Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-01-2010, 07:37 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 174→168.0→135

Height: 4'9''

Angry Bad, bad, choices...no choice.

I promised my friend that I would help her move in. I did not realise at the time that they had no power, and that they would have no power until Wednesday. I kept thinking, 'good thing I didn't bring my own food, it would have had to be eaten today.' Well, no power=no fridge. No fridge= a lot less food choices. Not to mention they're living paycheck to paycheck.

So we had pizza for dinner. Okay, I can live with that. Just pizza. I hadn't eaten since 8am, when I'd only had half a slice of pita bread, some cream cheese and spinach (my mother left my pre-made breakfast out all night, so I had no breakfast, and by the time I realised it it was too late.) So I had 3 slices of pizza (throughout the day), and 2 slices of garlic bread. That's a lot of bread, but okay, fine.

That's at 3-4PM. The only thing in the house later (7PM-3AM)is chips. So I eat them. Stupidly, I bought a bag of skittles and a water when we stopped at a gas station. A big bag. Because that was all I could afford. Either that, or some bag of chips. I had $31, that magically went missing from my purse when I showed up the other day. All that was left was assorted coins.

For breakfast today, we went to the dollar store, where I got enough money to buy combos.

So all I've had to eat in the last 2 days is just JUNK. And my stomach is paying for it now. I feel horrible. To top it off, my blood sugar was so low I asked my mom to stop somewhere--anywhere-- for some food on the way back. McDonalds.

Tomorrow I'm starting over, no doubt about it. I never realised how junk/fast food made me feel until yesterday. Now I know why I don't eat the stuff anymore. I feel soooo bad. My stomach has been bubbling and roaring and I've had the runs and everything. On top of that, one of my fillings fell out today NOT.

I am SO scared to see what that scale says tomorrow morning. I could have made better choices I guess. I'm just so glad it was only 2 days, and not a week. I'd have gained the full 15 back by then.

I guess this is just a little rant/update. It's not like I/we could help it, but I guess I really didn't need the skittles.

Last edited by yhahmd; 11-01-2010 at 07:40 PM.
yhahmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 07:41 PM   #2  
~~transforming Diva~

S/C/G: 368-heaviest 299/ticker/180

Height: 5'5"

I have been there and done that - had two pieces of fried chicken yesterday and had HORRID stomach pains today - ugh. Don't beat yourself up - just take it as a lesson learned. When I have a day like that, I don't weigh myself for another week at least so my body has time to regulate itself. What I do is instead of buying a bag of chips i will purchase one piece of fruit or a cucumber etc. You know what you did wrong, you know not to do it again, let it go and move on - the more you beat yourself up the worse you feel and that is when bad eating choices can happen again.
WillsAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 09:03 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 264/202/163

Height: 5'4"

Tomorrow is a new day... don't beat yourself up.

But, since starting this program I have started carrying a little ice chest with my meals when I know I might not get home for them. You might want to give it a try.
stacygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 09:10 PM   #4  
Le geek, c'est chic

S/C/G: 232/see ticker/150ish

Height: 5'2" and change

This is definitely not a time to beat yourself up--as you said in your title, you had either a detrimental food choice or no choice at all! Considering you were undoubtedly being physically active helping your friend move, you needed some kind of fuel. If pizza was the only fuel you had available, then pizza it would have to be.

The up side is that eating like that was a reminder of how much better you feel when you do have your usual options. I remember living on MREs and a few cans of Chef Boyardee stuff for a couple of weeks before the power got reconnected in our home five years ago; to this day, I feel a much deeper affection for my fridge than I ever did before. Refrigerators rock.
Nola Celeste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 09:20 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nola Celeste View Post
This is definitely not a time to beat yourself up--as you said in your title, you had either a detrimental food choice or no choice at all! Considering you were undoubtedly being physically active helping your friend move, you needed some kind of fuel. If pizza was the only fuel you had available, then pizza it would have to be.

The up side is that eating like that was a reminder of how much better you feel when you do have your usual options. I remember living on MREs and a few cans of Chef Boyardee stuff for a couple of weeks before the power got reconnected in our home five years ago; to this day, I feel a much deeper affection for my fridge than I ever did before. Refrigerators rock.

That IS true. They live on the second floor, so I was going up and down the stairs a LOT. That's the only reason I don't feel SO bad. I did get on the scale and it read 173.0, so maybe I didn't do too bad. I'll check tomorrow, then won't check again until sometime next week.
Old 11-02-2010, 08:59 AM   #6  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by yhahmd View Post
That IS true. They live on the second floor, so I was going up and down the stairs a LOT. That's the only reason I don't feel SO bad. I did get on the scale and it read 173.0, so maybe I didn't do too bad. I'll check tomorrow, then won't check again until sometime next week.
No, no, no. Just because the scale was kind THIS time does not give you permission to make a repeat of this. Not in my opinion!

