Shoestring Meals Budget friendly ideas for healthy eating

Old 10-29-2010, 06:00 PM   #1  
it's always something

Default Winter Squash - budget friendly

It's in season! I found it for 99c per pound. One cup of cooked cubed winter squash has about 80 calories, depending on the variety. I didn't believe that until I looked it up I bought several varieties, including butternut, delicata, and a red kuri squash.

I started out with the red kuri and by the time I trimmed and seeded it, I had 4 servings for about 40 cents per serving. The butternut will probably yield more squash for the buck since I chose mostly long, thick necks with small bulbs, so they'll have less seed to discard.

It needs nothing more than to cube, toss with a tiny bit of oil, and roast till soft and crispy. I'm having the last serving tonight, then I'll move on to another variety.

Have you found a good deal on winter squash? Any other seasonal budget tips to share?

ETA: Winter squash now 47c per pound at some stores.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 09:48 PM   #2  

S/C/G: HW:200+/LW:120/CW:142

Height: 5'1 and a 1/2" (yes the 1/2" matters!)

I didn't grow up eating squash (or pretty much any other vegetable that wasn't covered in cheese sauce! ) so, as embarrassing as it is to admit, I'm intimidated by squash. I've been getting most of my veggies recently frozen or fresh but out of season.

You've given me a kick in the pants to try it. I definitely didn't realize that the bigger bulb meant more seeds, so thanks for the tip!

Last edited by JenMusic; 10-29-2010 at 09:49 PM.
JenMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 09:43 PM   #3  

I have been looking for good deals myself! I was wondering though where did you find the delicata and red kuri squash? I can only find butternut acorn and spaghetti, everywhere i look!
saratoga92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 10:04 AM   #4  
it's always something

I bought delicata at my local Walmart last week. It's very delicious

I'm on a squash kick again. I made a huge pot of butternut squash soup and froze it in individual servings, each at a cost of about 75c.
Old 10-17-2011, 07:05 PM   #5  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne 3FC View Post
I bought delicata at my local Walmart last week. It's very delicious

I'm on a squash kick again. I made a huge pot of butternut squash soup and froze it in individual servings, each at a cost of about 75c.
SUZANNE have you ever had butternut squash enchiladas? Angie made them for us the other night, they were good....but for me a little sweet...but I can tell it's a nice change for someone who is vegetarian and tired of cheese/bean/veg ones.

I'll post the recipe if you want...i'd do it now but Angie isn't here and I don't see it in her book...she may have it in her computer.
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 09:11 PM   #6  
it's always something

I would LOVE that recipe, Gary, thanks!
Old 10-17-2011, 10:34 PM   #7  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

Here ya go Suzanne...it's from Vegetarian Times magazine.

http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipes/10898?section=
Old 10-18-2011, 04:08 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZMONEY View Post
Here ya go Suzanne...it's from Vegetarian Times magazine.

http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipes/10898?section=
Ooh, I'm going to try that. I'll also recommend this one Zucchini Enchiladas. Very cheesy and super delicious.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 04:52 PM   #9  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchy View Post
Ooh, I'm going to try that. I'll also recommend this one Zucchini Enchiladas. Very cheesy and super delicious.
Now those look right up my "trying to be more vegetarian" alley!
Old 11-17-2011, 03:56 PM   #10  

I wasn't a big fan of the butternut squash enchildadas, but I'm trying this one tomorrow Butternut Squash Pasta w/Spinach and Blue Cheese because I want to try something other than roasting or soup.
Old 11-17-2011, 06:17 PM   #11  
I got this

S/C/G: 206/162/135

Height: a little over 5'2

Oooh, Munchy- that butternut squash pasta and zucchini enchilada recipe looks good!!! Though, for the butternut pasta, I will have to sub blue cheese (not a big fan) for feta cheese or some other strong/stinky cheese. Thanks for sharing!
amandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 06:27 PM   #12  
I got this

S/C/G: 206/162/135

Height: a little over 5'2

Just found this recipe on the same website Munchy posted about the butternut pasta recipe- Looks so yum! I'm gonna make this tonight since I have everything on hand. Again, thanks Munchy!

Update on Spinach Artichoke pasta recipe- That WAS good!!! Only thing I did different from the recipe was use lemon juice in place of the white wine and it was still pretty good a bit dry though but I think that was due to a little miscalculation from converting 6 servings to 2. Oh yea, I also added chunk light tuna in.

Last edited by amandie; 11-17-2011 at 08:30 PM. Reason: update on recipe
amandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 10:24 AM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandie View Post
Just found this recipe on the same website Munchy posted about the butternut pasta recipe- Looks so yum! I'm gonna make this tonight since I have everything on hand. Again, thanks Munchy!

Update on Spinach Artichoke pasta recipe- That WAS good!!! Only thing I did different from the recipe was use lemon juice in place of the white wine and it was still pretty good a bit dry though but I think that was due to a little miscalculation from converting 6 servings to 2. Oh yea, I also added chunk light tuna in.
Ooh, I'm going to try the spinach artichoke pasta. I eat pasta probably once every 1-2 months. That one is next!

The website has some great recipes to browse through too - I came across it randomly yesterday when I was googling recipes for butternut squash that were healthy and something I hadn't tried before.
Old 11-28-2011, 11:52 AM   #14  

Update for you too The pasta is delicious with the spinach and blue cheese. I portioned it out into six servings and five of those containers are in my freezer. Yum!