Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-07-2010, 11:30 PM   #1  
Phil1:6

S/C/G: 253(old)/220(new)/ticker/170

Height: 6'

Default Why do we do what we do???

I think of the verse in the Bible where Paul says the things I want to do, I dont & the things I dont want to do, I do. That has got me described down to a tee! I know I could probably post this in the faith-based support area, but I think this pertains to all people.
I was thinking while I was at the store & I saw this mini oreo cake I really wanted (yet I KNEW it would make me feel like crap & full of regret after), why am I purchasing this right now?? Ok, I'll only eat half... ok a couple more bites.. oh man I ate the whole thing! 5 minutes later- WHY did I do that??? I feel like crap! My stomach hurts, Im even more tired, irratable, etc.
I just dont get it- I KNOW what foods dont go well with me- and those are sweets, the things I love the most, and yet I still eat them knowing full well no good will come out of this.. I still do it...
Just wondering if any of you can relate & Im wondering if you can share your experience in breaking this mentality!
thanks <3 Laura
DaughteroftheKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 01:01 AM   #2  
'

S/C/G: 268/268/135

Height: 5'5”

Hi. Love your name on here. My niece put that as a tatoo on her ankle. I will have to visit that forum.

Anyways, I don't know why we do what we do when it comes to food. As far as breaking it....in the past I just had to get to the point of enough is enough. That is the point I am at now. I have had enough. I can let food control me or I can control the food. What is the alternative: food controlling me......overweight and unhealthy, feeling negative against myself, hating buying clothes, etc. Or me controlling food: healthy....good example for my kids....negative feelings gone, can't wait to shop in normal size, etc.

We have the ability to control what is in our future. I am just sick and tired of making excuses and letting the food control me. I have wasted way too many years.

I just looked up by your dancing carrots.....I say control the food and go to Europe....woo hoo.

Thanks for the idea....I think I am going to come up with my rewards. Good luck. I hope someone else that have had great luck at weight loss can chime in for you.
Pulchra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 12:55 PM   #3  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

One definition of addiction is when you set out not to do something, and you fully intend not to do it, but then you find yourself doing it anyway.

You have to just say NO and mean it when something like that comes along. It's like trying to quit smoking.
"Maybe I'll only smoke one or two."
"Maybe I'll just smoke half the pack and throw the rest away."
"Oh my gosh I smoked the whole pack and now I'm out of cigarettes!"

The longer you stay away from it, the less you will crave it. I promise you this is true.

Speaking for myself, you couldn't pay me to eat an Oreo cake. And I'm glad I'm that way.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 01:13 PM   #4  
Kickin PCOS's Butt!

S/C/G: 240/Ticker/150 Ultimate Goal

Height: 5' 3"

It's hard. I struggle with it often too. One thing I have learned for myself is if I HAVE to have a treat, it has to be very calorie controlled. And the rest of the day has to match eating something like that.
But like I said, I struggle with it too. Even in other areas of my life and struggles, I wonder why I often make the same mistake time and time again. I think its human nature. Learning is always a process, and from each experience hopefully you are adding a little experience to your life that ultimately will help you further down the road.
But honestly, next time you see something like the oreo cake that you really want, find an alternative. Tell yourself if you pass up on that you can get a candy bar, or maybe find some of those individually packaged Oreos. At least that way there are only so many of them, and even if you eat them all you know how many calories are in them. It DOES make a difference.
You can do it!
PinkHoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 05:14 PM   #5  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

I have to disagree with swapping one sugary treat for another. That's like switching brands of cigarettes.

Jay
Old 10-08-2010, 06:38 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 145/125/123

Height: 5'4"

Hey I ate a whole bagel with hazelnut cream cheese this morning WHILE I WAS WORKING so I didn't even enjoy it. AAAAhhhhh. All I can say is that tomorrow is another day to start over and eat healthily. And tonight I'll go for a long walk.
Just Dance Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 06:46 PM   #7  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

I think for me, there's a mix of stuff that happens when I eat something that goes against my goal of losing weight.

--that addictive quality some foods have (esp stuff like sweets, chocolate and potato chips)
--habit (come home and open the cupboard and eat X)
--immediate gratification (lots of foods are pleasurable to eat)
--comfort/emotional eating (being tired, upset, stressed and eating to feel better or getting some relief)

sometimes it's a mix of the above.

it's like having this list of targets, and figuring out strategies to deal with each target effectively.

like the oreo cake may be an immediate gratification thing for you. one strategy might be to make sure you've eaten before you go to the store, bring a list with you, and commit to buying only what's on the list.

I also think it's important to make sure I'm enjoying what I'm eating, because I'm much more likely to stray to high calorie food territory if I'm feeling deprived.

Hope that helps.
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 07:05 PM   #8  
Kickin PCOS's Butt!

S/C/G: 240/Ticker/150 Ultimate Goal

Height: 5' 3"

Well it has made a difference for me.
PinkHoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 07:39 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 209/178.8/150

Height: 5'4''

One good thing I've been doing when I have those cravings, is chewing gum. I get a good flavor in my mouth, and I am satisfied.

And there are these new gums out that are 5 calories and taste like desserts. I am chewing the mint chocolate chip right now. Life savers!
Razorbackbritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 10:13 PM   #10  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

PinkHoodie, yes, it sure has made a difference for you!

Jay
Old 10-08-2010, 11:51 PM   #11  
one choice at a time

S/C/G: 275/155/189/???

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorbackbritt View Post
And there are these new gums out that are 5 calories and taste like desserts. I am chewing the mint chocolate chip right now. Life savers!
I'm sorry to go off topic, but that sounds like something right out of Charlie & the Chocolate Factory. Better be careful that gum doesn't turn you into a blueberry!
carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 11:03 AM   #12  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by carter View Post
I'm sorry to go off topic, but that sounds like something right out of Charlie & the Chocolate Factory. Better be careful that gum doesn't turn you into a blueberry!
better than being Augustus and getting sucked up into the chocolate milk drainage pipe into the fudge room! (how sick is it that that actually sounds good to me!)
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 12:41 PM   #13  
soy un perdedor

S/C/G: 360/319.4/170

Height: 5'9"

I understand OP, it's part of the ongoing struggle if you have a weight problem. I think anyone who has been overweight and battled it has face this and probably still does. We aren't perfect beings, and a light doesn't just get permanently flipped once we decide to eat better and exercise. The good thing is, I really do think you can control it 99% of the time with some personalized strategies and repeated changed behaviors.

I wish I know the exact answer as to why we do that crap when we so clearly want the opposite. I'm saving myself all the money in therapy by just pushing through it.
fatgirlhealthyself is offline   Reply With Quote