I probably would have caved to the pizza, but after that, nothing could have made me finish out the day poorly. I'd have excused myself from helping the friend move to make a trip to the grocery store for just a few necessities. Could you have hit up an ATM? I'd have stopped at the store on my way home at the very least. And if it had to be McDonald's, I would have purchased a grilled chicken sandwich ditching the top bun. Or a yogurt parfait.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 09:32 AM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliana View Post
No, no, no. Just because the scale was kind THIS time does not give you permission to make a repeat of this. Not in my opinion!

I probably would have caved to the pizza, but after that, nothing could have made me finish out the day poorly. I'd have excused myself from helping the friend move to make a trip to the grocery store for just a few necessities. Could you have hit up an ATM? I'd have stopped at the store on my way home at the very least. And if it had to be McDonald's, I would have purchased a grilled chicken sandwich ditching the top bun. Or a yogurt parfait.

I never said it did give me permission. I don't know where you got that idea from. I don't have an ATM. I had, in coins, about 3 dollars and some odd coins. I spent 1.40 something on a water, because I'm used to well water and city water tastes like chlorine to me. Then I spent the rest on a big bag of combos because it was the biggest thing I could find for a dollar. Same with the skittles, though I could have picked something else out, I was being waited on and I got anxious. As I said, I didn't have the money for a yogurt parfait or grilled chicken sandwich. Had I, I would have gotten that.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:39 AM   #8  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I have to ask you--Why are you looking for lunch at the gas station or dollar store? Why not hit the grocery store and buy whatever fruit you can afford--bananas are cheap. Lots of apples are in season and cheaper now too--neither need refrigeration. Also, the packets of tuna are often right around one dollar. You can also get packages of peanuts (at least they are protein and keep you filled up) for 2/$1.

LOL..you are right though..fridges do rock! Funny something we take for granted daily means so much to our lives. That is one more thing I need to give thanks for today.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 09:41 AM   #9  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Oh, and where the heck did your money go???? Who all had access to your funds? I can't stand a thief! So sorry this happened to you.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 09:47 AM   #10  
Workin' It

Quote:
Originally Posted by yhahmd View Post
That's at 3-4PM. The only thing in the house later (7PM-3AM)is chips. So I eat them. Stupidly, I bought a bag of skittles and a water when we stopped at a gas station. A big bag. Because that was all I could afford. Either that, or some bag of chips. I had $31, that magically went missing from my purse when I showed up the other day. All that was left was assorted coins.

For breakfast today, we went to the dollar store, where I got enough money to buy combos.

I guess this is just a little rant/update. It's not like I/we could help it, but I guess I really didn't need the skittles.
Life hands us those kinds of days all the time. No, don't beat yourself up over it. Instead, learn from it and make a plan on how to survive it next time. What I hear Eliana saying is that so many people have a crazy day, don't see a big scale hit, so then next time say 'Oh, it didn't hurt last time I can do it again' and again and again. Eventually it does start to hit.

One comment I would make is that if you had $31 disappear out of your purse while you were helping your friends move then they might not actually all be your friends. That is just low, in my opinion.

And no, as you said, you didn't need the Skittles. At my gas station they sell apples and bananas for less than a big bag of skittles, or granola bars, or plain pretzels, or even saltine crackers in a mini packet. Most of them even have small food stores now. All better choices than a big bag of Skittles. (I don't think the combos were terrible, though I would have gone for a plain cracker instead of a cheese filled one if it were available at the dollar store, though sometimes they aren't I know.) I've been there, I know that you can't always get to somewhere with more choices, you just have to learn how to make the best choice out of the bad ones.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 12:00 PM   #11  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon in ATL View Post
Life hands us those kinds of days all the time. No, don't beat yourself up over it. Instead, learn from it and make a plan on how to survive it next time. What I hear Eliana saying is that so many people have a crazy day, don't see a big scale hit, so then next time say 'Oh, it didn't hurt last time I can do it again' and again and again. Eventually it does start to hit.
Thank you, yes. This is what I meant. I hate to see a good number on a scale ruin an otherwise good plan. It's better for me if the scale reflects a BAD number after a bad day, kind of like a slap on the hand. That way I'm less likely to do it again. But the scale doesn't always reflect what we do, good or bad...at least not right away.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote