Old 10-27-2010, 07:47 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 150/ticker/120

Height: 5' 3"

Default Legal Advice - DWI

So. I got a DWI. I'll just say it. I am horribly and completely mortified and so angry at myself. I NEVER drive drunk, but this one time I had 2 beer and drove my drunk boyfriend home. Now I feel like my life is over.

I need advice. I have no idea what to do now! Do I get an attorney? I'm getting like 5 letters a day in the mail of people who want me to hire them. I want to just bend over and take my punishment and deal with it.

Does anyone know what to do next? And please don't judge me! I came here asking for advice because I feel safe here. Thanks everyone.
garstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 03:28 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 201/145/135

Height: 5'5

I recently recieved a $500 red light camera ticket so no judgy thoughts from me...

I paid it and moved on because I did, in fact, run the light and violate laws. I put myself and others in danger.
Now I can't afford to eat anything but Ramen for the rest of the month, but I learned my lesson.

If you were under the influence of something than you are guilty-right?
(Not in a harsh way, just a matter of fact way)
If so- what would your argument be if you tried to fight it?
I don't think you would have one....

You will decide what is best for you but paying the fines, doing what you need to do and then moving on might be the best way to go.

Also, I don't know how it is in your state but in CA you would have accumulated several points and would therefore need to drive very conservatively for a looooong time to avoid bad, bad things happening.

I wish you good luck and try to remember that we all make mistakes.
Kaala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 08:37 AM   #3  
from Here to There...

S/C/G: 256.2 lbs/241.2 lbs/120 lbs

Height: 5'4"

First, be very, very grateful that neither you, your boyfriend, or some stranger were harmed in any way. Second, you've made a mistake - as Kaala said, it happens to all of us. Whether you fight it or not is obviously up to you and what you can live with, but if it were me I would just be honest and take whatever I get. Lessons learned can be very hard sometimes!
SeaWave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 09:31 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 180.6/177.2/120

Height: 5'1"

I got a dui a little over a year ago and was horrified. It doesn't take much at all to legally be drunk. I live in MA and got a lawyer to ensure I got the lowest possible punishment because they can be pretty strick here in MA. It cost me a lot of money to deal with the ordeal but in the end I'm glad I had a lawyer because I just didn't know what I was doing / what to expect, etc. As long as you learned your lesson and no one was hurt that's all that matters. People think I'm lame now because I literally won't have a drink and drive. Anyways, good luck and it happens to the best of us. :hugs: sorry if that wasn't helpful but let me know if you have any other questions.
sailyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 09:47 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 258/229.2/160

Height: 5'6"

I'm an insurance agent, so I see people go through this all the time. It happens.. a million years ago, my mother got one because she'd been on diet pills that kept her from eating, then had 2 drinks after work and got pulled over in her apartment complex parking lot. *hugs* Don't beat yourself up too much.

If you can afford it, just based on what I've seen, I'd suggest hiring an attorney. I wouldn't say necessarily to fight it, but to make sure everything is handled as simply as possible for you. No one at the license office will be helpful in the least, and I've seen a simple case turn into a complete cluster-eff for people. Good luck, I'll keep my fingers crossed it goes as painlessly as possible for you.
AmandaW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 11:07 AM   #6  
Kicking the soda habit

S/C/G: 214/204/165

Height: 6'0"

I currently work in a law office, and I'm not familiar with your state's laws, but I would HIGHLY suggest getting an attorney. They deal with DWI's frequently and will most likely be a tremendous help in making sure you get a fair sentence and see that your license is suspended (if at all) for the shortest period of time. Just be sure to find someone who has experience with them. Around here, most attorneys will give a free consultation, just find someone you trust and feel comfortable with. But act quickly! You probably only have a couple of weeks before a court date.

A DWI is not good, but it's be no means the end of the world. You'd be surprised how many people, at least in Idaho, have had them. The court will most likely be lenient your first time around, but I would expect that if it happened again, you probably wouldn't be able to drive at all for at least a year. And 3rd strike would probably land some jail time.
GreenTeaYum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 11:16 AM   #7  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

I'm convinced that more people have DUI's than don't have them, but I work in the bar industry, so my perception might be skewed

First, you made a mistake. You are owning it, and most judges realize that most people are like you- they had a lapse of judgement and are prepared to take responsibility and move on with your life.

