Old 10-18-2010, 07:54 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 190/*see ticker*/130

Height: 5'4"

Default energy foods

so i've been thinking. i know a lot about dieting, and yo-yoing and all that, but i don't really know a lot about "good" foods.

i want to exercise more but i'm always so tired when i get home. now something in another thread made me think about this. are there any specific foods i could add to my diet that would give me more energy?

help away!
KawaiiCandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 09:04 PM   #2  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

I feel tired when I get home too, often before a run as a pick-me-up I'll have a banana or a little bit of plain pasta. What do you eat in a typical day? If you eat a lot of carbs you're probably going to get tired faster.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 09:27 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 165/144.8/135

Height: 5'2

If I need a pick-me-up right before a workout and don't want to have a heavy feeling in my stomach I will have a small spoonful of peanut butter. It helps keep my blood sugar from dipping which happens to me a lot if I have a completely empty stomach with a hard workout.
LindsB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 09:31 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 205/160s/128

Height: 5'0"

Hrm. I was wondering the same thing actually. I usually just force myself to exercise when I'm done at work, but when I'm super tired it's pretty hard. Would love something to perk me up a bit. I don't eat many carbs during the day aside from like.. fruit and veges which I assume have carbs. But like.. no bread, pasta, rice.
rainbowstripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 10:17 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 230/159/120

Height: 5"6 (168cm)

I've been loving this dry fruit type of snack whenever I feel hungry. I have dry mangos and dry plums. I would pop one in my mouth when I m hungry and just 1 piece could make me feel much more refreshed
Ivonnely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 10:26 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 150/ticker/120

Height: 5' 3"

*digs in trash* My friend JUST printed me off an article of the best foods for energy and exercising. One which I apparently threw away. I'll try to remember most of them.

Bananas
Whole grain pasta (this give you prolonged energy, white does not)
Energy bars (power bars are my life savior for long runs)
Sports drinks (I sip on a Gatorade during my runs)

That's all I remember... You need a combo of complex carbs and protein.

Ditch foods with added sugar and only eat whole grains. That'll give you more energy! Also healthy fats like peanut butter and avacado will keep your energy going and keep you full.

A turkey burger with avocado on a whole grain bun is like an energy punch for me!

Goodluck
garstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 02:42 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 235/149/135

Height: 5'5

I would suggest eating something whole wheat (pasta or bread) in the am and before workouts. But only then! I try to limit my carb intake to 40% of my diet, if that.
elleohelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 02:43 AM   #8  

thanks!

i was looking more for general kinds of foods to add to my diet, not something specifically to eat before a workout.

krampy, i eat very little carbs, so i'm sure that's not the problem... i even got scolded by a japanese person this morning cuz i didn't eat any carbs for breakfast... lol. oh, also, do you know if whole grain pasty is available in japan?? we have a bunch of import shops here but, hum...

that burger sounds great garstar!!
Old 10-19-2010, 03:37 AM   #9  
Funsized Fiesta

S/C/G: 230/144.5/130

I'd try adding in more protein rich foods like cottage cheese, nuts/nut butters, beans, etc. Also make sure you stay hydrated! Sometimes I feel really worn out and then I drink a glass of water and feel a lot better
KenzideRhae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 08:45 AM   #10  
I CAN do this!

S/C/G: 230/179/160

Height: 5'4.5

you could need iron. iron rich foods that give me energy and feel healthy:
lentil soup with lots of veggies. i put in garlic, mushrooms, tomatoes, spinach,onions, carrots....easily adjusted to low carb or whatever is laying around. i make with chickxn broth or stock. link type of sausage works well in this. chicken didn't work for me. curry seasoning is delish in this!

sauted spinach or other greens

salmon or other fish. really stays with me. i don't think this one has iron, but it works for me.

ran out of ideas for now, but feel free to pick my brain sometime. my head is full of info about nutrition, exercise. i used to want to be a dietician. didn't do those classes, but i read alot of labels and other stuff for 'fun'.
katy trail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 09:20 AM   #11  

thanks for all the suggestions!

i should eat more fish, i admit... it's been a while!!
Old 10-19-2010, 03:03 PM   #12  
This is not a test.

S/C/G: 187/132/127.8

Height: 5'5''/165cm

I was also going to say protein helps- a hard boiled egg will get me through a run in a pinch and theyre pretty easy to transport, esp if you dont peel them until you are ready to eat them
Iconised Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 06:41 PM   #13  
Brighter than the moon!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/145

Height: 5'4

I find that on days when I'm going to do long work outs I NEED to have some sort of whole grain carb - whether it be bread or pasta - otherwise I just don't have the enrgy for it.

I make this pasta dish that's whole grain rotini, grilled chicken and diced, roasted tomatoes and its the perfect fuel - also keeps me from being really really tired.
stellarosa27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 09:05 PM   #14  
This is not a test.

S/C/G: 187/132/127.8

Height: 5'5''/165cm

oh! a handy snack is a little bit of muesli and yoghurt Nice and carby, not too heavy
Iconised Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote