Old 10-12-2010, 07:40 PM   #1  
this space for rent

S/C/G: 274/274/140

Height: 5'8"

Default anyone returned to college?

So after nearly a decade I am seriously considering recapturing my dream of being an accountant by returning to college. It seems strange to do this after so long. I was 2 credits away from a bachelors in business admin, and because i didn't graduate, Im sure I could qualify for student aid (though i'm considering living a meager existance and pay for it out of pocket-I can do poor...again). If I can do this, I'll be 35 and entering the workforce looking for someone to hire an entry level accountant.

Sigh, Has anyone done this sucessfully, or know of someone who has? I'm looking for reassurance and actual critical input on the pros and cons on such a manuever.
eroica27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 09:16 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 278/234.4/150

Height: 5'3"

I went back to college in the spring of 2008 after a 10 year absence. I have 30 hours to go. College isn't what it used to be...of course, it may be the fact that I have a family and a full-time job now! Honestly, I was worried about it taking forever, but it has gone really fast. I have a decent job for the area that I live in; however, I returned to school because I always promised myself it would be something I'd finish.

Another thing I was worried about was being the oldest person in my class, but that has yet to happen. There are lots of us "non-traditional" college students now

We paid for my first 2 semesters back, then my husband lost his job...so, I now have loans. I'm considering taking a leave of absence from my job to finish my last 2 semester (lots of writing intensive courses and clinicals). It will be tight, but worth it in the end. Right?

Good Luck!

Last edited by SunshineTater; 10-12-2010 at 09:17 PM.
SunshineTater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 09:18 PM   #3  
Back in the saddle again

S/C/G: 249/ticker/149

Height: 5'6"

I'm 32 and considering going back to college and starting all over again in a new career....just not sure which one yet I can't comment on the process or give you any story of success; however, I do know that waking up every day to go to a job you dislike is pure torture and certainly not something you want to commit to for the rest of your life. That being said, it's not the easiest job market right now, so you may find yourself doing the "poor" thing longer than anticipated Personally, I say go for it...especially if you know what you love and you want to make it a reality~
spixiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 09:22 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 278/234.4/150

I agree with the "going to a job you don't like" thing. The way I figure it, I'm only 35...I'll have to work until I'm at least 65. That's 30 more years!!! I'm just a young thing.
SunshineTater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 09:51 PM   #5  
xty
bright hearted

S/C/G: 240/127/125

Height: 5'6

There are more non-18 year olds re-entering college than ever, especially during the recession. In fact, a very dear friend who is past her 80th birthday is currently enrolled at a uni in Florida. You shouldnt at all be discouraged by your age.

Sounds like you have given it some serious thought. A few more things you might want to think about:
- what area do you want to live, what is their demand like for the degree you are seeking in the job market there currently aka vacancy rate, are you ok with the entry level salary for that career?
- why is this your dream job? have you done a similar role? I only ask because I know people that once working at their dream job found it not so dreamy to have to do every day
- work out a full budget not just during school, but during your job search
- consider continuing to work and going to school part time
- avoid school debt if at all possible, much better to live meagerly than have to pay it all back later
- what will you do for health insurance
- schools are super expensive right now. who knows if this will change much in the future and I dont know how bad it is in your area....but due to the recession and massive fed/state cuts CA state schools have increased tuition over 30% year over year!
- school might be harder than it was before, some friends who went back in their 30s told me it was a little harder to study, took a bit longer, etc. not sure if its how the brain ages or that going to school for 20 years straight makes you good at...going to school.
- is a uni degree the right move for you? can you study independently for some type of cert to do the job you want?

best wishes in finding a career path you love
xty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 10:11 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 200/176/140

Height: 5'4"

I say that if it's something you're really serious about go for it, 10 years from now you might wish you would have! I finally went back at 24, haven't been in college for probably 4 years. I'm glad I did. I should be done next year or spring 2012! Go for it!!!!
LindseyLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 11:28 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 264/247/150

Height: 5'10

You can do this!! I just turned 33, and I am embarking on a second career..I am in my first year of nursing...it is hard, but there are a lot of older students, I am definitely not the oldest one! I wish I did this when I was younger, its a challenge with two small children and working full time, but with the support of my hubby....I'll get'er done!! Do it, you won't regret it!!!
goalbelow200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 08:42 AM   #8  

I have orientation for school tonight! I am going into an accelerated program that's only 1 night a week. I have an associate's degree, but so many jobs now require a bachelor's degree.
When I worked in special ed as an assistant, the law required everyone to have a minimum of 60 college credit hours and paid us only 25¢ over minimum wage! Are you kidding me?? I really need to finish my BA to make any kind of decent wage. Luckily I qualified for the maximum pell grant, and filled in the rest with loans.
aaronandtara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 11:19 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 172/172/152

Yes, I'm in school right now and it has been great! It definitely takes some effort and motivation but overallit's been a very positive thing for me.
wickedlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 03:39 PM   #10  
this space for rent

S/C/G: 274/274/140

Height: 5'8"

All of this sounds great. I found 2 acredited online uni that are about $3k per semester. I'm re-picking accounting-something I've wanted to do since I was little dorkily enought. I've had experience doing simple tax returns for folks, and the purchasing/capital expense/light job costing parts of the retail underbelly.

Also because I live alone, I'm willing to move around for the best opportunity. I'm currently employed full time with basic pay, but rockin' insurance (that I really don't pay for), so that's one thing i'll won't have to worry about.

Its still a little frightening though.
eroica27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 04:23 PM   #11  
Haters gonna hate

S/C/G: 187.5/175.2/140

Height: 5'3

i went back to college at 29 and i was 32 when i graduated with a degree in communications. go for it!
SunnyDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 04:25 PM   #12  
Haters gonna hate

S/C/G: 187.5/175.2/140

Height: 5'3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineTater View Post
I agree with the "going to a job you don't like" thing. The way I figure it, I'm only 35...I'll have to work until I'm at least 65. That's 30 more years!!! I'm just a young thing.

SunnyDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 04:59 PM   #13  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

Quote:
I'm looking for reassurance and actual critical input on the pros and cons on such a manuever.
OK ~ you said you wanted the practical advice -- my uncle is a licensed CHARTERED ACCOUNTANT with his own firm now, but I recall very well his years in university and the first decade afterward. Want the truth? He said it was more boring than he ever imagined; and he almost quit a hundred times, but didn't want to waste all the money and time he had already put into it.

But, he fought it through to the end and passed his bar exam better than he expected (yes, like lawyers, there is a challenging bar exam at the end). Well, then the only job he could get was that entry level job in a large firm, but he was grateful for the start -- he ended up doing all the basic bookkeeping for all the small businesses, plus everything the senior accountants didn't want to do ... long story short ... he hated it!!!

He said he had to get out of there before he went mad; his mind couldn't stand the monotony of the day in, day out figures. He had erroneously dreamed of being a business consultant who gave businesses awesome advice on how to save their businesses; and he did do that later on -- but not until he branched out on his own, and approached an older accountant in a small town to form a partnership. He did most of the work, but in the end, it panned out (but it took another decade of living like a pauper before success). They started out with one little office; him being the junior partner and the other one the senior partner. Eventually, they branched out to other neighboring towns and today, he is the senior partner and finally doing his dream job as a consultant and is financially solvent (and more, I hope).

Too bad you couldn't finish that business administration degree first or at the same time; then take an accounting certification course after that. My SIL did that and she has had a great career working for the government, and then later on, at a large corporation with full benefits, great pay, and super working atmosphere (we live in Canada).

Sorry, if this is too winded; but this is an important decision you are making. I say, GO FOR WHATEVER ... but maybe do some more homework first. Do you want to be a junior bookkeeper or an accountant or a income tax agent? For a bookkeeper, you can just take a college course that takes less than a year; same for the income tax agent/rep (depending on where you work). These are lower paying positions unless you are hired by the gov.

Here in Canada, we have two kinds of accountants; one that is certified by the provincial government and you only need to take a college course plus certification for that. For a licensed, Chartered Accountant, you have to take 4 years university and pass a bar exam (and it is more challenging than the college course). Our nephew just tried the first year of the CPA course, but switched over to the Bus/Admin course the second year.

Like XTY said, have you considered keeping your present job and getting the degree at home, at night, over the net so your wages could pay for it all; and you'd be able to keep your health insurance too, while you complete it?

Also, accountants only do tax returns for a small window of the year like February to May; my aunt helps my uncle in his office during that time as it's busy then (she's a legal secretary). The rest of the time is doing the number crunching bookkeeping on small businesses mostly.

ALSO, I returned to college for the second time at 28 years old; and I think that my age was actually a benefit. There are so many older people going now that you will feel right at home; and all the students mixed in very well. They even seemed to enjoy having us older students there to get advice from. I felt I did much better the second time I went to college; straight 90's to 100% in my courses (my lowest final mark on only one subject was 92%).

Ummm ... I also took accounting, but inside an intensive commercial business course which included math, english grammar & spelling, more accounting-bookkeeping (which I had already taken in HS, and had some experience on the job), typing, computers & ACC programs, business organization, plus office skills & secretarial training, etc. I just loved, loved, loved that course! I loved the variety and learned so much from it ...

One of the most important things I learned from it was that I wouldn't want to do bookkeeping for 8 hours a day, seven days a week, for the whole year; year after year! I realized that I am the type of person that thrives best on variety ... My most favorite jobs were those that had a lot of flexibility and lots of different tasks to do.

I hope I'm not discouraging you in any way; becuz I definitely think you should go for it -- your dream, I mean. Did you LOVE doing the bookkeeping in your business admin course? That could help you with your decision.

Like XTY -- I just want you to be sure what your dream is; and that you are taking the right courses, and the best route to get there ... good luck!

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 10-13-2010 at 05:38 PM.
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 05:24 PM   #14  
tamIam

S/C/G: size16/size14/size10

Height: 5'7"

I am actually sitting in my little office space / cubby hole/ study carrel with two other graduate students who are roughly my age - 38.
I confess I know nothing about accounting. I'm not even sure that's my age. lol.
But as my mother once commented "Once you have that education, no one can take it away from you." I fully agree with that one. Kind of like cultural capital.
The great thing about doing this at an older age is that the things you already know will contextualize what you are learning. I love those moments when I realize that I've already learned something but it makes sense now.
But money is an issue....
I don't know if I'd be here if I wasn't being paid 75% of my salary.
You could also look into bursaries and scholarships. Apparently there is a tonne of money that never gets paid out because so few people apply for them.
greeneggsandtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 07:49 PM   #15  
Manifesting

S/C/G: 307/286/170

Height: 5'7"

Yes! I went back to school about a year after becoming a single mom and finally graduated with my B.A. in Sociology in spring 2009. Now I'm in graduate school to become a counselor.

I'm 35.
Curiously Joyful is offline   Reply With Quote