This will not be cheap. This will last a while. You may want to consider an attorney. Between your license being suspended, the drug and alcohol classes, the costs (which will be OUTRAGEOUS), the insurance hike and the cost of having a breathalizer installed in your vehicle- you don't want to take this on without legal guidance. This will be a long, drawn out process that you WILL move past, but you should have someone to walk you through it.

The way it stands, most cases are like yours and have an automatic process. Have you looked up what that process is for your state? The rest is up to the judge, which is why you need to talk to someone.

I've never had one myself, but DH came close one evening (pulled over for a tailight being out and had had a couple- we were close to home and he let us go). I've known TONS of people from CEO's to Lawyers to bartenders that have gotten them and it's no picnic for anyone it happens to, but that's supposed to keep you from doing it again.

Good luck
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 03:19 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 266/264/150

Height: 5'5"

You had 2 beers and got a DWI? What was your blood alcohol content?
LindsayW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 03:42 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 220 (2007) 159 (now)/159/140

Height: 5 feet, 8.5 inches tall

I agree with others....get a lawyer ASAP! Only a lawyer can help you correctly navigate the legal jungle you're about to enter into! Also, a lawyer will know whether this case will be something you COULD fight and win...because let's face it, a DWI isn't something you want on your record if you can keep it off of there in any way.
MindiV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 05:17 PM   #10  
This is not a test.

S/C/G: 187/132/127.8

Height: 5'5''/165cm

I dont know about the US, but here when people need some free legal advice there is the Citizens Advice Bureau that they can call and find out about their rights etc. Maybe you should call the equivalent of that in your state and see if they recommend getting an attorney or lawyer or whatnot?
Iconised Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 02:38 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 200/200/130

Height: 5'7"

Get an attorney. They can plead you out if possible. They can help you navigate the process. Just all around-get an attorney-and a good one!
wibblewobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 11:34 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

Not in the US but do work in law enforcement and I am somewhat familiar with the US laws.

1. Did you blow or refuse? A refusal is an automatic license suspension. They probably explained this to you.

2. You NEED a lawyer. In Minnesota, you do face the possibility of jail time for even a 4th degree offense (1st time, no history). There are 1st,2nd,3rd degree too (including a felony). Be prepared this can cost you upwards of $10,000.

Do some reading here
http://www.house.leg.state.mn.us/hrd/pubs/dwiover.pdf

And always remember (for everyone here) that a limit of 0.08 (or whatever in your state/country) is the PER SE limit which means anything 0.08+ is automatically considered impaired, no matter what. If you blow 0.04 (half the legal limit) but show visible impairment, you can still be convicted of DWI. This is why people can be convicted of impaired driving after using only drugs (illicit or prescription) and blow 0.00

Quite often people think that they can drink up to 0.07 and be safe - HECK NO! I in fact did a test once and blew 0.04 (this was for an impaired driving law enforcement course) and was deemed impaired.

Last edited by sacha; 11-03-2010 at 11:36 PM.
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 07:29 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 143.8/131.2/120

Height: 5'7''

I am sorry to hear about this news. My BF got one several years ago (I was in the car). I have friends and friends' signficant others have gotten them. My BF has a lawyer friend who represented him. He had to pay a fine and couldn't drive in the state for a year I think. He has moved on and since really forgotten about it. It is very upsetting but you will move on and be fine!

Good luck!
JessieCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 10:43 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 190/166.8/160

Height: 5'10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindiV View Post
I agree with others....get a lawyer ASAP! Only a lawyer can help you correctly navigate the legal jungle you're about to enter into! Also, a lawyer will know whether this case will be something you COULD fight and win...because let's face it, a DWI isn't something you want on your record if you can keep it off of there in any way.
+1

I have a lot of problems with the current DWI laws. I don't think I'd hesitate to drive my car after two drinks. Would I blow over the legal limit at that point even if I felt fine? I have no idea, I don't have any idea what that would take, I've never had access to a breathalyzer. I have to use my judgment, as does everyone. If there is ANY doubt, it's a cab or a DD for me, but I'd never think two drinks would be a problem and I think that's how so many people end up with DWIs. There is really no way to know unless you're pulled over or commit to absolute 0 drinks. I'm in no way condoning driving while drunk, but I also don't think harsh punishments for people who've had two drinks is the right way to handle it.

You're not a horrible person. You made a mistake. Getting a lawyer is not trying to avoid punishment, it's helping you get a fair punishment.
AmberD is offline   Reply With Quote