Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 10-28-2010, 02:27 PM   #1  
i76

Default Big achievement: I squatted my own bodyweight

Last night I had a session with my pt, since working with him I have completely got into weights. Its beens so good for changing my body shape. Hello muscle, goodbye lard.

Last night I squatted my own bodyweight (67kg). Only x1 rep but I did it. Frankly I would like to reduce my bodyweight but that is another story.

Aside from that I did another set of squats at 60kg. Nice!

I love the squat rack.

Oh, and don't get me started on the joy of preacher curls.
i76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 03:18 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 302/199/180

Height: 5' 6"

What an awesome achievement! I'd love to be able to do that some day.
Desert Agave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 05:41 PM   #3  
on the way to Onederland

S/C/G: 260/248/220(mini goal)/140

Height: 5'4

way to go congratulations
gypsychic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 06:21 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 300/ticker/149

Height: 5'6"

what is a preacher curl?
Iianae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 06:28 PM   #5  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Preacher curl: http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...acherCurl.html

i76: Nice job with the squat. I'm assuming it's a back squat right, since you referred to the squat rack. It's one of my favorite pieces too. Well, when I'm not nursing a knee injury. So how long have you been working toward your weight lifting goals?
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 06:44 PM   #6  

good job!!
ghostgirl811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 01:49 PM   #7  
i76

Thanks everyone, still smiling about that one.

Hey Lydia227! I started in Aug09 and went for 12s2p to 9s4p (just before july) then lost my way with my diet a bit and went back to 10s7p but not too bad as I only gained a few inches on waist so still somewhat lean. Any my pt got me into the "big" moves, squats, deadlifts, lunges, pulls ups, dips. etc. So good for my body, before that I was a cardio slave. Yuk! Thinking I could outrun or outcycle a bad diet, now since I have cut out crappy carbs and upped the protein its all good. So love love love the weights. Still do 10ks and some mountain biking those.

How about you? You have some nice definition on those arms? How did you get so lean? Tell me your secrets.....LOL What kind of exercises do you do? I am on a mission to get lean for xmas. 8 weeks inthe zone!
Old 10-29-2010, 03:47 PM   #8  
Kallos Sthenos

Gee Thanks.

I began training, around 2005....it's a little foggy really. My initial goal was similar as most. I joined a gym just to lose weight. Spent better part of a year in denial that I even had a gym membership much less used it and then really hit rock bottom.

The plan that I followed to lean out was Body for Life by none other than Bill Phillips. Made my husband buy the book for me because I was too self conscious to purchase it myself. Read it cover to cover, had my doubts but thought...if it doesn't work, then I still where I am right now. So I gave it shot. In a nutshell: protein, good carbs, mini meals throughout the day combined with HIIT and real weight training. Much like what you are doing.

Today my eating is still very much BFL style, a 40/40/20 split in my macronutrients of protein, carb, and fat respectively. My workouts are HIIT cardio along with compound movements such as backsquats, deadlifts, rows, pullups, and every kind of pushup you can imagine.

I also began to include yoga. After the second year of lifting I really needed something to help with the mental fatigue I was experiencing from lifting and yoga provided just that.

I think that something else that is a little different these days is that every workout I do is different. I work within a "parameter" of a specific goal but find ways to make subtle changes to the workout to keep it "new"either mentally or physically.

I think that if you continue with the tools you have before you, you will be well on your way to meet your goal at the end of the year. The only big thing here is CONSISTENCY. Almost anyone can do these things for a short period of time, but when you are consistent, you will see significant changes in your body in a year's time.
Old 10-30-2010, 07:09 AM   #9  
i76

Hey Lydia, that sounds great I must check oh that body for life book, I love reading about all things fitness. One of my guilty pleasures is mens fitness magazine.

I know what you mean about mental fatigue, I have got a great set of 3 routines but I am no longer a slave to them. It's nice to mix it up.

You must get some admiring glances at the gym if you are doing the big moves. Gee, think back to the first time you stepped in a gym.

I love the idea of consistency, your right on that. I was out for dinner with friends last night and they were encouraging me to have a drink and pudding but I just didn't fancy it. My goals are so clear right now I want to get back in to my skinny shirts and feel fantastic for Xmas. 8 weeks today!

Anyway, keep up the good work down the gym. We could be virtual gym buddies. Lol

I report back with more news of my success soon, off to play on the squat rack again. Grrrrrrrrr!
Old 11-01-2010, 01:00 PM   #10  
Kallos Sthenos

Congratulations on making good choices while out to dinner with friends. Eight weeks comes and goes very quickly. One of the ways that I kind of keep my head during this season is that I tell myself that I'm preparing to give myself the best gift there is on Christmas Day...the same level of fitness or better as the year before. Imagery is a pretty important tool for me. If I can't "see" it then I have no compass for the journey, right?

Anyway, good luck and DO keep us posted with your results.