PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Closed Thread

Old 11-05-2002, 01:09 PM   #1  

Question Bioslife 2--Good for PCOS Weight Loss??

Anybody tried this? My friend, Jody is taking it and has lost about 25 pounds over several months. I searched on the net and it *sounds* safe but you never can tell about these things.

You drink it before meals and it fills you up so you don't eat as much. Supposedly it tastes like Tang. I want to try it but I am not sure it is safe. It seems like none of these diet aids ever are.

The fiber is supposed to help lower cholesterol and the niacin-bound chromium is supposed to help the body process insulin and control blood sugar levels. Sounds good for PCOS right? Several websites list doctor testimonials. Jody gets hers from a doctor who endorses it.

So, if you have any information about it or have tried it yourself, I would really appreciate hearing your thoughts on this.

http://www.unicitysupport.com/
http://www.ultra-v.com/products/rx-6110.html

Betty
Old 11-06-2002, 09:02 AM   #2  
PCOS Educator (non prof)

For MOST PCOSers stuff like this doesnt matter. Remember, for us, in most cases, its not the amount of food but the KINDS of foods. Many of us dont overeat, on top of that, its a psycological issue for overeaters (unless thyroid issues). Its all well and good that she lost the weight on it, but reality check, how long will it stay off? I hope she's seeking therapy as well. What kind of life to lead to take a pill 3 times a day every day of your life to keep weight off??? Would you want that dependancy?

Weightloss to lead a healthy lifestyle and keep it off comes from hard work, good diet for the individual and an active lifestyle.

Pills are NOT the answer!

JMO
Old 11-06-2002, 12:44 PM   #3  

Default Not a Pill

Just to clarify. Bioslife 2 is a fiber supplement that you drink before meals.
Old 11-06-2002, 09:08 PM   #4  
PCOS Educator (non prof)

Hm, dont know what happened to earlier post. Anyway, I see, powder and not pill but same theory. Its also an appetite suppresant (You drink it before meals and it fills you up so you don't eat as much). If its supposed to fill you up a bit to supress appetite then you could be depriving yourself of needed food. MOST PCOSers do not have an overeating issue, again, its the type of foods that effect us. Basically, we cant eat like a normal person. We have to alter our diets to suit our metabolism because it runs differently in PCOSers/Diabetics.
Old 11-13-2002, 11:11 AM   #5  

I DO have a tendency to overeat and I am not going to fool myself and say otherwise. I have done some more research and heard from a few folks at 3fc who say this is pretty much the same thing as metamucil. The appetite suppression comes from the fact that the fiber makes you feel full. Most of us don't get enough fiber anyway. I do, so I probably won't take this but it doesn't sound harmful at least.
Old 11-19-2002, 08:02 AM   #6  
aka Zippy LiverFace

Just plain psyllium husks are a lot cheaper and will do the same thing.
Old 11-22-2002, 10:39 PM   #7  
WW Moderator

I bought some psyllium husks today also. Metamucil is psyllium husk with artifical sweetener and buling agents (in some). It takes 1/3 less of the straight psyllium husk for the same fiber, and the bottle was twice the size and cheaper than the metamucil. I bought a container in the 'health food section' at Krogers today and it was 8.99. Will probably last me 6 months.
I plan on putting it in smoothies, cottage cheese, yogurt and anything else I can slide it into to get my fiber up.
Closed Thread