Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 11-08-2010, 02:09 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 159/159/125

Height: 57

Default New to the site but cant weigh myself

Hi I am Aimee. I was diagnosed with anxiety and panic disorder with clinical depression.I got divorced in 2009 and havent checked the scale once. I know it will be devastating. I have just started changing eating and drinking bad habits and am calorie counting. I know I have gained at least 40 lbs(I started at 125) Has anyone else wanted to wait to weigh in until there is at least some obvious progress.Like if my jeans were looser maybe stepping on the scale wouldnt be absolutely devastating. I appreciate any help. Thank You
aimee01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 07:48 AM   #2  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Hi Aimee, and Welcome

Yes, I think many of us feel the same way you do. Its scary for me to get on the scale and actually see those numbers, its almost like getting a bad test score and having your heart sink. But then getting on the scale could really help as well, seeing how bad or how not so bad you are can motivate you as well.

Good luck with your calorie counting, I think its a great way to go. We do have a board here that is dedicated to folks counting calories, you might want to check it out.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/calorie-counters-172/

Good luck !!!
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 04:42 PM   #3  
Gotta run!

S/C/G: 210/*ticker*/160

Height: 5'5

Hi Aimee. I have been in the same boat weight/scale wise. But you know what, you have to celebrate every victory no matter how small. And it's often really hard to see those little changes within yourself. If you don't know where you're starting you won't know how far you've gone! I'll look anyone in the eye and tell them straight out "I've lost 40 pounds" and be proud to say that. If you don't weigh yourself you won't be able to say how much you've lost.

Take a deep breath and get on the scale. Prepare your self, it will be bad. But it doesn't matter what it is because it is about to start changing for the better. Starting now.

As soon as you've convinced yourself to get on the scale make sure you take your measurements too! The scale may not move as much due to water flux, TOM etc... but measurements are pretty accurate. Oh and always weigh yourself at the same time of day, I like first thing in the morning

Last edited by Aunty Jam; 11-08-2010 at 04:42 PM.
Aunty Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 12:42 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 364/ticker/199

Height: 5'11"

Hey there, Aimee. If you really don't want to face the scale, there is absolutely no need to! Count your calories, exercise, and measure your progress some other way, like inches around your waist and hips, pants size, or how far and fast you can jog. In the end the scale is just a number.
Sonata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 03:10 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 159/159/125

Height: 57

Thanks guys I actually ordered a scale. I guess we'll see if I can bring myself to unpack it. 2 days on 1100 calories. I think thats cool for now.
aimee01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 11:10 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 208/141/120

Height: 5ft 4inch

Well done aimee your making the right steps and 1100 cals is a wicked start I am trying to stick to 1000 but I am starving all the time

Good luck and try not to worry about the scales to much. I cried for over an hour in the docs when they 1st weighed me but now as the weight is going down I look forward to weighing in.
Take it baby steps at a time honey and you will get there

Good luck xx
marie81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 01:57 PM   #7  
Calorie Counter

S/C/G: 197/ticker/136

Height: 1.65m

What I did when I was too worried to find out what I weighed but really wanted to see my progress was to weigh in using units I didn't understand. So I flipped the switch on my scale to kilograms and weighed in, resisting the temptation to ever find out how much that weight was in stones and lbs. If you are unfamiliar with British units you could use stones, so you can track that you have gone from being this many to that many without actually revealing to yourself how much you weigh in meaningful units. When you feel ready to face it in units you understand you can convert the original weight in kg to lbs. I didn't know what I weighed but I knew I'd lost 3.5kg so I had something to track my progress with.
RoseRodent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 05:00 PM   #8  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

Rose-- thats actually a fantastic idea for those of us who are scared to *know* our numbers!
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 09:36 AM   #9  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie81 View Post
I am trying to stick to 1000 but I am starving all the time
Hi Marie, when I did 1,000 a day it was extremely difficult to stay with because I was starving all the time just like you...not to mention I wasn't getting enuf nutrition, my skin started getting dry and my hair got thin I think for most adults 1,000 its very difficult and not really recommended. Don't forget once you hit a plateau how much lower can you go with out it doing damage. I bet you could up your calories by 400 - 600 and still lose weight. Have you done the calculations to see how many calories would be good for your height, age and activity level? I'll try to find it...

Anyway, I am not trying to discourage you but like you said, you are starving all the time I was too.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/cal...culator/NU0059

Leenie

Last edited by Leenie; 11-13-2010 at 09:47 AM.
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote