PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 10-21-2010, 02:14 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 166/ticker/123

Height: 5'3"

Default PCOS and on birth control

Hey everyone! My name is Jessica and I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 18 (22 now). I was immediately put on Yasmin (now I'm switched to Ocella, same thing), and since then most of the symptoms have gone away... I haven't gained weight since then, no more acne, no unwanted hair, normal periods, etc. etc.

My only problem (besides not being able to lose weight!!) is that the birth control has elevated my estrogen levels so much that I have these two slightly darker patches of skin on my face. It's just below my mouth on each side. The skin feels totally the same as the rest of the skin on my face, it's just darker. I've looked it up and it's due to the elevated estrogen in the BC.

So I was lurking around on the website and came across the sticky - supplements to take for PCOS and someone recommended DIM - diindolylmethane - to regulate the estrogen. I figure if my estrogen is regulated then I can hopefully get rid of these dark marks.

Do you know if this is okay to take with the birth control? From all of my research I should be fine, DIM will only make the birth control less affective for preventing pregnancy which I don't care about.

I would just go to my doctor and ask but I don't have insurance anymore =/.
So I thought maybe I could see if anyone has experience with this - taking BC and DIM, and also if you think it would regulate the estrogen enough to get rid of the dark marks.

Thanks soooo much!
Jessica
jesslaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 09:42 AM   #2  

hey Jessica I really don't have an answer to your question. I too am without insurance right now :/ Maybe you could ask a pharmacist? Most of them are willing to run two meds together in their computer to see how they interact. There will probably be someone here who can help you too...but I just thought I would mention the pharm.

Also, what about a low-dose BCP? Is Ocella low dose? Maybe that would keep the patches from occurring? You might could see someone at your local health clinic where it wouldn't cost so much...or could even be free.....
Violet73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 10:04 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

I've had that appear and I have treated it with concentrated salcylic acid, but I did it with the supervision of someone who knows what they're doing!

I also stopped taking the BCP, so I'm hoping that I won't get more.

If you find something that works, let me know.

The other thing that I read that is absolutely a MUST is sunscreen, lots of it, at all times, so it doesn't spread or get bigger.
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote