Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 11-01-2010, 04:28 AM   #1  
Calorie Counter

S/C/G: 197/ticker/136

Height: 1.65m

Default Getting used to close-fitting clothing

Whatever my weight I have always worn very large fitting clothes. I am definitely a "comfort over style" person, and certainly budget over everything else. It's not great for the weight loss morale, though, because if I catch sight of myself or someone takes a picture of me I still look big. I have an exaggerated curve in my lower back so my back goes in a very long way and a very large bust, so I am a classic pear shape, but I always wear clothes that drop straight down over the big bust and big bum so I look like I fill out all of that space.

I'm on the lookout for better shaped clothes, though most are cut too low or too small on the bust line for me, but the main thing is I can't bear things that feel tight. I don't like trousers feeling like they are a giant wedgie, and even worse is T-shirts and tops that are cut up under your arms so you can only wear them for about 40 minutes before you feel sweaty and smelly. Men's shirts have a nice baggy underarm but then they don't shape in at the waist so I get the giant cube effect again.

If you persevere with slimmer fitting clothes do you ever get used to it or do you always feel like you can't wait to get home and get your uniform off? Is there anything that will fit a bit closer over a big (FF-HH depending on manufacturer) bust and in at the waist without touching under the arm? General ideas, pictures or UK suggestions, please, since I can't get to any of the US stores. Thanks.
RoseRodent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 06:30 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

Try Bravissimo for shirts. They are made for a bigger bust and cut appropriately the rest of the way around.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 06:49 AM   #3  
Calorie Counter

Quote:
Originally Posted by seagirl View Post
Try Bravissimo for shirts. They are made for a bigger bust and cut appropriately the rest of the way around.
Thanks, I always get their catalogue but never find more than one item in natural fibres and it's generally a formal shirt, which would look daft outside an office. And it's usually nearly £40! I did get a sale item once and it's a great fit, but I can't wear their standard polyviscose blends. I find it odd how low many of their necklines are too, I couldn't fit a bra under there without it showing. I'm usually in a wheelchair so I have to be really careful of people's eye level with low cut tops. Oh, and cap sleeves, those are my absolute number one hate for rubbing under the arms. It may be "feminine" but it's not very feminine when you have arms like Popeye (the wheelchair workout!) and sweat pools under your arms!

Are you naturally either a tight clothing or loose clothing person, and do you ever really change? I can't imagine ever wearing fitted clothing without being desperate to get home and get it off.

Last edited by RoseRodent; 11-01-2010 at 06:51 AM.
Old 11-01-2010, 06:50 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 326/274/190

Height: 5'6"

What size/weight are you? That would help.
odonnela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 07:12 AM   #5  
Calorie Counter

All different sizes really! Usually a 14 (all sizes UK) in trousers and 16 in jeans, waist measurement comes in at a size 10 but none of the rest of me would get in a 10 (!!!) and buy tops in minimum 18 to get the girls in. Not a lot of my clothes are in their original sizes, I get things and change them with a sewing machine, but I can't do detailed tailoring in tops, I'd love to learn, though. These trousers I'm wearing are a 16 but I just took an inch off each side and half an inch out of the backside (and 2 inches off the hem). Shoulders are often a problem because of the wheelchair arms, so sometimes have to go up to a size 20 for space across the back so I can reach my wheels, but my proper size is more likely to be a 14 or 16.

I inherit most of my tops from my dad in a men's L or XL because it's free clothes and I'm tight on money. He gets given free T-shirts but all in large sizes. When you're used to wearing a marquee a proper size does feel very tight.
Old 11-01-2010, 07:56 AM   #6  

Height: 5'11"

I'm very big-busted as well, but not as small in the waist and hips as you are. I don't wear blouses that button because, as you say, they would have to be huge everywhere else in order to get them to button around the bust. I wear mostly knit tops and sweaters. I have to try on a lot to find tops that will accommodate the girls and yet still not be huge and baggy around the middle.

So that's what I do. I buy nicer (work-appropriate) knit t-shirt type tops for work and layer them under a cardigan. I also have sweaters and that's good because I have a sit-down job in a chilly office.

Good luck. I know it's hard to be a busty girl and get things that fit, but aren't too "va-va-vooom!".
Windchime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 10:05 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 290/290/147

Height: 5'7"

I like V necks because they're flattering but you can easily end up flashing the world. I have a bazillion camis in brown, black, white, and beige - in various fabrics and lengths. If you get the right cami, you can make just about any V neck more wearer-friendly.

I like clothes that fit. Baggy clothes are fine for home, but they really do make you look bigger. I don't like clothes that are too tight, who wants to look stuffed into sausage casing? Mostly it just takes a lot of trying on and when you find your "look" get it in several different colors/fabric combos. I do well with trouser cut jeans, a fitted tee or cami, and a cardigan that fits.

Do you need ALL natural fibers, or do blends work? I am also a big fan of Spanx tanks and the right bra.

Last edited by NiteNicole; 11-01-2010 at 10:05 AM.
NiteNicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 02:36 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 155/150/129

Height: 5'4''

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseRodent View Post
... It may be "feminine" but it's not very feminine when you have arms like Popeye (the wheelchair workout!) and sweat pools under your arms!...
I know exactly what you mean! I'm also very busty and wore huge baggy things for years not only because of that but because I sweated like crazy under my arms. There'd be these big dark wet circles that showed in any color but black if I wore something too form-fitting. The doctor actually suggested that I had hyperhidrosis, excessive sweating. I'd just be sitting down and feel it drip down my sides...kinda tmi maybe, but if you're experiencing anything like this it may help to buy an aluminum chloride based deodorant. I get Certain Dri in the US, I'm not sure if that's available in the UK. It's a little itchy at first, but I find that goes away in less than a day, and I only have to use the stuff once every few weeks today! I can wear a lot of different colors now and am not so dependent on buying cotton, although I still prefer it. Good luck!
callie999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 11:22 AM   #9  
Calorie Counter

We do have a similar thing here, Driclor. It irritates my skin so I can't use it much. Actually I think it's psychological that I think I am sweaty because I'm actually not that bad. I have a restricted sense of smell, so I always worry that other people can smell me, so any sense that I might be sweating makes me worry and change my clothes several times a day.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:05 PM   #10  

S/C/G: HW:300 Pregnancy: 160/167/185

Height: 5'5"

Try petite tops, even if you are not short. I am 5'5", and always avoided petites because they were what short people--like my 5' sister--wore. But I tried a petite jacket on by accident and I was amazed! I looked about 15 lbs thinner. It turns out I am extremely short waisted, so even though I am average height, I need shirts to start curving in earlier than most women of my height.
Shmead is offline   Reply With Quote