Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-14-2010, 11:31 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 167/160.2/135

Height: 5'6.5

Default weightloss and illness- please advise

So, I'm sick and I have very little appetite and it hurts to swallow. Obviously I don't want to eat very much. Actually, I could probably eat nothing for a few days and be fine...

but I'm really worried about what this will do to my weightloss! I know that fasting will cause loss in the short-term, but then the body goes into "starvation mode" and that will mess with my metabolism, so that when I do start to eat normally again, I will gain back all the weight I lost and then some. At least, that's been my experience.

How can I avoid that? How much does a person have to eat to keep up the metabolism? Any suggestions, advice, or personal experience stories would be appreciated!
YoYono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 11:46 AM   #2  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

Youre not going to mess up your metabolism being sick for a couple of days. You will experience water-weight loss from de-hydration, and then you will gain that water back when you arent sick any more.
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 12:09 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 182/see ticker/140

Height: 5'4''

Maybe you could get some good soups or smoothies...an ice cold fruit smoothie might help your throat too? As mkroyer said I don't think a couple of days will change your metabolism, in fact a very small amout of fasting very occasionally can be good for you according to my Dr...as it helps to clear out toxins etc. (I shoudl point out, I'm not encouraging fasting as a long term solution to anything but one day once a month is what I do sometimes)...

Hope you get better soon
x
abidabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 03:24 PM   #4  
Just keep swimming...

S/C/G: 215/ticker/140

Height: 5'8"

I would totally not worry. Your metabolism will be fine, you won't go into starvation mode, you'll be just fine and dandy. Your weight may fluctuate as mkroyer pointed out due to a bit of dehydration/rehydration.

Just make sure when you do feel like eating again you make nice, healthy choices.

Feel better!

Last edited by My Michelle; 10-14-2010 at 03:24 PM.
My Michelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 05:51 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 222/154.4/149 (mini-goal)

I've had acid reflux problems for a few weeks now, got on meds a week ago. My weight has been dropping significantly because I'm just not very hungry. And since I'm losing faster than normal I know I'll have to be extra careful when this clears up. Of course, it's encouraging to see the numbers go down, just not realistic to think they'll keep going down this quickly.

Last edited by karen0117; 10-14-2010 at 05:54 PM.
karen0117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 05:59 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 198/155/140

Height: 5'9"

like the others said, a couple of days will be ok. if you really want to get something in, stick to proteins to help prevent muscle loss... greek yogurt, protein shakes. people regain after fasting because they often binge and go back to old habits.
ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 06:29 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 285/180/160

Height: 5'9"

You're fine, "starvation mode" wise. Really, it would take a long longer than an illness to start really messing with your metabolism. You'll most likely lose some weight, but if you go back on plan, you won't see much of a regain. Some, but not greater than you were before you sick, minus perhaps a little salt weight.

The Carnation Instant breakfasts are pretty good and you can mix them with various levels of milk, depending on the number of calories you need that day. Soup is good as well. Make sure you're drinking enough fluids!
duckyyellowfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 06:35 PM   #8  
from Here to There...

S/C/G: 256.2 lbs/241.2 lbs/120 lbs

Make sure you do keep drinking so you don't dehydrate - that can make you feel worse! I found drinking coconut water (not milk) if you can get it very helpful when my stomach is queasy, and it helps keep your electrolytes balanced (they call it nature's Gatorade for a reason!) Hope you feel better soon!
SeaWave is offline   Reply With Quote