Old 11-08-2010, 01:50 AM   #1  
New Attitude!

S/C/G: 185.6/170.0/135-145

Height: 5'7"

Default Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread

This is a favorite in my house, and I took the recipe which used to be 6 points/slice (or 1/15 of a loaf) to 2 points/slice. I'll include what I substituted from in case anyone doesn't like a specific sub and wants to try it their own way... even my boyfriend and son like the lightest way as I mention below. Enjoy!

3 cups Splenda (sub'd for 3 cups white sugar)
15 oz can pumpkin
1 cup unsweetened applesauce (sub'd for 1 cup veg oil)
2/3 cup water
1 cup egg beaters (sub'd for 4 eggs)
1 3/4 cup all purpose flour
1 3/4 cup whole wheat flour (sub'd for total 3 1/2 cups all purpose flour)
1 tbsp ground cinnamon
1 tbsp ground nutmeg
2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional... not figured in to my 2 points/slice)

* Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray 2 loaf pans with PAM cooking spray.
* In a large bowl, combine first 5 ingredients. Beat until smooth.
* Blend in all the rest of the ingredients except the chocolate chips (and walnuts, if using).
* Then after blended, fold in chocolate chips & nuts.
* Pour into two greased loaf pans.
* Bake for 50-60 min, or until an inserted knife comes out clean. Cool on wire racks before removing from pans. (I have found that the lighter way takes less baking time, so start checking it closer to 45-50 min if lightening it up.)

Finishing touch:
**** Fattening way - mix about 1 cup powdered sugar with a splash of milk mixing til smooth & a good consistency for drizzling on bread.
**** Light way - top each slice (UN-ICED) with 2 tbsp of light or fat free Cool Whip.

Now, my thoughts on the lightest version of this recipe after making it... the lightest way reduces the whole recipe overall by about 122 points, making each loaf (if you divide into 2 even loafs) about 31 points. Play around with it and see what you like best.

I typically am not CRAZY about the baked goods Splenda taste, but HONESTLY in this recipe I can't notice it too badly with the sweetness of the chocolate chips and with the 2 tbsp dollop of light (not sugar free) Cool Whip on top. That seems to counteract or kill that taste. Even my guys love it, which was shocking! lol
If you still don't like Splenda, you can still DRASTICALLY reduce the points just by subbing the applesauce for oil and the egg beaters for eggs... huge savings and I PROMISE YOU WON'T NOTICE!
If all you're worried about is points and not OVERALL health, then the consistency is a tad better (IMHO) with all all-purpose flour, and there is little to no WW points benefit to using the Whole Wheat flour... just an overall healthier choice. (of course, that may change with the new points system coming at the end of Nov... who knows)

This also freezes well... I actually pre-sliced a loaf and froze individual slices so I can have a guilt free 2 pt snack with 2 tbsp of light cool whip and I FEEL SOOOO BAD!!! Even though I'm not...

Enjoy and let me know what you think!
Wendy
WendyRN is offline   Reply With Quote