if I stretch really well first that helps. Also it helped that I got a pair of Shape Ups. They are a bit on the pricey side, but WELL worth it.
Old 11-10-2010, 04:56 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 226/220/170

Height: 5'4

Red face

I had that same pain in my calves, i was told it is because i dont stretch but even then it continues. I changed from walking to running up bleachers and i did not experience the pain. My suggestion would be stretch for a while along with good shoes. If it continues maybe just use exercise machines instead. Hope it works for you.
Old 11-10-2010, 06:06 PM   #6  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

You may not have good enough shoes also- if you are barefoot do your feet hurt while walking? If the answer is no I'd say your shoes are a likely culprit.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:16 PM   #7  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

my first thought was lactic acid build up
I saw this site, which is talks about muscle soreness and how to treat it
http://www.active.com/mountainbiking...day_s_ride.htm

In any event, I did experience that, and it did go away as I walked more and got into better shape.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:15 PM   #8  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

I'd say get good shoes if you don't have them. If you have good shoes already, consider changing the brand or the style.

I wouldn't recommend the Shape Ups or shoes like them--just go with some athletic-type shoes that are supportive for your feet.

Long walks in the wrong shoes--even short walks--can cause pain in lots of places.

Jay
Old 11-11-2010, 01:27 AM   #9  
Out is Through

This happened to me when I walked a lot in Etnies and Converse.. definitely not good shoes to work or walk around the neighborhood in

I purchased my first pair of Asics last year and they're beyond incredible. I walk all over campus four days a week, I use them on the treadmill at the gym.. I haven't had any foot or leg pain since I switched to a good shoe. I would recommend getting fitted for shoes at a specialized store; we have "Jack Rabbit Sports" in Brooklyn and Manhattan, not too sure what is near you. My sister was fitted by them taking a video of her walking and running on a treadmill and analyzing her gait/pronation. There are also Dr. Scholl's Orthotic stations at CVS now where they analyze your arches and pressure points. I got a pair tonight and they're a little pricey; I felt a difference as soon as I put them in my shoes, but I'll let you know how they are in about a week.

All in all..a good pair of sneakers are definitely worth the investment

Last edited by Creeech; 11-11-2010 at 01:38 AM.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:44 AM   #10  

S/C/G: high285/resrart276/ticker/140

I had this happen when I started exercising.. I started out with Zumba dvds and thought for sure it was just from them, then I bumped back down to my old Walk Away the Pounds and they still hurt a bit.. BUT WAY LESS than they did with the Zumba. Each day it's a little less, so I am now 100% convinced it is simply the stress from my weight on my bones and my muscles that weren't used to doing anything but bumming around the house and going to the grocery store every other week.

I guess I should add, I don't have the pain just walking like if I'm shopping, but if I am exerting myself then it's a different story... but really in 2 weeks it has deminished a lot.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:25 PM   #11  
Taking care of me.

I had something similar on the front of my legs when I was walking on the treadmill. My trainer called them shin splints. I went to a store for runners and they did the analyzing gait/pronation thing and fitted me with a pair of New Balance shoes. No more shin splints.
Old 11-12-2010, 12:51 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 295/tkr/195

Height: 5'9"

I get some pain exactly where you describe, in the sides of my calves, if I walk a looooong ways. I agree with everyone about getting good shoes. Also, I find the pain is worse with street walking vs. treadmill walking. I think some of it is due to uneven ground surfaces for me. Especially when I walk on the side of the street that has no sidewalk -- in my area, the streets slope down some to help with drainage. I try to walk on sidewalks or in the middle of the road (that's safe in my suburban neighborhood, but not always recommended!)
Old 06-14-2012, 10:21 AM   #13  

Default reply to: pain in the lower leg while walking

Hi, you may wanna take a look at this

go to youtube and type: "my legs hurt when i walk"
there is a video there by SVSchannel

check it out, might give us all more insight
Old 06-14-2012, 03:47 PM   #14  
Optimistic cynic

S/C/G: 220/209/180

Ditto on the Asics - I love mine.
Old 06-14-2012, 05:21 PM   #15  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

I have very "sensitive" IT bands.

"The iliotibial band (ITB) is a tendonous and fascial band that originates on the iliac crest (hipbone). It also attaches to the gluteal muscles (your rump) and the tensor fascia latae (TFL). The TFL is the muscle on the outside of your hip that moves your leg outward. As the ITB travels toward the knee, it narrows and attaches to the outside of the tibial plateau (the top of your lower leg bone) with fibers also extending over to the patella."

The symptoms that present for me are a tight, uncomfortable, stingy feeling on the outside of my knee and down my calf. This especially happens to me after (and during) a vigorous spin class. I try to ice my IT bands afterwards and take an anti-inflammatory (like ibuprofen). I also sleep with a pillow between my legs.
Closed Thread