Old 11-09-2010, 09:47 AM   #1  
Token rooster

Height: 6'2

Default non-scale indicators of progress

The last couple of months the scale has decided to stop going down. I wish the scale would have told me about this decision. Its really SLOOOOW going. We all know that weight on the scale does not indicate fat loss and all kinds of other things can keep the scale frozen (and even moving slightly in the wrong direction).

Generally, I'm a fairly patient person, but seeing a number only a few pounds different from nearly 2.5 months ago gets a bit discouraging.

So, I decided to try on my skinny jeans last night. These are ridiculousy small jeans that I bought on accident. I didn't realize they were skinny jeans and did not try them on before buying them. When I first tried them on, I couldn't even get my leg into them because my legs were too wide . Anyway, last night I not only was able to get my legs in them, but I could nearly get them up to my thighs. One of these days I might actually get them past my butt . Who knows, miracle of miracles I might be able to button them up one day.

I also took some measurements and my waist is down 1 inch since I last measured it and my body fat percentage is down to 12.9% (it was 13.9% last month).

So when you get a bit discouraged about the scale not moving, I'd encourage you to find some other metric of progress. A stuck scale does not mean stuck progress!

Anybody else been using some non-scale measures of progress?

Last edited by matt_H; 11-09-2010 at 09:53 AM.
matt_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 09:50 AM   #2  
If you wanna Rock It . .

S/C/G: 248/164*low*/145

Height: 5'4"

I've been looking back on my stats from first starting out at the gym, I am faster, stronger and a lot more flexible than I used to be. It keeps getting better so when the scale isn't moving the way I'd like, i'm trying to get into the habit of realizing I'm still making my body healthier than it was.
Coondocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 10:27 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 270/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

I have had several over the past few days.

First, I did more closet cleaning. Getting rid of some of the HUGE sizes and making room for smaller clothes.

I also tried on some very fitted work-out tops that even 2 months ago looked aweful and stretched to the max. They didn't look 1/2 bad. Still don't think I'm quite ready to wear them out, but it's nice to know that it could be a possibility soon.

I also tried on some jeans that didn't fit me a month ago. One pair fits (although tight in the calves of all places!) but are still a little snug. The other pair I can get on, but I have a terrible muffin top. I'm thinking the snug jeans I may wear at Thanksgiving just to remind me.

Working out with the trainer last night, I was able to do more reps with a higher weight.

I noticed this morning that my thighs don't jiggle like they did.

I hugged a friend of mine this morning and she pulled back and said, "I can feel your bones!" My collar bone is really visible now too.

Boy, this has made my day!
jenjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 11:17 AM   #4  
Argh.

S/C/G: 308/273/175

Height: 5'9"

I use them also - with or without scale progress because I try to keep the whole picture in mind. Once in a while, I even succceed.

Lots of mine involve the trying on of clothes, but also measurements, progress in lifting weights or lengths of bike rides, stuff like that. soon it will be xc skiing, since we got 8-12 inches of snow over the past few days!
calluna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 11:18 AM   #5  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

awesome Matt! Although skinny jeans are something I can't get behind LOL Unless you're Justin Bieber!!

Mine has to be PANTS in general -- at my highest weight, the start of each new season was a nightmare of "will i have enough pants" to make work outfits. I had about 6 pairs that I rotated, and the same for summer. NOW I have about 20 pairs! wooooot! i LOVE having tons of choice when it comes to pants - tops were always easy but finding the 'right fit' in pants is a miracle moment! LOL
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 11:53 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 298/238...285.5/217/150

Height: 5'5"

The biggest one for me is I'm not hot ALL time. The medical community says it the visceral fat that inflames the tissues and organs that cause the constant warmth (not a hot flash because it never went away). So I guess losing some of that deep fat has lessoned the inflamation and cooled the furnace. Phfew!!

Clothes are still too fickle for me. I put on a 3x blouse and it just hung on me. I put on a 3x sweatshirt and I felt like meat in a sausage casing.
DixC Chix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 12:00 PM   #7  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

I love those kinds of measuring success far better than the scale! I often purposely buy clothes that are too small. In fact, I did that just last week! And last week was a good loss week, so some of the too-small clothes actually fit a week later! That never happens. LOL!

I also love measuring my success by my fitness level. I love that I haven't run for three months and yet when I ran a few days ago I ran faster and further than I had three months ago!! That means the other training I do is making me stronger and it's awesome! I don't have to run frequently at all to keep up the skill!
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote